Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Serrated Delica or Salt 1

Corwyn · 12 · 1141

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Serrated Delica or Salt 1
on: April 25, 2016, 07:16:49 AM
I want something lighter and smaller than my PM2 but more substantial than my DF2 and preferably serrated as I see myself mostly using it to cut rope, open boxes and cut branches...

Apart from the blunted, less serrated tip and the difference in steel, what else differs between the Delica and the Salt?
Also, which one is better for serrations: VG10 or H1?

What versions are there available? Did I miss any cool one?
Delica SE SS - I hate Stainless Steel handles
Delica SE FFG Black FRN - a bit plain and common
Salt 1 1 FFG Black FRN - even more plain and common
Salt 1 2 FFG Yellow FRN - kind of cool, but it stands out too much and yellow doesn't feel edc-ish
Salt 1 2 FFG Black FRN BO blade - seems the nicest choice, but it's a bit expensive and I'd prefer a pointier Delica...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Serrated Delica or Salt 1
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:35:00 AM
I will answer in full later, but you could do the Delica in black FRN and BO blade in half serrated. Best of both worlds for you. You still get serrations and the pointier tip.

Not sure why you "need" the pointier tip though? The Salt 1 tip is still very capable of stabbing.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:23:51 PM
I would say that half serrated is the worst of both worlds.  On a Delica, you only get about 1.5" of each.  And there is no such thing as a partially serrated Salt.

As between a Delica SE and Salt SE, I don't see a much of a difference except that you get the H1 steel on the Salt.  I find VG-10 to be highly rust resistant, so H1 is not really needed unless the knife is going to stay wet or you just like the yellow or black scale color.

I love serrated blades, and with not much effort you can do just about anything with a serrated blade that you can do with a plain edge.  But the serrated edge also eats up rope, fiberous material, garden hose and cardboard like Honey Boo Boo's mother after a day of fasting.  And it keeps a working edge longer.

Pacific Salt SE.

Offline Mattexian

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:51 PM
There's a combo edge VG-10 with the foliage green FRN, that I've used for lots of jobs.  I can kinda understand the "pointy" issue, I ground down the "break resistant" hump near the tip on mine.  It's not as noticeable with the FFG blades.

If you insist on "pointy", there's some Kahr Arms branded Delicas that are slightly shorter with a Wharncliff style blade, in either khaki, denim, or black FRN.  Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock in most places. 

I drooled over the khaki one, but couldn't work up the enthusiasm for the higher price, when the foliage green *mostly* blends into my work khakis.  Similarly,  the gray FRN of the Super Blue Delica doesn't stand out too much.  Cleaning the black paint off the clip helps in toning down how much they stand out also.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:37:08 PM
That's a tough call.  I like both, the Delica and the Salt 1.

As others may have mentioned, the VG-10 is highly rust resistant to where as you just dry it out if you get it wet and should not have any issues unless constantly submerged in water.  They do have liners or other parts that may rust up over time if not taken care of and I this would be a reason for wanting a Salt 1.

They are very similar in size!
Delica_Salt1.jpg
* Delica_Salt1.jpg (Filesize: 343.45 KB)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:06:20 PM
I've got a 50/50 black FRN Delica that I really like. Its super light weight and extremely sharp. I also own a big and small salt (Delica/Endura) both with yellow FRN handles. The salts are good for corrosion resistance but I don't feel they hold an edge as well as VG10. Seems like the bigger salt is never quite as sharp as I feel it should be. I use to own a Calypso in VG10 and it was fully serrated, sharpest serrated bugger I've ever had. I want another fully serrated blade because sypderco serrations are really good.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 03:04:39 PM
Not sure if its mentioned but the biggest difference between the Salt 1 and the Delica is the liners in the Delica.
The Salt is really lightweight when compared to the Delica as there are no liners.
It also has the older Delica 2/3 style grip, slightly different ergonomics. Nothing bad but different.

Go ZDP189 in the Delica if you want to split the difference between a DF2 and PM2.
If you want serrations get the Salt in H1 (Black)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 03:18:56 PM
Not sure if its mentioned but the biggest difference between the Salt 1 and the Delica is the liners in the Delica.
The Salt is really lightweight when compared to the Delica as there are no liners.
It also has the older Delica 2/3 style grip, slightly different ergonomics. Nothing bad but different.

Go ZDP189 in the Delica if you want to split the difference between a DF2 and PM2.
If you want serrations get the Salt in H1 (Black)

I agree, but do not like ZDP-189. Its extremely hard which is great for edge retention, but is next to impossible to sharpen. I like my steels in the VG-10, 154CM, S30V, range personally. Best of both worlds in those steels.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 03:24:11 PM
Some quick  H-1 pics.

I'm the milk man!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 01:42:10 PM
Well, thanks to this place and you people, all I need to determine is:
Pacific Salt

or

Atlantic Salt

:facepalm:

Yellow, H1, Spyder edge.....this I know.
Where the money's supposed to come from, no idea.......

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 03:03:24 PM
As I see serrations for a bigger work knife (not this discussion) you have hit the nail on the head.

Old Endura style or more modern choil and sheepsfoot.
If I was actually on a boat it would be Atlantic but the Pacific is one of my top 5 of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 03:03:22 PM
 :facepalm:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%