Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Loose tools on original Leatherman PST

Offline mikekoz

Loose tools on original Leatherman PST
on: May 02, 2016, 04:48:57 AM
   I picked up one of these at the end of last year in good condition, but it has one problem. The tools on one side of the handle are very loose, and when you turn it upside down, they just open by themselves and dangle. I can tighten the pivot with a pair of needle nose pliers, but they always loosen after a few times when any of the tools are opened and closed. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!

us Offline Wanimator

Re: Loose tools on original Leatherman PST
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:50:45 AM
Use the warranty service, they'll take care of you. Make sure to tell them the problem.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 05:39:16 AM
   I picked up one of these at the end of last year in good condition, but it has one problem. The tools on one side of the handle are very loose, and when you turn it upside down, they just open by themselves and dangle. I can tighten the pivot with a pair of needle nose pliers, but they always loosen after a few times when any of the tools are opened and closed. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be appreciated!

Loosen the screw all the way out and apply some loctite before you tighten it back up.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:59:01 AM

Loosen the screw all the way out and apply some loctite before you tighten it back up.

That is what I was gonna recommend as well :tu: Also when you tighten it up don't overtighten it but don't undertighten it either :D You have to find a happy in between where the tools come out easy but not to easy as yours are now :tu: Then let the Loctite dry before using the tool anymore, good luck with it :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:04 AM
Use the warranty service, they'll take care of you. Make sure to tell them the problem.

If you go this route they make fix the tool up for you fine but just make sure you tell them you don't want a replacement or you will end up with a Rebar more than likely. That may be fine by you though but I would rather keep my PST and just buy a Rebar :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:03:50 AM

That is what I was gonna recommend as well :tu: Also when you tighten it up don't overtighten it but don't undertighten it either :D You have to find a happy in between where the tools come out easy but not to easy as yours are now :tu: Then let the Loctite dry before using the tool anymore, good luck with it :cheers:

:imws:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:38:25 AM
   Thanks everybody. I guess I will just mess with it this weekend. I do not want to send it to Leatherman. It is one of the older PST tools with "USA" still on the pliers. I just got it to have it, plus it was a good deal. It is too uncomfortable in the hand to actually use. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%