Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?

Rico-2 · 128 · 8913

00 Offline Rico-2

Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?
on: May 14, 2016, 08:15:17 AM
How was someone accidentally wounded by a multi-tool? For example, did the pointed blade fell in his foot? Or did someone accidentally stab himself in the face or eye? Or did you pinch your finger?

Maybe there was an accident caused by a multi-tool with a child, or disabled or elderly person? Etc. So we're not talking violence in this topic, but accidents.

And wich measures do you take, to prevent these accidents? Like using safety gloves. Or learning from prior accidents.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:16:19 AM by Rico-2 »

nl Offline anditsgone

Re: Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:56:20 AM
While cutting rope i slipped out with the knife and cut in my thumb with the skeletool. Also pinched my hand once while using the pliers on the skeletool. Other than that i have had very minor accidents with my mt's.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:57:17 PM
I required two stitches in the end of one of my fingers once after the blade on a PST II folded while I was trying to drill a hole in something.  Admittedly the blade isn't designed for drilling, but I'm sure we have all done something similar.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Australia

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 01:22:09 PM
When I was a teenager I was mucking around with a Gerber MT in the car and I don't know how but stabbed myself on the wrist . Still got the scar .

Nothing but extra careful with sharp tools now

us Offline Edward Scissorhands

• SAKo-masochist
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 01:33:26 PM
It was my first year with my first SAK, the Woodsman. I was helping renovate a warehouse, up on a scaffold working on a fluorescent light fixture. There was a very small, very tight flathead screw, so I pulled out the Woodsman's can opener and went at it with the tip. I must have leaned at a bad angle, because the opener folded back full force across my left thumbnail, cutting through it nearly in half vertically.  :oops:

That was almost thirty years ago, and to this day if I look closely at the nail I can see the faint scar.
EDC: SwissChamp, Swisstool X, Zippo, Mini Maglite, all on my belt. I'm one more sheath away from becoming Batman.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 02:25:44 PM
One time I snapped the blade closed on my Deluxe Tinker tinker while some hand meat was slightly in its path. The blade didn't even pause, it just zipped right through. Those slim Vic blades slice like crazy.

This one isn't related to a MT, but one time whilst opening giant bags of cappuccino mix to fill a commercial machine at my old job, I slipped and the serrated portion of my knife (Kershaw Black Gulch II) took a sizable chunk out of my fingertip. I lost quite a bit of blood, and the scar remains very visible after ~14 years.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:52 PM
Stabbed myself in the thumb with my Rebar's small driver last week. It bled for a surprising 2 days.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:19:53 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 05:31:31 PM
Besides blood blisters from a Mr. Pinchy, SAK's have bitten me more times than I can count.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline gregpost

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 09:23:13 PM
 I got cut on my finger with the very first Victorinox SAK I had, can't remember the model. The large knife snapped onto my finger as I was closing it. Never made that mistake again.

I've also poked myself with awls and pinched myself with pliers but nothing major.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 09:51:22 PM
I used my Wave to carve my son's first pine box derby car (he was too young to do it himself) and I allowed my non-knife hand to get in front of the cutting edge. Inevitably, the blade introduced itself to my finger. Lesson learned? Nope! I have cut myself each year since (save this year - I was out of town for derby time) but I have used a wood carving kit instead of a MT
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:33 PM
When I was a teenager I was mucking around with a Gerber MT in the car and I don't know how but stabbed myself on the wrist . Still got the scar .

You could have killed yourself in a moment, if you had hit an artery in your wrist.

While using a multi-tool, one should wear stab-free safety gloves, that are long enough to cover the wrists IMO.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:36:51 PM

You could have killed yourself in a moment, if you had hit an artery in your wrist.

While using a multi-tool, one should wear stab-free safety gloves, that are long enough to cover the wrists IMO.

:rofl:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 10:49:20 PM

:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:53:54 PM

The thing about multitools is that they are a convenient solution.  They are not an ideal tool but they are more than functional enough to make a trip to the tool box unnecessary.

If you have to start carrying safety equipment like gloves they become less convenient.   Since convenience is the whole point of them, this is a serious problem.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 10:55:18 PM

:D

LOL, this just went next level funny.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 11:34:41 PM

The thing about multitools is that they are a convenient solution.  They are not an ideal tool but they are more than functional enough to make a trip to the tool box unnecessary.

If you have to start carrying safety equipment like gloves they become less convenient.   Since convenience is the whole point of them, this is a serious problem.

Def

You won't carry safety gloves in a business suit. But rubber safety gloves easily fit in a winter-coat-pocket or utility-vest, and they can be carried in a small EDC-bag or get-home-bag. They are quite handy in many situations, like repairs, accidents, first aid, cleaning, unexpected freezing, etc. Many police officers carry safety-gloves all the time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:38:18 PM by Rico-2 »

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 11:40:20 PM
Don't forget to wear sturdy shoes, safety glasses and ear plugs  as well as safety gloves when using a multi-tools and perhaps knee and elbow pads as well.

Helmet is optional though advisable if using multi tool in over head situation   :D

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:49:57 PM
I have my Mechanix gloves in my EDC bag most the time, along with some rubber gloves for emergencies. Though I don't generally feel like I need to suit up in protective gear to use a multi...  :whistle:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 12:10:38 AM
I have my Mechanix gloves in my EDC bag most the time, along with some rubber gloves for emergencies. Though I don't generally feel like I need to suit up in protective gear to use a multi...  :whistle:

This is my feeling entirely.

Yes, safety gear is better than no safety gear, but the vast majority of multitool related injuries can probably be chalked up to user error, or using a tool in a way it is not designed to be used.  If you are already using a tool improperly, you probably aren't the kind of person that is going to  wear proper safety gear when using it.

You are suggesting use in ideal situations, but muktitool excel in being useful in non ideal circumstances.

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 12:21:39 AM
Don't forget to wear sturdy shoes, safety glasses and ear plugs  as well as safety gloves when using a multi-tools and perhaps knee and elbow pads as well.

Helmet is optional though advisable if using multi tool in over head situation   :D

You've missed one vital area.   :pok:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 12:22:11 AM
Can't remember any really bad injuries, but then again I walk around in plate armor. :SAKnight:

Did stab myself in the lag with an exato though

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 12:39:32 AM

Well , I didn't want to go there    ;)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 12:47:29 AM

That's what she said

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 12:47:43 AM
Please be careful in using Vic knives. Same with the knife in the crunch. It caused me deep cuts on my fingers.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 12:50:01 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT Google "Leatherman cod piece."

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 12:56:01 AM

That's what she said

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 12:56:56 AM

Def

:ahhh

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 12:57:20 AM

Def

1+ :facepalm:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 01:17:17 AM
I'm the foot guy Rico was talking about in the OP......

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,66258.msg1268293.html#msg1268293
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:19:35 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 03:08:33 AM
As others have experienced, I sustained a blood blister when the handles of an early Gerber Multiplier pinched my palm.

I cut my finger on the knife blade when trying to open a tool on a Leatherman Blast.   The same Blast had sharp edges on the plastic liner which produced a minor cut.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%