Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best deal you never got?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Best deal you never got?
on: April 30, 2016, 03:28:17 AM
Just for fun, whats the best deal you never got? I want to hear about the deals you are just kicking yourself for not picking up. An eBay auction you decided against? Pawn shop find that wasnt there the next day? Craigslist listing that had sold an hour before?

For me, it hppened when I first started to get into gathering multitools. I noticed an ebay listing for a Leatherman Flair, in decent nick. The title liated it as a "Leatherman Tool" and as such it went for the incredibly low price of $25. I watched the timer count down to zero, but decided not to bid, as I was aiming for a $20 Rebar instead. Im still kicking myself for deciding against that.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Best deal you never got?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:55:26 AM
I could have had some Damascus pioneers for €300 a few years ago but the price was more than their original price, so I did not get them... And then they started going for 3 times that .
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:03 AM
I could have had some Damascus pioneers for €300 a few years ago but the price was more than their original price, so I did not get them... And then they started going for 3 times that .
Holy smoke.  :o
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 10:06:45 AM
My story is worse than 'the deal I never got'.

I saw a Vic Damascus Climber on a SAK webstore in 2011 for the normal price - which of course was not cheap - So I baulked. This was before my SAK collecting madness started.

Could not get it out of my head for a year or so - and evenually decided I really wanted one - so spent ages looking for one and finally got one for 1.5 or 2 x the original price and stupid postage costs :facepalm:

Lesson in life: "He who hesitates looses"

... Although 2 years on I reckon it is probably worth more than what I paid or at least close to that - Phew   

fi Offline Padre

Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:45:27 PM
Just recently found a sweet Gerber MP500, but decided not to buy it. Few weeks later it was gone.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:53:12 PM
Just recently found a sweet Gerber MP500, but decided not to buy it. Few weeks later it was gone.
500 Recoil? Or typo'd MP600?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fi Offline Padre

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 04:41:35 PM
500 Recoil? Or typo'd MP600?

Five hundred. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 04:48:42 PM
I have let countless deals on Ebay go :poh: I almost bid and think no it will go to high and then ends up having only one or two bids :bnghd: I try and just things like that go :D

I did hesitate on a very good condition OG Supertool with a BIN price of around  :think: $19.88 or something with free shipping several years back. I looked at it a few times the day or so before and at 8 pm that night and then by 9 or 9:30 decided to buy it but it was to late somebody had snagged it :-[ Hope they enjoyed it as much as I would have and it has a good home though :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:53:01 AM
Another Pioneer Damascus story. Saw one in a shop in Amsterdam for 200 euros when they first came out. Thought that was too much and figured I 'd get one for less when I got home. Home two weeks later, and there's none to be found.  :ahhh

us Offline Wanimator

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:51:35 AM
Brand new Leatherman Waves for 20 dollars a piece at a store.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 04:16:42 AM
I let a multi knife lot get away on ebay that had a load of run-of-the-mill SAKs and junk but a VGC silver ribbed Voyageur as the jewel in the crown. Ended up going for about $60 which you probably could have recovered from selling the 10 or so other knives in the lot.
Oh well, at least it wasn't a red one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD