Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question on modding 93 mm Victorinox

Offline Psych

Question on modding 93 mm Victorinox
on: April 22, 2016, 04:19:48 PM
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt my first mod of a 93 mm Vic in the next week. I'm going to be using 1/8" pivot barrels in the mod and I'm wondering if the holes in the scales need to be drilled all the way through to 1/8" and then countersunk on the front of the scale. Does anyone have advice on this? I've read up on other modding posts here but it wasn't clear whether the holes in the scales were drilled completely out to the diameter of the pivot barrel.

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Question on modding 93 mm Victorinox
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:40:54 PM
Yes drilled through and counter sunk. Wait until the pivots get to you so you can use the screws to countersink to the proper depth. Also make sure to sand the tool holes with sandpaper to smooth it out.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34:03 PM
Since this is here already....

Drill bits seem to be slightly smaller than the size advertized (2.5mm bits are actually 2.48mm, for example). How do machinists normally handle this, when pin stock and pivot tubes are pretty dead on, if not slightly larger?

For example: I have a 2.5mm (actually 2.49mm) drill bit, and 2.5mm pin stock. Would I need to get a 3mm drill bit for this pin stock (lets assume sanding down the pin stock is not uneconomic)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 10:45:20 AM

Drill bits seem to be slightly smaller than the size advertized (2.5mm bits are actually 2.48mm, for example). How do machinists normally handle this, when pin stock and pivot tubes are pretty dead on, if not slightly larger?

For example: I have a 2.5mm (actually 2.49mm) drill bit, and 2.5mm pin stock. Would I need to get a 3mm drill bit for this pin stock (lets assume sanding down the pin stock is not uneconomic)

Depending on your tool setup I think you'll get away with just moving the drill bit in and out a bit. At least my drill don't have that kind of precision. A machinist working with high precision tool would probably ream out the hole if precision is important. You might also consider a round jeweler's file or something similar.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 06:04:36 PM

There are a LOT more drill sizes than you realize, for this exact reason. Given a nominal hole size, the machinist has to also deal with different classes of "fit", between "pound-it-in" to "press fit" to "snug" to "spins-freely." That's why there are a whole series of "gauge" sizes, in many more slight gradations of diameter than typical english or metric.

A full set of gauge drill isn't cheap, but if you can find a source that'll sell you a few, you can get what you need. In your case, a #39 (2.527mm) or #38 (2.578mm) would allow easy fitting of your 2.5mm pin stock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_sizes

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 07:08:14 PM
Thats what I assumed about the gauge sizes, I just couldnt find any good info on it.

Thanks for the heads up
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 07:38:13 PM by sLaughterMed »

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00:10 PM

Short answer is drill bits are not used for precise holes.  Normally you drill close, then use a reamer for a precise fit.  That is the standard way knifemakers do it for pivot based folders.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 04:23:46 AM
Good to know :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%