Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NS-2

livan · 46 · 6849

ru Offline livan

NS-2
on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:13 PM
Friends, help with this problem. On the supply of Russian army adopted knife NA-2, altered copy of the Leatherman Wave. Can Leatherman Wave manufacturers have a claim? And what are the consequences?

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Re: NS-2
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:10:12 PM
Leatherman hold *lots* of patents on their tool designs, but enforcing them in Russia – especially against the Red Army – is probably impossible.

Just curiously, what are these tools for?

ru Offline livan

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:29 PM
Leatherman hold *lots* of patents on their tool designs, but enforcing them in Russia – especially against the Red Army – is probably impossible.

I know that the Russian army patents all their weapons systems ... So there are some arrangements or mechanisms of action ...

ru Offline livan

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:16:53 PM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:53 PM
Well, copyright is tricky.

It appears that Russia only recognizes patents newer than 1995 (when they joined the Berne Convention).
That would technically cover the Wave...

However, as long as that tool is not sold in the US, I seriously doubt that LM will start a legal battle over this.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ru Offline livan

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:50:32 PM
Well, copyright is tricky.

It appears that Russia only recognizes patents newer than 1995 (when they joined the Berne Convention).
That would technically cover the Wave...

However, as long as that tool is not sold in the US, I seriously doubt that LM will start a legal battle over this.
patent for Wave 2004

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:57:23 PM

The outside opening tool on the left looks like an awl, the inside opening tool on the right looks to be a scraper blade.

Copyright and Intellectual Property Law is funny. Despite the obvious copying of many of the Waves design elements, it might have enough "improvements to the copyrighted design" allow it to skirt copyright law. Kind of like the situation with the CRKT M-16 series and the Gerber Evo knife.

I for one want more information on this knife. Does that bit holder accept Leatherman bits? Any chance we can get a couple shipped to the states, maybe even a passaround?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:28:59 PM
Is it frozen in that picture?
I'm the milk man!

ru Offline livan

Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 11:35:26 PM
Is it frozen in that picture?
this test ....

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 11:37:54 PM
The outside opening tool on the left looks like an awl, the inside opening tool on the right looks to be a scraper blade.

Copyright and Intellectual Property Law is funny. Despite the obvious copying of many of the Waves design elements, it might have enough "improvements to the copyrighted design" allow it to skirt copyright law. Kind of like the situation with the CRKT M-16 series and the Gerber Evo knife.

Indeed, was talking about this just today, local hardware chain has what has to be one of the most obvious copies of a SAK (apart from actual fakes).

ru Offline livan

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:25 PM
I'm not sure that you can buy them, it is necessary to contact the manufacturer.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 12:06:04 AM

Yeah, some sort of awl, although I wonder what that notch is for.

The other one does look like some sort of scraper, reminds me of the multi-edge chisel blade on the SwissTools. I'm curious if they're specifically for weapon cleaning, like the carbon scraper on the Leatherman MUT.

ru Offline livan

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 12:17:50 AM

Yeah, some sort of awl, although I wonder what that notch is for.

The other one does look like some sort of scraper, reminds me of the multi-edge chisel blade on the SwissTools. I'm curious if they're specifically for weapon cleaning, like the carbon scraper on the Leatherman MUT.
I suppose that on the spire of the cutout sewing, shoemaking as a hook,
A flat tool to work with wires, unpacking trimming fuse.

ru Offline livan

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 12:22:36 AM

More photos found.

ru Offline livan

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 12:36:31 AM
More photos found.
Russian found
soldier with  NS2

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 02:50:35 AM
I like it. Website link?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 03:10:13 AM

More photos found.

Hmm… now that "scraper" look like it has two wire strippers on one edge, a cap lifter on the other edge, and I guess a scraper on the end. Two wire strippers, and what appears to be a C4 fuse-setting spike; an EOD model, perhaps?

Like the long driver bit, again reminds me of the MUT.

Patents & copyrights regardless, looks like a very interesting tool.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 05:53:59 AM
Mne eto nravitsya!

I'd love to check that out. Actually, I know several people who'd want to. I really like the multi purpose tool (scraper), and that the sheepsfooted the serreted blade, undoubtly for cutting webbing and the like without stabbing the guy tangled up in it. The Russians have always issued solid gear, and getting better. I'm certainly thinking this is probably optimized for sappers, spetznaz, and maybe their paras and naval infantry, so I'm wondering if there is a general issue version. Or if they are commercially available over there.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:00 AM
That's pretty neat! :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ru Offline livan

Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 09:09:04 AM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:12:51 AM by livan »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 09:43:20 AM
I'm not sure that you can buy them, it is necessary to contact the manufacturer.
If you can't buy them, then there is no copyright violation 8)

Seriously, if it is exclusively produced for the military then all bets are off.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:43:53 AM

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 01:10:57 PM
sweet, do want!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 03:57:13 AM
Even though it is EOD-model, i still want one. Outside access mega awl and can/bottle opener is sweet. The scraper/stripper thing looks cool, too. The little canvas looking sheath is awesome. Plus the fact that it is Russian puts it over the edge for me. Love all things Russia (well, not ALL things)

BTW, in the blog, the weird suit with all the little tubes - is that like a heated ultra-cold-weather suit? I only made it through about two Russian classes and the Cyrillic alphabet murders me, so I haven't a clue what it says. 
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 05:23:40 AM
BTW, in the blog, the weird suit with all the little tubes - is that like a heated ultra-cold-weather suit? I only made it through about two Russian classes and the Cyrillic alphabet murders me, so I haven't a clue what it says.

Cooling system worn under the armour. From what I can make out of the translator, the pictures and someone who knows a little russian who I asked to read it over, I'm guessing the suit in question is a hybrid between an EOD suit and heavy ballistic armour. Combat engineers, heavy on the combat and focused on MOUT. The Russians must have plans for this experiment, and it is going to be a rude surprise for someone.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ru Offline livan

Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 09:07:43 AM
Yes cooling tube suit the system can operate 24 hours. Author reportage dissatisfied versatile machete. She writes that her stamp manufacturer that he does not like. And the author has dealt products of this company.http://onepamop.livejournal.com/1011947.html

there is also written that the assault battalion was disbanded in 2009. But after the emergence of new threats in the Arab world and in Europe, restored and we just see his recovery.
Also, I spoke with the author multitool, he did not even know whether there is a special international patent for the Leatherman Wave
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:09:45 AM by livan »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:16 PM
With regards to patent issues, I think this tool is different enough that LM wouldn't be able to do anything even if they wanted to. Non-locking inner tools, different plier-head, different tool load, and the pivots at the bottom of the handles are executed differently than on Wave. The bit adapter and knives are very similar or the same, though.

Now, I have seen some LM ripoffs on Alibaba, or whatever that site is called, that would be vulnerable to legal action.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 04:52:56 PM
I want that tool!
I don't think its too similar with Wave either.
 :drool:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 09:44:13 PM
i really like the look of that tool. The tool set seems to be rather interessting.

Would be a nice tool for many purposes. It might look similar to the Wave, but it is not the same, imo.

Maybe that tool will appear on the market, if the manufacturer will see money to get. And... it would be a wave-like-tool with metric drivers!!  :cheers:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 11:26:07 PM
I want one of these for some reason.   It just looks cool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%