Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Wave - Pivot screw is loose after 1 day?!

Wave97 · 10 · 3079

Offline Wave97

• New User
New Wave - Pivot screw is loose after 1 day?!
on: May 05, 2016, 08:32:35 PM
Hey folks,

yesterday my brand new Leatherman Wave came from Amazon, I'm really excited over my first multitool  :drool:

Today I tried some of the tools on it no problem, but when I checked it at home, I noticed that one "pivot screw" has loosened quite a bit! (At least I believe so)

It's the big "security torx" screw that holds the saw. It stands out ~2mm instead of being tight onto the saw tool.

Is this meant to be? Or has it become loose after 1 day? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks for your help and please apologize my english  ::)

Cheers
Ralph

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: New Wave - Pivot screw is loose after 1 day?!
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:45:45 PM
First, welcome aboard! :multi:

The Wave is a great choice of multi.

It sounds like the pivot screw may have missed getting thread locker applied when it was assembled.

What you'll need to get:
2x Torx T10 security bits (and something to turn them)
1x bottle of Loctite or other thread locker (I use Blue Loctite)

What to do:
  • Use the T10 bits to remove the loose screw
  • Apply thread locker to the threads of the screw
  • Tighten the screw back down until the tension is where you want it
  • Let thread locker set
  • Use your tool

That should sort you out. Plus you'll be able to adjust the tension on any of the other pivots on the tool with those bits and thread locker.

Cheers! :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:29:25 PM
What he said :D

Also welcome to the forum :tu:

Offline Wave97

• New User
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:36:46 PM
Thx for the answers guys,

I just took the thing apart and noticed that there indeed was some kind of pink thread locker in there!

The problem is a tiny metal ring placeholder thingy between the screw head and the saw, this thing prevents the screw from tightening against the saw  :think:

I wasn't able to figure out how to fix this issue, I will send it back to the retailer for a replacement...

Damn, I was so happy with the Wave, hope the replacement tool won't have those problems  :cry:

Anyways thanks a lot for the quick help  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
That washer is suppose to be there ;) Let's the tool open  and close without rubbing against the sides :cheers: once you put new thread lock and let it dry it should be fine :tu:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:26:42 AM
Nostalgically remembering the times when a flawless Leatherman Wave was one of life's certainties ...  ::)

I think it's great you guys try to help Wave97, and the advice given would probably solve the problem, but ...  isn't it sad that yet another Wave left the Leatherman factory in need of some TLC from its new owner ...

I mean, it's a Wave, probably Leathermans' most famous tool, people expect it to be perfect (at least I do), and a couple of years ago, it would have been perfect right away.  I already told you guys about the BO Wave I bought in March, it also came very loose (the pivots on the tools in the handle, as well as the ones on the pliers side), the safety lock that prevents the blades from opening while using the pliers, was too long on one side, so I couldn't open one of the blades and had to use a file to shorten the safety pin a bit ...

C'mon Leatherman, get your act together, please ...  :poh:

Just to be clear, I'm not a Leatherman hater, on the contrary, it's because I like the brand so much that these quality control issues really bother me.

Sorry for my rant ...  :-[

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:49:36 AM
Good rant and actually more like constructive criticism. I also wish they would get it together in the quality dept.

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 03:15:45 AM
The new Leatherman tools I have purchased lately all needed a little adjustment. The only exception is my new Mut I got last week. Came out of the box flawless and in perfect working condition. I now have the security Torx bits and threadlocker on hand just in case, and learned a lot getting them adjusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 05:35:46 AM
Good post TG24.  It really is getting to be very annoying to hear a new LM Wave owner getting a tool and it needing to be adjusted  :twak:.  LM seriously come on, can it really be this difficult to check the tool before it leaves? 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 04:11:45 PM
Yeah, you would think that since the tools have went up in the last few years in price that they could hire a couple extra QC people :facepalm: :-\ If production and shipping of these tools out has increased so much that they don't have time to check them properly with what people they have, then they definitely have the money to  hire some more inspectors :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%