Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SwissChamp XLT - It's not big at all

sabesh · 25 · 5317

ca Offline sabesh

Victorinox SwissChamp XLT - It's not big at all
on: May 04, 2016, 02:04:39 AM
I've been looking for an upgrade to my Cybertool 34 for a while now. An SAK that I can carry everywhere with me, not being restricted by included tools. After some research here, the Victorinox SwissChamp XLT seemed to fit the bill. However, there are a large number of people describing it as "too big" or "unwieldy due to it size/design" etc.

I then sifted through posts by folks who advocated this SAK (kkokkolis, zoidberg, SAK Guy and a very few others - thank you!). I decided to take their word and ordered a new Victorinox SwissChamp XLT from Amazon Canada. I've been using it for about a week now, having it with me everyday. I'm absolutely loving this mini miracle of a tool! It's got so much functionality in a tiny form factor, that I'm pretty confident it can tackle any minor crisis that I may encounter on a day to day basis.

Anyways, I decided to post this, as I want to assure potential buyers on the fence that .. this SAK isn't that big at all. It's also quite easy to grip and use. If, like me, you are used to carrying a Multitool like the Leatherman Charge TTi, you will not find the XLT to be large.

Here's another thing: The CT34 in it's official sheath is slightly larger than the XLT in it's official sheath. Some pictures below. You can also see how small the XLT is, besides my watch :)  Thanks for reading!

CT34 and XLT in their sheaths:

Under my G-Shock watch:

Some shots of my XLT:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:08:26 AM by sabesh »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Victorinox SwissChamp XLT - It's not big at all
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:09 AM
Congrats Sabesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post!!! :cheers:   Glad you are liking it!!!! :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:52:27 AM
Nice watch mate.   :drool:   :drool:

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:51:13 AM
Nice watch mate.   :drool:   :drool:

+100  :drool:

And a nice knife, I like my XLT also  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:22:53 AM
Great write up  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:26:42 AM
Haha. All those little bling blings! :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:50:42 AM
More of a Bantam man myself...

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:09:28 AM
Nice little brick  :tu:

ca Offline sabesh

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 04:07:50 AM
Thx guys! I'm glad that you'all enjoyed the post. Cheers.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:55:46 PM
Unfortunately the price tag is still quite big, honestly speaking I'd probably be too squeamish about damaging that knife to use it much, at least if I bought a good condition one. Well for now my Swisschamp has to do, perhaps I should get the bit case and handle to complement it.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 02:47:45 AM
+1....great post!!! :2tu: :2tu:

Congrats Sabesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post!!! :cheers:   Glad you are liking it!!!! :salute:
Barry

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 05:01:42 AM
Which is next...the XXLT or the XAVT?  :pok:  :pok:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline sabesh

Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 08:42:10 AM
XLT is it, for me :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 04:56:46 PM
XLT is it, for me :)

+1!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

de Offline JM_Toolfan

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 01:55:47 AM
 :climber: Dear sabesh, just as you did I wondered whether the XLT might be too big before I actually had it in my pocket. I saw it was advertised by Victorinox themselves as a collection model and took the exact dimensions, comparing them to a king size cigarette box which is - apart the bigger width - almost the same. I decided that I had to try because even a cigarette box still fits into a trouser pocket (this was my main concern because I knew I wanted to EDC the XLT). I can say you are completely right! It is definitively NOT TOO BIG, it fits snugly both in the fist and in the pocket. And it relives you definitively from the worry where to make the compromise (compared to Cybertool, or normal Champ). I wear it without sheath in my pocket. it is getting dirty and slightly scratched by the keys, but it stands it - and it is always at hand! I can only advise all you guys and gals out there: save and accrue your money until it is sufficient for an XLT. You won't regret it!!!!

ca Offline sabesh

Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 01:28:44 PM
:climber: Dear sabesh, just as you did I wondered whether the XLT might be too big before I actually had it in my pocket. I saw it was advertised by Victorinox themselves as a collection model and took the exact dimensions, comparing them to a king size cigarette box which is - apart the bigger width - almost the same. I decided that I had to try because even a cigarette box still fits into a trouser pocket (this was my main concern because I knew I wanted to EDC the XLT). I can say you are completely right! It is definitively NOT TOO BIG, it fits snugly both in the fist and in the pocket. And it relives you definitively from the worry where to make the compromise (compared to Cybertool, or normal Champ). I wear it without sheath in my pocket. it is getting dirty and slightly scratched by the keys, but it stands it - and it is always at hand! I can only advise all you guys and gals out there: save and accrue your money until it is sufficient for an XLT. You won't regret it!!!!
Welcome to the club! I'm glad that you are enjoying the XLT - such an underrated SAK. Reading about your experience, I too tried out carrying it in my pants pocket with no sheath - it "sits" well and doesn't weigh much. I like! Thx.

