Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Reactor and SOG PowerPlay for Police?

Rico-2 · 11 · 4152

00 Offline Rico-2

SOG Reactor and SOG PowerPlay for Police?
on: May 14, 2016, 03:43:46 AM
I am considering, if the new SOG Reactor and SOG PowerPlay, would be appropriate, for permanent carry by police officers.

Their weight and features look promising. But I found this video review, that criticizes both, from time-point 6:00.

'SOG Reactor vs. Skeletool: The One Big Flaw' 
By The Late Boy Scout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSWwc4OjxSM

00 Offline Rico-2

Re: SOG Reactor and SOG PowerPlay for Police?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:39:41 PM
I quote the most valuable responses to this video on YouTube:

Moritz Bönke
I think if they also built the bitstorage-handle solid enough to use it as a secondary driver, it would be perfect. Would fix the issue you had in narrow spaces and one could decide which driver rather to use, whether you need better reach or stronger force :) I wonder if the guys from SOG implement some of your critique, would love to see that. Greetings!

Mike Smith
Good review. You hit the cons that I have observed with mine but I would add that the knife seems pretty flimsy. It has a lot of side to side play. I think they could have skipped the bottle opener too. Just my opinion. Why does every EDC items have to have a bottle opener? Most bottles are twist-off anymore and you can use just about anything to open a bottle.

Petter1
I really like mine, but having to grip it hard to use the bit is true

David Bligh
I was looking forward to your reviews on these new Sog multi tools after your Shot Show videos.  I bought BOTH of these tools - the Powerplay is bad, the pliers are amazing, but eerything else on it feels super cheap, and the ergonomics on it are awkward all over the tool.  The Reactor is super cool, but tiny.  I ran into the exact same issue and Im really glad that you showed in such great detail; the spinning bits.  They were really close on this tool, but missed the mark.  I'm looking forward to your Powerplay video.

jared wheeland
I agree with you with the lock. It's almost like these companies don't test their products anymore good vid

FreeWilly2020
I have had the reactor for a few weeks now. I didn't have a problem with the retaining pin being loose on mine. Also, I completely agree with you about the blade lock. When I carry the reactor in my pocket the lock always seems to be pushed to the unlock position. Other than that I love it. It works great with my EDC. Barely notice it in my back pocket everyday.

Setthehook Fishing
I think a good/cool way to compare the force is using a soft wood like a pencil, or a thick pencil if a regular one is too easy to crush. Just an idea, great video! 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:42:49 PM by Rico-2 »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:14:53 PM
Mike Smith
Good review. You hit the cons that I have observed with mine but I would add that the knife seems pretty flimsy. It has a lot of side to side play. I think they could have skipped the bottle opener too. Just my opinion. Why does every EDC items have to have a bottle opener? Most bottles are twist-off anymore and you can use just about anything to open a bottle.

This is quite a America-centred view though. On the eastern side of the Atlantic the twist-offs are far less common (I don't think I've ever seen one). That said it's sad that SOG seems to be moving away from customisable tools. They should embrace it instead and either include the necessary bits and a miniature bottle of thread-locker (1 ml should be fine for plenty of customisation) or sell that as a small blister. Couple that with tool-blisters and an increased number of tool-alternatives (possibly including plier-heads).

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 01:20:51 AM
I am considering, if the new SOG Reactor and SOG PowerPlay, would be appropriate, for permanent carry by police officers.

Their weight and features look promising. But I found this video review, that criticizes both,

Another critical video on the Reactor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfXbm2hQjus
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:23:03 AM by Rico-2 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 03:08:51 AM
I believe that video is from one of members here at MTO (was it Kampfer?) He is able to inadvertently disengage the liner lock on his example. I have not been able to duplicate his malfunction on mine without expressly trying to unlock the blade. In other words, I would never (well, never say never) be able able to do it during normal knife use.

It is my opinion that the reactions to the new SOGs are in line with the hot/cold feelings that we see with basically ALL new tools. The Reactor has some flaws, but all tools do. I can live with the flaws of the Reactor because I feel the positives outweigh the negatives.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 12:35:24 PM
I do not have either of these tools as of yet. I can only imagine, with the issues of the SOG PowerDuo, that I just may not be all that surprised at the quality of these newer offerings.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 03:31:25 PM
It seems wise, if manufacturers would have their new products tested in a beta-version by external multi-tool experts, before mass-production and releasing them on the market. This reputation dent to SOG could have been prevented that way.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 03:51:54 PM
Reactor vs. Skeletool Battle Of The Multi Tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=140kSvBhWzI

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:01 PM
I  wonder if SOG has improved the quality of the Reactor. It is light-weight, and this design with bit-driver could be valuable for police-officers IMO. 

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:37:26 AM
I hope it's better than the power access, that one is definitely a light use only tool.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 02:32:20 PM
Wasn't the Reactor discontinued?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44