Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first proper SOG

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
My first proper SOG
on: May 03, 2016, 03:58:21 AM
Sure I have a Paladin but never a SOG MT that had SOG on it :D I was browsing a hardware store Saturday and found this dusty old clam pack sitting there :ahhh

It is a Master Mechanic but also written on it is Pocket Power Plier :tu: The packaging isn't very SOG like so I imagine that why it had sat there so long.  The copyright date was from 1999 :o I live 40 mins or so from that particular hardware store and it is in a direction I hardly ever go but next time I am that way I am gonna look really hard to see if they have any more of these :cheers:

The tool selection is minimal but can other tools be easily found for the PPP or do LM spare parts work? I know little about SOG so any advice will help :cheers: Couple more pics of it and my Paladin P-510

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:04:43 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: My first proper SOG
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:09:35 AM
Leatherman tools wont work, they won't really snap, and most of the small tools wont really fit in anyhow.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:10:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback sLaughter bad about the tools but I will find something somewhere hopefully :salute:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:11 AM
The tool selection is minimal but can other tools be easily found for the PPP or do LM spare parts work? I know little about SOG so any advice will help :cheers:
Replacement SOG tool components for their "Power" line of MTs are reasonably easy to find, but given the tight space in the PPP handles you can't fit too many in there.

What SOG components are you after ?

BTW, SOG re-labelled their tools for several other brands.  Besides Paladin & Master Mechanic, there are Harley Davidson, Penn, Stanley Maxedge and West Marine.  Does anyone know of any other brands I don't know about ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:52:57 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:21:27 PM
Very cool to find it still sitting there. How much was it if you do not mind me asking?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 01:12:26 PM
Nice score Poncho!

@Greg, I think that is all of the brands, or that I am aware of anyways.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:25 PM
Very cool to find it still sitting there. How much was it if you do not mind me asking?

A whopping $19.99 :ahhh I was very happy to say the least :D The woman there told me they had marked it down several times over the years but I guess the packaging just steered people away :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:44:52 PM
The tool selection is minimal but can other tools be easily found for the PPP or do LM spare parts work? I know little about SOG so any advice will help :cheers:
Replacement SOG tool components for their "Power" line of MTs are reasonably easy to find, but given the tight space in the PPP handles you can't fit too many in there.

BTW, SOG re-labelled their tools for several other brands.  Besides Paladin & Master Mechanic, there are Harley Davidson, Penn, Stanley Maxedge and West Marine.  Does anyone know of any other brands I don't know about ?

I would love to swap out the blade to plain edge but don't know if SOG made any for the PPP cause all that I have ever seen is a couple variations of the combo blade.  I really don't know what all I would like in it but scissors would be nice and their V cutter but that may be Powerlock only :think:

If I could find a few things to add in it I might possible try carrying it :tu:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 01:45:32 PM
Sweet

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 01:50:10 PM
They still make the PE blade. It will fit in the PPP, PL, PT and SP2. Might have to look around or hit the SOG website.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:21:08 PM

I would love to swap out the blade to plain edge but don't know if SOG made any for the PPP cause all that I have ever seen is a couple variations of the combo blade.  I really don't know what all I would like in it but scissors would be nice and their V cutter but that may be Powerlock only :think:

I have a PPP with a Plain Edge, and the other is the usual combo edge.

I don't know why, but it came that way (I bought it second hand) and asked about info in this very forum last month.

Much nicer than partially serrated, IMO, and the reason why I carry this PPP more than the other one.

Great way to get into SOG, BTW!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 02:49:24 PM
Great find!  I like the toolset as well, so I wouldn't mind having one of these if you find another.   What is the tool opposite the blade on the same handle?  Some kind of saw blade receptacle?  I'm still a bit annoyed that I never picked up one of the West Marine PPPs when they had them for $13.

Yesterday I found a new in well-worn box 20+ year old US made Vise Grip welding clamp at the local Farm Bureau store (local farm supply chain that's been around over a century), and I know why it's set that long--they want $30 for them!   It may very well be the last set still being sold in a regular store (not a reseller or antique store type place) in SW Va.  At that price, it surprises me that PPP's been there that long. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:52:35 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 03:23:18 PM
I should have taken a better pic of the combo blade on the PPP cause it looks very similar to the LM older combo blade than what is on my Paladin :tu: Plus it is very shiny :dd:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 03:26:39 PM
Great find!  I like the toolset as well, so I wouldn't mind having one of these if you find another.   What is the tool opposite the blade on the same handle?  Some kind of saw blade receptacle?  I'm still a bit annoyed that I never picked up one of the West Marine PPPs when they had them for $13.

Yesterday I found a new in well-worn box 20+ year old US made Vise Grip welding clamp at the local Farm Bureau store (local farm supply chain that's been around over a century), and I know why it's set that long--they want $30 for them!   It may very well be the last set still being sold in a regular store (not a reseller or antique store type place) in SW Va.  At that price, it surprises me that PPP's been there that long.

You mean on the Paladin P-510 :think: It is a wire stripper, the Paladin was geared more toward use for an electrician :cheers:

The packaging isn't very SOG like and it took me a few minutes of looking to even notice it and then I noticed it was a SOG ;)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 05:38:31 PM

This link might help:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66055.msg1262841.html#msg1262841
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 06:53:08 PM

This link might help:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66055.msg1262841.html#msg1262841

What gets me is that I live only a couple hours from there and more than likely have been within a couple of feet from those extra SOG tools and never noticed them there :facepalm: :D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 02:19:35 AM
... I was browsing a hardware store Saturday and found this dusty old clam pack sitting there :ahhh

It is a Master Mechanic but also written on it is Pocket Power Plier :tu: ...

Same thing happened to me, but with a Master Mechanic version of the PowerLock.  Eventually, I gifted it away and kept the PowerLocks with gear covers.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 03:17:06 PM
... I was browsing a hardware store Saturday and found this dusty old clam pack sitting there :ahhh

It is a Master Mechanic but also written on it is Pocket Power Plier :tu: ...

Same thing happened to me, but with a Master Mechanic version of the PowerLock.  Eventually, I gifted it away and kept the PowerLocks with gear covers.

(Image removed from quote.)

I am thinking the Powerlock size will fit me better but never know til I track one down :D and it begins :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%