Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alternative handle materials

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Alternative handle materials
on: May 05, 2016, 10:18:39 AM
I believe most wooden axe handles are made from Hickory? Wikipedia says the following about it's properties:

"Hickory wood is very hard, stiff, dense and shock resistant. There are woods that are stronger than hickory and woods that are harder, but the combination of strength, toughness, hardness and stiffness found in hickory wood is not found in any other commercial wood.[6] It is used for toolhandles, bows, wheel spokes, carts, drumsticks, lacrosse stick handles, golf clubshafts..."

So what are some other timbers (or even other materials) that have similar properties and could make a good substitute for forking out wads of cash for a hickory handle?

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Re: Alternative handle materials
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:25:18 AM
Here we use birch. Tough, straight grains and easy to get.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:42:54 AM
Birch, ash, maple, cherry, walnut...

Sometimes, but not always, making handles can be frustrating and quite time consuming.

Even fitting a bought handle can drive one bonkers.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:53:30 AM
How does Eucalyptus sit?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:26:12 PM
Here in the USA bought handles are most always Hickory but the grain is hit or miss ;) You get what you pay for kind of thing :D Cheap handles a lot of the times have grain going the wrong way and sometimes splinter if your not careful :ahhh I also collect old brick hammers and most of the time these come either with no handle or a really cruddy handle ::) So needless to say I have put quite a few handles in brick hammers as most bricklayers tend to be rough on their tools :D Putting a handle in any tool is a slow process though and take a lot of checking for a good fit :cheers: Good luck with whatever wood you end up with though and hope the fitting process goes smoothly :cheers:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 07:01:18 PM

Here in the UK we used to use Ash (but now they are all Hickory)
I have read that ‘fruit woods’ make a good handle, I also think Beech would make a good handle
Also if you are handling a smaller axe the type of wood will not be so crucial
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:52:46 AM
Hytest axes were available with American Hickory or Australian Spotted Gum handles

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 05:30:38 PM

I believe this is the tradition in these parts, I've also heard of cutting a line along the tree since the "scarring" will make for even stronger wood. I know my father started such a project 15-20 years ago but he hasn't found an axe to replace the handle on. As such, the tree is still standing (and showing the scarring).

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 05:44:38 PM

I believe this is the tradition in these parts, I've also heard of cutting a line along the tree since the "scarring" will make for even stronger wood. I know my father started such a project 15-20 years ago but he hasn't found an axe to replace the handle on. As such, the tree is still standing (and showing the scarring).
You are right. It was usual for men to cut line to the bark of young birch. It did toughen grains, and made great handle.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:10 PM

You are right. It was usual for men to cut line to the bark of young birch. It did toughen grains, and made great handle.

Any pics of this process?

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 07:26:27 PM

Any pics of this process?

Sorry, i have none. Maybe Fortytwo has.

It basically is straight line. Starts about 50-70 cm from ground, and maybe 100 cm long.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:36:04 PM
Sorry, I don't have any pictures at the moment (and the Birch in question is ~500km away) but I can try to keep this in mind for when I get there in June. The one my father started is a much shorter scar, more for a short backpack axe or such.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 08:44:58 PM
It's not a quick job either, we're talking a healing process of up to 20 years. In old times you might have "started" a few for your kids to use.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 03:42:38 PM

Here in the UK we used to use Ash (but now they are all Hickory)
I have read that ‘fruit woods’ make a good handle, I also think Beech would make a good handle
Also if you are handling a smaller axe the type of wood will not be so crucial

Interesting thread, somewhat of a problem for me as well....

Any more info on what kind of fruit trees would have suitable wood?

Both my CS hatchets are a problem, not enough meat on the handle to properly fit the head...  >:(

There is one local tree I've made surprisingly good walking sticks from, Rhus pendulina (White Karee), but there's always little cracks at the nodes when dry, so I don't think it would be suitable.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 10:19:37 PM

There is one local tree I've made surprisingly good walking sticks from, Rhus pendulina (White Karee), but there's always little cracks at the nodes when dry, so I don't think it would be suitable.   

I would give it a try Mate if the wood is free

I have a medium sized Hazel WIP somewhere in the garage
I have a couple of Apple logs sitting outside waiting to be made in to something...

Cherry mentioned here
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/11/12/how-to-carve-an-axe-handle-from-a-log/

Ash, Yew, Plumb, Apple, holly etc etc  http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?24673-Making-an-axe-handle

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:27:53 PM
I was walking in the neighbourhood and noticed this example of svällved (the Swedish term). Considering that there are houses all around I would bet it's a case of either vandalism or accident but the end result should be the same. Since they have taken most of the tree down I'm considering contacting local park administration and see if they are planning to remove the last stumps. Maybe if I show up when they do I might have it.

The close-up picture hopefully shows how the tree has grown in on itself while trying to heal. This is what makes the grain-structure so strong.
2016-05-17 16.46.05.jpg
* 2016-05-17 16.46.05.jpg (Filesize: 233.65 KB)
2016-05-17 16.46.13.jpg
* 2016-05-17 16.46.13.jpg (Filesize: 208.78 KB)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 02:37:04 PM
Very interesting, thanks.   :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 04:30:11 PM
Well if that isn't very intriguing :o Very good idea indeed :cheers: Generations of the past sure knew how to go about doing things the right way :tu: Old knowledge like this is being lost and needs to be saved :salute:

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 04:58:32 PM
Syncop8r, you've got some very capable woods in NZ-
try Manuka or Kanuka for your tool handles, I have a Manuka walking stick which is magnificent in flexibility and strength.
Maori used Manuka for their tools and even today Manuka/Kanuka is used for bows.

Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 02:56:09 AM
TRUE.
I have a kanuka walking stick. :)
It's light and very strong for it's (rather thin) girth.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%