Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modding a Leatherman Juice - brass pins?

gb Offline shibafu

Modding a Leatherman Juice - brass pins?
on: April 21, 2016, 01:24:05 PM
I'm thinking of doing a slimline juice mod.  I know people have used 1/8" knife pivots for juice mods, but I'm having trouble sourcing them here without having to pay either high shipping costs or a big minimum order charge.  But I could source 1/8" brass pin stock easily.  My worry is whether brass will be tough enough to cope with the loads exerted by the pliers.  What do people think, can I get away with brass pins in a Juice?

My alternative is to try using A1 stainless, but I don't know how well my drilling and tapping methods will translate to the harder material.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Modding a Leatherman Juice - brass pins?
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:22 PM
I use brass for the pivots I make for Pioneers, and am currently using a single brass pivot in one side of the pliers on my modded Spirit.  I'm hoping they'll be OK. :-\

Actually, I reckon they'll be fine - the pliers pins are loaded in double shear, and as long as the screws almost meet in the middle of the pivot you'll get plenty of support from inside too.

I need to try some nickel silver - it's harder than the brass I use and should be slightly stronger too.

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:36:38 PM
I use brass as well for my sak mods and you could probably make do with it but the a1 would be better. As long as your tap and dies arnt super cheep ones I'd say they will be more than fine as long as you go slow and steady and use cutting oil. I still use my grandfathers ones on steel conduit at work 32mm thick just have to go slow and steady

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

From The Land DownUnder

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:53:56 PM
Brass is good for knife pivots, for sure.  It's what Victorinox use after all.  But it seems like the load on plier handle pivots could be a lot higher when you really squeeze on the pliers.  Nickel silver is an interesting option.  You can get bronze welding rods in 1/8" as well, I wonder if they'd be any good.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 04:45:40 PM
I would try it and see how it goes.  For a slim juice you could even try putting some force on the pins before preening to see if there are any problems.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:29:18 PM
I would try it and see how it goes.  For a slim juice you could even try putting some force on the pins before preening to see if there are any problems.

That's a good point yud.  I could test it and then remove the pins for inspection.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:55:22 PM
One other thing now that I am thinking of it.  The springs are exerting a fair amount of force even in their most neutral position.  On the bad side it should result in more deformation.  But the good thing about it is that it will take a lot of deformation before it is really noticeable.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:27:33 AM
The brass would work for the tools but probably not for the pliers. The best bet is to get 1/8 pivots as they fit perfectly.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:48:04 AM
Didnt someone (Syph maybe?) Have issues with the pivots causing galling though?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:35 PM
Didnt someone (Syph maybe?) Have issues with the pivots causing galling though?

It was J scew, and his problem was wight stainless.  He also said brass should work.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25552.0.html

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:46:27 AM
Does it have to be stainless?
I've used silver steel for similar jobs and it's good stuff.
Brass I think will be OK for a while but you'll end up replacing it before too long.
When I have used stainless I usually chop the head and threads off a suitable sized shouldered bolt and use that as the starting point. Actually I hate working with stainless, it's horrible stuff, but my best success has been using plenty of oil and very low tool speeds (whatever the tool may be - lathe, mill, drill etc..)

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 04:47:53 PM
Might I suggest a nickel welding rod. They make them in 1/8 and its soft enough to peen if you want. It work hardens also.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%