Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wrench to partner MT

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Wrench to partner MT
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:23:47 AM
I can vouch for the Knipex Pliers wrench. It may be pricey, but it is very much worth it. I have both the 7in and the 7in Cobra. By far I use the pliers wrench more. If you are looking to compliment the wave, that would be my vote.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Offline maximus0723

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:51:21 AM
I can vouch for the Knipex Pliers wrench. It may be pricey, but it is very much worth it. I have both the 7in and the 7in Cobra. By far I use the pliers wrench more. If you are looking to compliment the wave, that would be my vote.
Thanks for quick reply.

Have you used their "mini pliers wrench"?
http://knipex-tools.com/index.php?id=1023&page=group_detail&parentID=1368&groupID=1500

It's 5", 3.7 oz and covers 7/8" maximal bolt size vs. 7 1/4" one that is 9oz and covers 1 3/8" bolt size.
I am mainly looking to EDC this around the home, in the yard, garage things like that. I feel 5" one would suffice for my purposes.
I know best solution would be to get both and see which one fits my needs and keep the other one in bigger tool kit. But there are expensive so I would just rather get one right now.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:32:13 AM
I'd be inclined to go for the Knipex Cobra version, as it will also grip things like pipes that don't have flat parallel surfaces, and the teeth in the jaws will give you a more aggressive grip on slippery things, as well as being a bit lighter and more compact.  I have both the plier wrench and the cobra styles.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=&groupID=1501&artID=30068
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:34:33 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:19:54 AM
Id go with the Cobras. Search the forum for the sale that might still be active.

Make sure you get the grips linked above, otherwise they don't feel too good in your pocket.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:07:29 PM
I have the smallest Knipex Cobra pliers and Knipex Plier Wrench.   For pocket/belt carry, the Cobra pliers covers more bases and weighs less (3.1 vs 3.7 ounces).  The grippy Cobra jaws can mar fasteners, so I don't used them on nuts and bolts if a wrench is available instead.

The Cobra pliers is sitting in my jean front pocket as I type this.   :)

Edited to add that I rarely carry both a pliers multitool and Cobra pliers at the same time due to weight.  I often carry a Cobra pliers paired with a Leatherman knife/screwdriver when not carrying a Rebar, Spirit, or other pliers style multitool.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:12:41 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline maximus0723

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:22:42 AM
I have the smallest Knipex Cobra pliers and Knipex Plier Wrench.   For pocket/belt carry, the Cobra pliers covers more bases and weighs less (3.1 vs 3.7 ounces).  The grippy Cobra jaws can mar fasteners, so I don't used them on nuts and bolts if a wrench is available instead.

The Cobra pliers is sitting in my jean front pocket as I type this.   :)

Edited to add that I rarely carry both a pliers multitool and Cobra pliers at the same time due to weight.  I often carry a Cobra pliers paired with a Leatherman knife/screwdriver when not carrying a Rebar, Spirit, or other pliers style multitool.
Damaging of nuts is was also my main worry with Cobra. I am not sure but how bad of a problem is it?
So far, I have watched some videos on youtube and it didn't seem too bad.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:27:55 AM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:46:21 AM
Damaging of nuts is was also my main worry with Cobra. I am not sure but how bad of a problem is it?

I am not concerned about the marring if I use the Cobra pliers (or any pliers) once or twice on the same fastener, but I wouldn't use it to make frequent adjustments on the same nut or bolt.

I use it on a nut or bolt if I am away from home and without access to a flat jaw wrench.  A real world example of Cobra wrench use is tightening the nut holding a wobbly table leg when visiting a coffee shop or bookstore.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline maximus0723

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 11:29:05 AM

I am not concerned about the marring if I use the Cobra pliers (or any pliers) once or twice on the same fastener, but I wouldn't use it to make frequent adjustments on the same nut or bolt.

I use it on a nut or bolt if I am away from home and without access to a flat jaw wrench.  A real world example of Cobra wrench use is tightening the nut holding a wobbly table leg when visiting a coffee shop or bookstore.
Thanks for answering my questions. Very helpful.

Have you considered something like the Loggerhead Immix?

http://multitool.org/reviews/miscellaneous-tools-68/large-tools/146-loggerhead-immix-10.html

Def
Yes. I have also been looking at loggerhead bionic wrench or craftsman max axess locking wrench.
But I am leaning towards the Knipex pliers secondary to open ended jaws, quality, and weight.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 02:00:13 PM
Have you thought about a pair of Irwin/Vice Grip GV6 and an adjustable wrench.

I don't know anything about KNIPEX but Irwin/Vice Grip are a good affordable tool. No matter how much you spend on pliers they all have their limits. You only have so much grip and beyond that it's time for dedicated sockets.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 10:31:45 PM
I have a few different size of knipex cobras and a 8inch plier wrench, the cobras 125mm are in my pocket every day at work and certainly earn there money! I have a larger set of irwin grips and they are also superb....if you are looking for a adjustable wrench look at the bahco range they do a 6inch wide mouthed adjustable spanner.  I have a 8inch version and its super handy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:25 PM
I went through this same decision about a month ago. I decided on the 5inch Cobra instead of the pliers wrench for EDC as it is more versatile. It might damage a nut, but I figure I will only use it in emergencies on nuts and bolts. It is small and light, and fits nicely into the Maxpedition EDC organiser with the Rebar, bit kit etc.

I did however get the bigger 6 inch Cobra and pliers wrench for small jobs around the house. I've used the Cobra a handful of times already, but the pliers wrench only once... They make a mean combo.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:56:57 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69