Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Modern Alternatives

Offline jday2727

Modern Alternatives
on: May 05, 2016, 03:46:44 AM
Between my PSTs and my new Sideclip, I've been wandering about this. What currently produced LMs are most equivalent to the old models. To me it seems:
PST=Rebar
Sideclip=?
Mini Tool=Juice? What are your thoughts? I'm not necessarily taking about warranty replacements, just tool setup, size, etc.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Modern Alternatives
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:32:20 AM
I love the Rebar but sadly yes it is the PST replacement :-\ I just wished it had a diamond file and scissors :tu:

The Kick use to be the replacement for the Sideclip but nothing really fills that gap now for lightweight size anyways ::) The Rev is similar in some aspects as well as the Wingman and Sidekick (Well they all have clips anyways ;) )

The  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh to me doesn't have a replacement :( The Juice series was out before the demise of this tool back in 2004 so I don't think it was meant to be a replacement either :think:

The Supertool at least does have a replacement  the 300 is a bit wider and thicker but the tool compliment is the same :cheers:

Leatherman needs to come out with a tool like the Rebar with the Pulse toolset and call it the PST 3 :drool:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:31 AM
the Rev is the closest to the Sideclip (smallest drived is replces with a package opener). The Rebar is the current replacement for the PST. Id say the Blast was the spiritual successor to the Pulse, and the Fuse the successor to the PST II (and Kick to the Sideclip) but they are discontinued, and were all replaced with the Rebar
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:53:34 AM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline jday2727

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 05:10:30 AM
the Rev is the closest to the Sideclip (smallest drived is replces with a package opener). The Rebar is the current replacement for the PST. Id say the Blast was the spiritual successor to the Pulse, and the Fuse the successor to the PST II (and Kick to the Sideclip) but they are discontinued, and were all replaced with the Rebar
How thick/heavy in pocket is the rebar compared to the PST?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 06:27:17 AM
Not even close. The PST disappears. The Rebar is light but noticeable nonetheless. The only tool Leatherman makes that fits the Compact and light footprint of the Sideclip/pst is the Juice S2. The rev, wingman, and sidekick are limited tool wise, but have more weight and bulk than the Juice. I've grown fond of the old school Leathermans. Great engineering.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:45:36 PM
Not even close. The PST disappears. The Rebar is light but noticeable nonetheless. The only tool Leatherman makes that fits the Compact and light footprint of the Sideclip/pst is the Juice S2. The rev, wingman, and sidekick are limited tool wise, but have more weight and bulk than the Juice. I've grown fond of the old school Leathermans. Great engineering.

What he said :tu:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:31 PM
PST and PST2: 5 oz, closed lenght 4 inch, blade lenght 2,9 inch
Rebar: 6,7 oz, closed lenght 4 inch, blade lenght 2,9 inch

Same lenght, same blade lenght, but Rebar weights more due to more tools and replaceable cutters (due to strenghtening).

Rebar is the successor to PST.
Rev vs Sideclip? Close too but they don't remind me of themselves at all.
Sideclip is designed more towards handymen. It has superior drivers. Rev is like a hipster tool. Ruler is a joke compared to Sideclip.
Sideclip had its merits, Rev is like wounded Wingman.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:23:35 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!