Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Episodes

Chako · 84 · 11278

us Offline Swiss Guy

Re: SOG Episodes
Reply #60 on: August 21, 2016, 11:59:17 PM

Yes, those little magnets do a good job of holding the driver bits. Great feature and should hopefully eliminate a lot of swearing and driver bit searches on the ground.

I am curious how that bit holder works in actual use. It looks to me like you would have to keep pressure on the bit to keep it from slipping, which means having to keep constant pressure on the handles when turning a screw. Is that the case, or do the handles lock in position so that you do not have to squeeze them through the entire turning motion?
The right tool is the one you have on you

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #61 on: August 22, 2016, 12:05:42 AM
sLaughterMed, if nothing else, the photos are useful. :)

Swiss Guy, I have tried it on a screw and this is what I quickly found out.

1. The tool quickly locks onto the bit with no play.
2. A round rare earth magnet is found on each side of the bit holder. This will hold the bit in place even if you open the tool a little.
3. Little to no pressure was required during the act of screwing,  :whistle:
4. The location of the bit in relation to the tool meant little wasted energy was needed to keep the bit on the head of the screw.

For what it is, it works rather well...at least in my limited one time test.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:07:39 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #62 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:45 AM
sLaughterMed, if nothing else, the photos are useful. :)

Swiss Guy, I have tried it on a screw and this is what I quickly found out.

1. The tool quickly locks onto the bit with no play.
2. A round rare earth magnet is found on each side of the bit holder. This will hold the bit in place even if you open the tool a little.
3. Little to no pressure was required during the act of screwing,  :whistle:
4. The location of the bit in relation to the tool meant little wasted energy was needed to keep the bit on the head of the screw.

For what it is, it works rather well...at least in my limited one time test.

Thanks for the response. I am tempted to get one. The only thing that was holding me back was the way the bit was held in. I think that it is an innovative way to hold a bit as long as it works well. It is time to browse the Bay of E to see what is available.
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #63 on: August 22, 2016, 06:19:56 AM
Great pics as usual Chako :cheers: Nice write-up as well :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: August 23, 2016, 03:59:40 AM
 :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: August 24, 2016, 01:46:49 PM
SOG MACV Tool.

I suppose if we were to look at the naming convention based upon a historical context, the tool should have been named MACV SOG, as in Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observation Group. I won't venture further into the history of this group other than to send you to a useful WikiPedia link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Assistance_Command,_Vietnam_%E2%80%93_Studies_and_Observations_Group

I include this history because it imparts heavily upon the naming of this tool, as well as the shape of it.

So what we have here with the SOG MACV Tool is a hunk of metal with various usefull shapes in an iconic image of the MACV SOG emblem of the skull with beret.

This piece of metal does impart it's owner with some useful features:

- nail puller
- phillips driver
- large flat driver
- small flat driver
- pry bar
- bottle opener
- 1/4" hex bit driver
- cord cutter
- carbide sharpener
- 1/4", 3/8", and 5/16" wrench

I like that it includes a small carbide sharpener. You do not normally see that feature included in most multi-tools. The biggest disadvantage I could see in this tool, and after testing mine a little, I did notice some slight flexing...is the compromise SOG took so that their MACV Tool looks like the Special Operations Group's logo. The tools found south of the bottle opener mouth are at the tools weak point. These are held in place by 2 narrow metal bridges of sorts. This is a clear case of design taking over durability. In other word, because SOG wanted their tool to look cool, they compromised on toughness and durability. I will be curious to see if I am correct in this, with reports of folks breaking them at that weak point.

Still looks cool, and mean...and will look great in the drawer with the other SOG gear.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: August 24, 2016, 02:45:58 PM
SOG Reactor.

I am going to be honest here. I am unsure what to make of the SOG Reactor. I get it that this is basically a Leatherman Skeletool competitor in many ways as they have basically almost the same functionality. I however am a bit puzzled about some of the design choices of the Reactor. More on that later.

The SOG Reactor was a lot smaller then I was anticipating, as my copy came to me from eBay. The packaging wasn't as large as that found on the PowerPlay mentioned two episodes up in this thread...but it still was relatively large and bulky.

The Reactor has the usual SOG compound geared pliers, which I always tend to like. No protective gear covers much like the PowerPlay. I take it that SOG is getting away from the protective gear covers, or that the new designs minimizes users from getting their fingers pinched. I tried to get my largish fingers caught in the gears...it can be done, but you would have to be dedicated in doing so. Mayhaps these gear covers are not needed at all on the Reactor.

