Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A discovery

yud · 17 · 1928

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
A discovery
on: May 02, 2016, 09:15:04 PM
Alright so I went to SMKW today and found something in the basement (where they sell the knife making supplies and do sharpening), Powerlock knives, saws, Philips, and files (the good files if you know what I mean), all for $.99 each. It looks like they bought out leftovers from the Harley branded tools.  I bought a couple files and a serrated blade.  Unfortunately I don't have my SOGs on hand to confirm.

If they check out this is like finding, I don't know the SOG fountain of youth, bits of the true cross, the check for the last brunch, something like that.

Also SOG is making a Powerlock for travel.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: A discovery
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:35:43 PM
Less than a dollar?  Sounds like a great find. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:46:24 AM
Not quite the discovery you think you found Yud... http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=39357.0

Looks like they took the parts off their online store though. They used to be there 6 or so months ago
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:28 PM
Not quite the discovery you think you found Yud... http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=39357.0

Looks like they took the parts off their online store though. They used to be there 6 or so months ago

Alright a rediscovery,  :doh: 

At any rate they are still there and files look good.  If anyone needed good SOG files.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:21:01 PM

At any rate they are still there and files look good.  If anyone needed good SOG files.

Oh, yes, I tried cutting one out from a flat file but it seems I was to generous with the cooling water and not enough with getting it dry. So it rusted (still better than the original).

If anyone finds themselves with some extra or have plans to pick up on this deal I'd be happy to pay for the tools and the transport. I'd be interested in most of the tools so I could try them out (basically PE-blade, File, Saw, Cap-lifter/can opener combo-tool and drivers depending on availability).

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:52:06 PM
how do you go about getting them?  I'd be interested in a handful of "good" files, or something to improve the existing on my BO Powerlock and SS PPP.  Is this a local residents only thing?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:19:30 PM

Oh, yes, I tried cutting one out from a flat file but it seems I was to generous with the cooling water and not enough with getting it dry. So it rusted (still better than the original).

If anyone finds themselves with some extra or have plans to pick up on this deal I'd be happy to pay for the tools and the transport. I'd be interested in most of the tools so I could try them out (basically PE-blade, File, Saw, Cap-lifter/can opener combo-tool and drivers depending on availability).

I have many SOG parts that I don't use, in case you are interested. PM if so!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:49 PM
how do you go about getting them?  I'd be interested in a handful of "good" files, or something to improve the existing on my BO Powerlock and SS PPP.  Is this a local residents only thing?

Call them up and ask for the knife sharpening guys.  They a Harley Davidson blades.  I don't know what they would do for shipping.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:50:59 PM
Alright so I went to SMKW today and found something in the basement (where they sell the knife making supplies and do sharpening), Powerlock knives, saws, Philips, and files (the good files if you know what I mean), all for $.99 each. It looks like they bought out leftovers from the Harley branded tools.  I bought a couple files and a serrated blade.  Unfortunately I don't have my SOGs on hand to confirm.

If they check out this is like finding, I don't know the SOG fountain of youth, bits of the true cross, the check for the last brunch, something like that.

SMKW ????????  ??? ??? ???

Smoky Mountain Knife Works

There are non USA members   :think:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:52:06 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

SMKW ????????  ??? ??? ???

Smoky Mountain Knife Works

There are non USA members   :think:

:oops: sorry sometimes I don't think before I use an abbreviation.

But yes Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:44 AM
Mmhmm, it's been a while since I've been there, but when I do make stops, I try to pick some up for people interested on here.  If I have some time off soonish (of which I actually will, since I have at least a couple weeks off before summer semester begins - assuming I get into the course I want), I might make another pilgrimage up there to see what goodies they have.  The only bad things about SMKW are their prices, which are understandably higher than say, eBay, and the 10% sales tax.  :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:36:24 AM
Mmhmm, it's been a while since I've been there, but when I do make stops, I try to pick some up for people interested on here.  If I have some time off soonish (of which I actually will, since I have at least a couple weeks off before summer semester begins - assuming I get into the course I want), I might make another pilgrimage up there to see what goodies they have.  The only bad things about SMKW are their prices, which are understandably higher than say, eBay, and the 10% sales tax.  :ahhh

Long time no see Sazabi :cheers:

If you never know any better (like me) ;) then you always include the 9.75% tax in when buying anything :D

SMKW is pretty high on stuff though but if you want a sharp and shiny then more than likely they have it and it's in stock :tu:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 04:49:46 AM
Heya Poncho, I've been lurking, mostly, other than simultaneously expanding and shrinking my collection of goodies. :D I look at SMKW as a place to actually see something in hand before I blindly buy it; many a knife and flashlight I have purchased from there. :)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 03:37:39 AM
In person I don't think their prices are that bad, even with 10% tax, although I did go to school in Tennessee so maybe I am just use to it (also Amazon charges sales tax in TN).  That said their shipping is rather steep.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 03:58:11 PM
The files don't fit on a Paratool, but the blade sort of does.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 05:35:03 PM
That's one of the quirks of the Paratool. Modern SOG long tools are just a couple mm too long to fit into the Paratool unmodified. I think the fully serrated blade is the only modern long tool that fits correctly.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 10:22:25 PM
That's one of the quirks of the Paratool. Modern SOG long tools are just a couple mm too long to fit into the Paratool unmodified. I think the fully serrated blade is the only modern long tool that fits correctly.
The modern file does.

I have lost a lot of memory of what fits where.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44