Offline Bluermlou

Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 07:59:03 PM
ive had mine for roughly 2 months now and absolutely love it! i alternate weeks between it and the cybertool 41 during the weekdays (IT stuff.) i use mine in conjunction with the victorinox belt hanger clip (not the one with really long chain, but the one with very short one) works great!

de Offline JM_Toolfan

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 03:42:09 AM
To everyone who reads this:
Completely right, I did the same comparisons first.
I.e., I compared the XLT dimensions to a cigarette box
and decided to try.
I EDC'd a XLT for several years in my trouser,
and it gives you a LOT of satisfaction.
The people around you will get used to ask YOU to solve their problems.
Please note it fits in your trouser pocket only if you do without a sheath.
Regrettably, the XLT will deteriorate soon this way because of the
humidity and fluffs present in a trouser pocket.
But after all, what keeps up forever?
Please note also: "deteriorate" is very relative.
The essential parts are made of highest-quality special steel,
only the bits get a bit rusty over the time (which is hovewer no problem).
The rest can be cleaned from time to time.
The main blade, just as with a Swiss Champ, tends to get blunt
if you use it often, say to open plastic packages every day.
You can sharpen/hone it, however.
The chief impression is that main blade/pliers are better on a Wave/Charge TTi.
Also, the Wave/Charge TTi features a serrated blade the XLT lacks.
But the overall return in terms of usability is definitively better with a XLT!
And, look for occasions in Internet.
I paid my new XLT "only" 150 Euros.
It's definitively worth it. It's FAR less than for a TTi.
And, a Leatherman Wave/TTi (though that's really also good quality!)
has only HALF the functionality.
Especially the lens is lacking there.
I lost it after two years, but Victorinox sent me a spare lens at NO COST.
Please note I'm not a first-day enthusiast as the author above.
I bought my XLT years ago.
But it makes sense all the same.
The recommendation to accrue savings for a XLT is definitively in place!
Don't get down to compromises if you are in doubt and can afford a XLT!
It's better than a Leatherman Charge TTi, and costs far less.
You CAN EDC it if you like. It's NOT too big.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:06:42 AM by JM_Toolfan »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:32 AM
It’s very interesting to read the different perspectives everyone has.  :tu:

With that said, I don’t think that a SAK will “deteriorate” in your pocket.  :think:
Sure, it gets dirty. But that’s the way it is. If you carry it in a sheath or a bag, it will get dirty too, because you are using it.
At least it can be cleaned easily with warm water and soap.  :tu: ( Don’t let the bits fall down the hole in the sink!  :ahhh :D )

This is the first time I’ve heard of the bits rusting in a pocket.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 11:24:37 AM

With that said, I don’t think that a SAK will “deteriorate” in your pocket.  :think:
Sure, it gets dirty. But that’s the way it is. If you carry it in a sheath or a bag, it will get dirty too, because you are using it.
At least it can be cleaned easily with warm water and soap.  :tu: ( Don’t let the bits fall down the hole in the sink!  :ahhh :D )

+1

A Sak will only “deteriorate” in your pocket (and from use) if you let it....
I always pocket carry my sak's, and i tend to sweat quite a bit. Never had as much as a spot of rust or corrosion in any of them. Clean them out regularly (weekly), clean the tools with a damp rag, clean the dust and lint anywhere with a long small brush and oil the if needed, and don't carry them in a pocket with anything that might scratch it or ding it (no keys, coins, whatever) only my soft leather pouch that carries coins and keys. Doesn't scratch anything and helps to keep Sak's straight in pocket and comfortable to carry.

So unless one is sweating battery acid or sea water, doesn't clean/oil the Sak for years, and carries it in the pocket with a bunch of abrasive stuff like keys, coins, other sak's ot MT's,  clips, or whatever, of course they won't last long... At least good looking....   :think:
==============================================================

To the OP, congrats on your XLT and glad you are liking it.  :cheers:

The "big" or "not too big" part will always be very subjective to taste, needs, environment, weight, use, and willingness to carry or even the way you carry it...  :think:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:28:15 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 07:20:26 PM
To everyone who read this:

To everyone who reads this:.
Please note it fits in your trouser pocket only if you do without a sheath.

depends on the size of your trousers, and if you use a sheath, pouch, sleeve, caddy, organizer, foldable sheath, buttoned or velcro pouch, etc. really

only the bits get a bit rusty over the time (which is hovewer no problem).