The Reactor comes with a belt clip.

The Reactor comes with the following features:

- belt clip
- bottle opener
- assisted opening plain edge blade
- 1/4" hex bit driver
- bit storage in one handle
- pliers with usual wire cutter/stripper

Time to talk about what I like about this tool. There are some great design features about the Reactor that I like. The biggest is the hex bit drive adapter which, much like that found on the PowerPlay, is located between the plier joint when the tool is closed. Much like the PowerPlay, there are 2 rare earth magnets that should help in keeping the bits in place. Once closed, the hex bits are securely fastened. It is just a great geometry and helps greatly in keeping the tool somewhat centered around a screw head. I also like the assisted knife blade. Also worth mentioning, the tools is surprisingly comfortable in my big hands. I at first assumed this might not be the case upon first inspection. I was wrong in that assumption.

A little more about that assisted PE (Plain Edge) knife blade. The blade occupies one half of the tool. I noticed...well it is hard not to notice...a small bright orange slider button on the edge of one handle. Slide this little button into the locking position and the blade will not open. Slide the button to the open position, and with some little effort, the blade will spring open once you pass a hump. You have to exert some pressure to pass this point. I father this is a safety built into the mechanism. I guess you could say this is a double safe mechanism. 1. unlock the blade. 2. pass the blade beyond the point of no return to fully deploy the blade. I do not think this blade would open in your pocket even with the button disengaged as some force is required up to a point, and then the spring takes over. Yeah, harder to explain than to use.

A closer look as the 1/4" hex driver. You can see the round rare earth magnets housed in those round pods.

Now, here is something I really found annoying. I tend to not read the instructions that come with multi-tools because a visual inspection usually tells me all I know. However, I was quickly scrambling for the instructions that came with the Reactor simply because I was puzzled with the included bit storage handle. At first, I assumed it was a functioning hex bit driver...but then I also noticed the hex bit driver found on the front of the tool at the plier joint. The instructions informed me to not use the handle as a screw driver...and yet it looks like a functioning screw driver with the bit sticking out like that. I have to wonder how many Reactors will be damaged by folks using the storage handle as a screw driver. Ok, so it is just a bit storage feature. Well, sweet smurf, that bit wasn't going anywhere as I pulled mightily on what little purchase I had. I then noticed the handle has a cut out that just allows you to stick something hard down there to coax the bit out of that handle. It worked. I then replaced the bit back again and tried to remove it a few times. It never got any easier. Do I now have to carry something hard just to take that bit out? This was very poorly executed in my opinion.

Here you can see a 1/4" bit in the right place to use it properly that will not do damage to your multi-tool. but it also illustrates another minor quibble. The Reactor comes with a double ended hex bit. You get a flat head driver, and a Phillips driver. However, this caused issues when installing the bit in the screw driver. I tried a regular single ended hex bit and that worked great. That second driver sticking backwards made the whole affair a bit fiddly for my liking.

RTFM! That statement really helped me in finding a somewhat hidden feature. There is the cutest bottle opener on the Reactor. The bottle opener pivots out and it works great on bottle caps.It does a great job at opening bottlecaps. It can also be a great place to hand your multi-tool on a wall or mantle when not in use.

So what do I think about the Reactor? I really like its size and weight. It offers SOG compound leverage pliers, and power assisted blade, and a neat hex bit screwdriver design that I think is one of the best in the business. With all that said, the bit storage solution is terrible. If I have to use a secondary tool to extricate the bit in the field...then that is no solution in my opinion. I also get why they included a double ended bit, but that wonderful hex bit screwdriver had difficulties with the inside bit  jamming the plier pivot point sometimes preventing the tool to close fully around the bit. I had no such issues with single sided hex bit. I guess you could say my annoyance with the Reactor is focused on that one handle. As with everything, your millage may vary.

Here is a bonus shot showing the size comparison of the newest 2016 SOG multi-tools. From left to right: SOG PowerPlay, SOG Reactor, SOG MACV Tool.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #67 on: August 24, 2016, 02:51:20 PM
Nice write up and thanks for sharing.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: August 24, 2016, 03:19:21 PM
 :tu:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #69 on: August 24, 2016, 04:10:38 PM
Very detailed description of the various Sog tools.  Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

John.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: August 24, 2016, 06:48:28 PM
You are welcome.  :salute:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #71 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:11 PM
Reactor page is ready: http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Reactor Going to start the PowerPlay page.

