Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My non SAK pocket knives.

cbl51 · 13 · 2123

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
My non SAK pocket knives.
on: May 06, 2016, 02:51:30 AM
For a few years now, I've been more anymore carrying only a SAK as a pocket knife. They just do what I want and more; they take care of those annoying little problems of life. The loose screw, the small makeshift repair, the on the spot tinkering.

When we moved from Maryland to Texas at the end of October of 2015, I had given away most of my stuff to family, friends, even strangers I knew as forum friends. In my pocket was my old Wenger SI and in my bag were two small Leatherman tools. But on arriving in Georgetown Texas, our new home in our retired golden years, strange events took place and I n=ended up with a very dirty but very good condition Victorinox tinker for 10 dollars in a local junk shop. For the past almost 6 months, it has been a daily companion. It has become my everyday pocket knife.

But…there's that huge three letter word…there is a few knives from my knife nut past that keep sneaking into my pocket. I don't know why, they don't do anything my edc combo of tinker in pocket and classic in keying sheath doesn't do. They just cut. That's it. One trick ponies. No screw drivers, can openers, scissors, tweezers, bottle opener. Just blade.

The camillus/Remington peanut is such a nostalgia trip for me. When I was a kid growing up in the 1950's, every man who had pants on had a pocket knife on him. No if's or but's about it. Men carried a knife. MOst often it was the small two blade serpentine tyro of jackknife. I grew up watching my dad with his little Case peanut going through life and cutting everything that needed to be cut, with his little tow blade jack. Most pocket knives of the day were between 2 3/4 and 3 1/4 inch two blade jacks, some dog legs, some peanuts, some sleeve boards. But in the age of the Cleaver family and Ozzie and Harriet, the small tow blade jack was the most popular knife around. From .99 cent almost disposables to several dollar gems like the Case peanut or Schrade dog leg jack.

One other knife has stayed with me; the strange and weird Christy knife. Dating from 1930's design, it was popular in the 40's and sold in army PX's and Navy exchanged. It was even included in some navy flier survival kits and was actually the first of the one hand opening knife, aside from the switchblades of punkdom. I had one as acid, and saw them here and there. KInd of weird but handy. I still find myself carrying and using one. It's kind of like a civilized box cutter and it has a replaceable blade. It's as habit forming as the peanut.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:00:20 AM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My non SAK pocket knives.
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:06:36 AM
Both nice knives!  I like both.  Christy is definitely interesting.   Remingtons are always cool. I've had one of those always pricey Scouts on my list for a long time, but will probably end up settling for any Remington I can get cheap, excluding the new ones made by Bear and Sons. Remington is one of the few instances where a knife from a gun maker was actually good.

For my family, the main traditional pattern has been a Stockman.   My great uncles, grandfather, my great-grandfather, and myself all had at least one.  I swear, Schrade's old advertising slogan "If it doesn't rust, it doesn't cut" is definitely true. My carbon steel knives are easier to sharpen and stay sharp than my stainless knives. Most of the time, I have a carbon steel stockman or electrician's two-blade knife as my dedicated folder.

Curious, can replacement blades still be found for the Christies?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:37:10 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 06:49:58 PM
Both nice knives!  I like both.  Christy is definitely interesting.   Remingtons are always cool. I've had one of those always pricey Scouts on my list for a long time, but will probably end up settling for any Remington I can get cheap, excluding the new ones made by Bear and Sons. Remington is one of the few instances where a knife from a gun maker was actually good.

For my family, the main traditional pattern has been a Stockman.   My great uncles, grandfather, my great-grandfather, and myself all had at least one.  I swear, Schrade's old advertising slogan "If it doesn't rust, it doesn't cut" is definitely true. My carbon steel knives are easier to sharpen and stay sharp than my stainless knives. Most of the time, I have a carbon steel stockman or electrician's two-blade knife as my dedicated folder.

This was true in my family as well....Old Timers were the only knife to own. My 1st knife was was an Old Timer 8OT Stockman given to me by my Dad back in the 60's.

Added =

I still have a bunch but got tired of spending 75-100 for a nice traditional only to have it arrive with wobbly blades and liner gaps....so now I just buy a GEC every once in a while and enjoy the perfection of SAKs daily.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:17:07 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 01:42:02 PM

Yes, Christy is still in business and spare blades are available.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:04 AM

Thanks.  After looking the company up, I'd rather buy a new one than a beat up used one.  I thought they were a company that had went out years ago.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:17:50 AM

Thanks.  After looking the company up, I'd rather buy a new one than a beat up used one.  I thought they were a company that had went out years ago.

I think they have had a hard time of it, and have downsized a lot. The old building that they were made in is gone, and now Hal Christy makes them in his much smaller shop. They have a unique history and place in the cutlery world. I hope they stay around.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 01:15:54 PM
Like those, too. For the last few days, carrying the Colt Double Lockback. More than enough for my needs, plus it's beautiful and it's a pleasure to use it (or just hold it).

Show content
No, she didn't say it, I did!

8) 8)
Colt Double_Lockback.jpg
* Colt Double_Lockback.jpg (Filesize: 208.05 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 05:59:21 PM
Like those, too. For the last few days, carrying the Colt Double Lockback. More than enough for my needs, plus it's beautiful and it's a pleasure to use it (or just hold it).

Show content

8) 8)

LOL! That is a handsome knife P!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:04:53 PM

Show content

8) 8)

Thanks! I thought you'd like it. Similar to some classical ones you got. Your collection always makes me  :drool:

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 06:52:30 PM
cbl51, your posts are the reason I looked up Christy and ordered a couple of knives. Really cool little things, my wife loves hers. I certainly hope the best for this rather unique manufacturer.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 02:20:02 AM
cbl51, your posts are the reason I looked up Christy and ordered a couple of knives. Really cool little things, my wife loves hers. I certainly hope the best for this rather unique manufacturer.

Thank you!

This company has shrunk to a few members of the family making these and trying to keep them alive. Being a long term fan of these knives, I scan vouch for them being a very handy little cutter for the jobs you would use most small pocket knives for. I do love how you can lock the blade out in a couple of different positions from a box cutter short blade good for slitting open plastic blister packages, to full length for slicing up some nice cheese and baguette. String/twine is no problem.

You'll love your Christy knife. They feel a bit weird at first, but after a while you learn to use it well and it becomes second nature.

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:35 AM
Great post cbl. Traditional slip joints will always have a special place with me having grown up with them. Here's my current favourite Schrade Walden 863 with the half sabre main blade.  :cheers:
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 103.49 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 87.26 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 79.1 KB)
Andrew

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 06:36:57 AM

Show content

8) 8)

Thanks! I thought you'd like it. Similar to some classical ones you got. Your collection always makes me  :drool:

:salute: :tu:

:salute:   Thank you my friend!!   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99