Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So windows 10 will delete stuff from your computer without permission

jzmtl · 16 · 1798

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
I had offline map for China downloaded on my laptop in preparation for a trip, before I leave I thought I'd update the map. Well it turns out Microsoft just deleted all of it, no asking for permission, not even any sort of notification. It's no longer available for download, but geez deleting stuff I already had on my hard drive...

So I guess this is how it will be now, MS is controlling your computer and can do whatever they want.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
It is all part of the plan to bring all research, manufacturing, services back to the US, by removing any mention of China or Chinese products.  I expect any maps of Asia and Europe will be gradually removed too... 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
This leaves me speechless. If you were allowed to download and save tha map when you did, how can they be allowed to remove it from your computer afterwards, even if teh service is discontinued?

ca Offline jzmtl

Yeah that really pissed me off. Luckily I found another on my phone so at least have something to use.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
This is completely unacceptable.   :twak:
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
I had heard a rumour of such a thing, it was supposedly for security reasons (allowing windows to remove malignant programs) but I feel it should at least prompt you beforehand.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Just one of the many reasons I chose not to upgrade any of my machines. :twak: you Microsoft.

us Offline Vinjints

I got my calculator and start button removed.  Or at least where they don't work when you click on them.

ca Offline jzmtl

I had heard a rumour of such a thing, it was supposedly for security reasons (allowing windows to remove malignant programs) but I feel it should at least prompt you beforehand.

Yeah I'm tempted to just block windows from dialing home altogether. But waiting in airport at the moment so no time to mess with it.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
I typically go through the advanced install, it allows you to disable most of that crapola to start

ca Offline jzmtl

The part responsible is probably part of the windows core function though so you'd have no choice. Mights be able to block all of it via firewall but that would break windows update too.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
I could see it backfiring pretty quickly when malware gets a hold of it and starts uninstalling antivirus etc.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Is Linux still around?

:P :P :P :P
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
I got my calculator and start button removed.  Or at least where they don't work when you click on them.

Happened to me to, Classic Shell makes a very good alternative start menu with lots of available options to get things to work as you want (originally to avoid the Win8 Metro screen).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%