Thanks Chako for the pictures :salute:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: August 24, 2016, 07:22:50 PM
Reactor page is ready: http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Reactor Going to start the PowerPlay page.

Thanks Chako for the pictures :salute:

Excellent 8)

:like:

Plus thanks for the pics Chako :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: August 24, 2016, 07:23:13 PM
Some more good stuff in here and thanks for the pics and sharing again :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: August 24, 2016, 09:07:29 PM
 :2tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #75 on: August 25, 2016, 01:50:46 AM
[like]   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #76 on: September 07, 2016, 03:45:01 PM
Hey folks, I thought this was the appropiate thread to post this...I have acquired another SOG PP from a previous (know nothing at all about him, other than he's French, origin of tool is unknown) and it is a little odd variation. Could you help me identify? Or give some context/backstory? Thanks in advance  :salute:

It has some engraved words: REX ISHERWOOD (seems like a person's name, like he had it engraved, found nothing on Google or Facebook/social media)

And also, on the other side: STROPHAIRS 2000. No such word exists, only a similar one "STROPHARIA", a genre of fungus... I searched for band names/music albums and groups/companies/artists...no luck (might have been a musical or popular event in the year 2000?

It has different toolset and even though it could have been modded and swapped by previous owner, it seems at first sight that it came from the factory this way.

Differences between the new one and my original PP are:
A new tool that I hadn't seen yet, at least not in the "Pictorial guide to SOG components", which is a more rounded point version of the ultra fine serrated blade, not the average "leatherman/gerber style" SE nor is it the one with a sudden drop at the tip, which is the one pictured in the aforementioned thread. It replaces the saw in my original PP

The blade is a bit longer and thinner than the saw (saw is right pic, blade is left). Might be the "Sheepsfoot serrated blade V2"?

The other side is the same tool-wise, same drivers and blade

The 1/4 driver is not factory configuration, I believe? I had never seen any PP variation with it! Replaces the original Robertson driver

Finally, plier head shares thickness at the base (6.5 mm) but the new one tapers down to a thiner, finer tip.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: September 07, 2016, 04:07:28 PM
Nice close-up pics Peacent :cheers: Thanks for taking the time and sharing them with us :tu: Also a neat tool with different than normal toolset :like:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #78 on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:03 PM
I'm thinking that "fine serrated blade" looks more like a fine double toothed saw. I don't think the 1/4" driver is factory, I don't think the PP was ever offered with it.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #79 on: December 09, 2016, 02:48:38 PM
I'm definitely giving this a bump.  You have some awesome pieces, Dan.  This is the first I've heard of the Reactor's handle not being usable as a long shank screwdriver, which is an oversight, IMO.  The PowerPlay looks nice, though.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: December 10, 2016, 03:13:26 AM
 :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: August 16, 2019, 02:49:49 AM
Just got in a SOG PowerAccess today. Well now I know why I am behind on my SOG tools...seeing that 2016 was the last time I actively hunted any of them down.  :facepalm:

SOG PowerAccess.

My first impressions of the SOG PowerAccess is one of a tight package with a nice weight to it,

The PowerAccess did not come with a sheath, but does include a pocket clip.

This tool comes with 18 functions:
1. compound leverage pliers
2. indented pliers gripper
3. soft wire cutter
4. hard wire cutter
5. crimper
6. can opener
7. Phillips screwdriver
8. bottle opener
9. three-sided file
10. Medium flat screwdriver
11. small flat screwdriver
12. 2.4" plain edge blade.
13. jewelry/eyeglass driver
14. awl
15. large flat screwdriver
16. ruler
17. protractor
18. magnetic hex bit holder

The tool is 5.9" long and weights 5.9 OZ and the handle is constructed using stainless steel. It does feel solid enough in the hand.

From first impressions, I find the tool to be pleasing overall. However, there is one issue that cropped up for me while playing with the tool to familiarize myself with it. I find the fold out tools a bit of a pain to access. The longer tools (knife, and file) are not that problematic. Accessing the other tools is a bit tricky for someone with sausages for fingers. The nail nick is very close to the pivot point, requiring a bit more force to pivot out a tool than I like. With that said, once you overcome physics, everything is silky smooth and exudes quality. I just wish the nail nicks were located on the side of the tools rather than on the spine close to the pivot point.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #82 on: August 16, 2019, 05:39:42 AM
 :like:
Congrats on getting back in the SOG saddle, Chako!

The PowerAccess is a good place to start for sure. The Access Deluxe is a recommended tool as well. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: August 16, 2019, 11:55:42 AM
 :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41