probably because they are tool/carbon steel, thus their black color and matte finish

The main blade, just as with a Swiss Champ, tends to get blunt
if you use it often, say to open plastic packages every day.

all blades do, eventually, fortunately this one has a shape and steel that are very easy to sharpen

Also, the Wave/Charge TTi features a serrated blade the XLT lacks.
But the overall return in terms of usability is definitively better with a XLT!

not if you need a diamond file, strong grabbing jaws, one handed blades, a pocket clip, or a good belt/rope/plastic/fibrous materials cutting blade
-that depends on your blade and cutting needs. Try opening the XLT blade one handed, or stabbing, twisting, doing piercing cuts with it with downward pressure on thick material, and tell me how many fingers you have afterwards
-that depends on what do you use pliers for. Try twisting a nail, prying off a metal panel or bending thick wire with the ones on the XLT.

And, look for occasions in Internet.
I paid my new XLT "only" 150 Euros.
It's definitively worth it. It's FAR less than for a TTi.

that only applies to you, your local prices and your ability to find deals

And, a Leatherman Wave/TTi (though that's really also good quality!)
has only HALF the functionality.

not if you count the bit kit, the many functions of a diamond file, and the micro screwdriver with its dozen uses, as well as clipped carry, which allows it to ride on a pack, belt, MOLLE vest, pockets, clipped to clothes, straps, bags, and other media allowing quick access, availability and ease of deployment

Especially the lens is lacking there.
I lost it after two years, but Victorinox sent me a spare lens at NO COST.
Please note I'm not a first-day enthusiast as the author above.
I bought my XLT years ago.

great for you, but again that's personal preference, I EDC a loupe every day, so the lack of lens on the Leatherman is non-issue

It's better than a Leatherman Charge TTi, and costs far less.
You CAN EDC it if you like. It's NOT too big.

for you, your needs, in your country, at your prices, that's true. But thank you again for your contribution

it is indeed interesting to read, but some forget that this is their impression, based on their needs, uses and preferences, not a valid statement that applies to everyone

the bits are much more easy to rust that the SAK steel, because they are tool steel with more carbon for increased wear resistance and life span  :tu:
I have rusted bits several times, while the SAK itself remained pristine  :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 07:40:15 PM
I would like to add to TP's post, that Charge TTIs can be found second hand.
I got mine for €70 (retails for 180-200 here).
The chance of finding a second hand XLT for less then half the retail price is next to zero.

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:52 PM
I often EDC aCybertool 41 , and the extra tools would be nice . You are quite re assureing about the size . As for price , I’ll only go round the horn but once . The only add I might make is +Biancho G10 scales , preferably in Orange , in case I ever need air rescue !

Best Regards,

Chris

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 03:58:37 AM
My own personal "ceiling" for preferred width of a Swiss knife is a Ranger. I do have a CT41 that gets occasional carry, but only if I don't want/need full size pliers. If I do have full size pliers, I can share the tool load between the two tools, and have a slimmer knife.

Working from the CT41, and looking at the additions...

Inline Phillips and Magnifier:
If I have the Cybertool layer, I don't need the additional Phillips, and I've never really been that enamoured with the mag glass. While it's a decent size for a pocket knife, I still find the field of view restricting. Instead, I tend to have a True Utility eyeglass on a neck lanyard, or a fresnel lens in the wallet. The only other inline Phillips knives that I currently have here, are a Voyager Lite, which sports the light instead of the mag glass (and I do find the light more useful), and a modified Wenger which pairs the Phillips with a carabiner.

Electrician and Pruner blades:
Love the pruner blade! Never had an electrician blade knife. While I like Wharncliffe and sheepsfoot blades, I've never found that one particularly appealing for some reason... not sure why to be honest. However, this bringe the blade count to four, and that's two too many for me. Personally, I'd prefer a pruner blade in place of the pen blade, like on the Original Outdoorsman, and then the surplus blades can go...

Fish Tickler:
No thanks.

Tea stirring coke spoon:
I'll pass on that one too.

So the CT41 is a better fit for me personally, but I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone else away from the XLT if they think it will work for them. As to my liking of the slimmer knives, the Cybertool layer, and the pruner blade, one of my upcoming mods will be a Cybertool with that in mind  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 09:14:41 PM
I have a CT41 , and carry it quite often , no issues . Would like to have the pruner blade, and electrician blade .

Funnily enuff , pricing points are different here in Canada . An XLT is about $ 300.00ish BeaverBucks , a Charge +TTI is about $210-212.00 Beaver Bucks . So here it is actually cheaper . I have wanted an XLT for quite a while . It is about the outside edge , of what I would ever carry !

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD