Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?

Rico-2 · 128 · 8870

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?
Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:06 PM
Wow.

That's stupid in a category all its own, isn't it?

Def

I believe that is what Evolution would refer to as 'Natural Selection'...

:salute:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:57:40 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:50 PM
Only if he'd tried manscaping with it....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 04:00:53 PM
I blame stupid people on videos as well.  Every darn sharpness test is done on arm hair.  Lots of stupid people with sketchy knife handling out there.  I cringe overtime I see someone run their fingers across the blade edge to wipe finger prints or in many cases "just because". 

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 04:23:16 PM

Don't handle muti-tools when you shouldn't drive a car either. That is when you are drunk, angry, stressed, very tired, very sad, or under influence of drugs or medication.

Welp, that one takes me out of the running.  I guess I better sell off all my stuff now. 

Good to know! I'm always fine, then!

Show content
Every time I get drunk, I'm never angry, stressed nor very sad. Just have to make sure I always have a bottle with me.

8) 8)

Show content
Of course I'll be sure to use gloves to open it and hold it while drinking. I'm not irresponsible!

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 04:41:31 PM
Only if he'd tried manscaping with it....

Def

>:D

00 Offline Rico-2

First Aid - Arterial Bleeding
Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 04:42:06 PM
Video: Arterial Bleeding - Workplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biwOVrPW7TQ

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 10:42:05 PM
I've been pinched many times by multitools, but the only "wound" I've gotten from them was from my Blacktip's blade.

The (unreliable) locking mechanism opened during carrying and when I grabbed the tool the blade sliced me well. Bled like a pig.

Only thing I don't like about this awesome Multi, the darn locking mechanism. So gimmicky and tricky.
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 10:46:28 PM
I've been pinched many times by multitools, but the only "wound" I've gotten from them was from my Blacktip's blade.

The (unreliable) locking mechanism opened during carrying and when I grabbed the tool the blade sliced me well. Bled like a pig.

(Image removed from quote.)

Only thing I don't like about this awesome Multi, the darn locking mechanism. So gimmicky and tricky.

I used to regret missing that sale... Not so much after seeing all the problems you guys had with the thing.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: May 20, 2016, 12:36:34 AM
I am truly enjoying pictures of injuries, I am starting to get curious though Rico, what's with the significant interest in Multi Tool safety?

I've got bigger scars from mishandling chemicals, sheet metal, and even a clothes iron than I've ever got from knives.

I once sliced my leg on a razor fish, that scar will probably never disappear.

Angle grinders are a particular menace :P (as are all power tools, I suppose)

I don't disagree with any of your points, as such, but are you making these same efforts for safety and education in Horse Riding communities, or Snowboarding?
Now there's some dangerous activities people should be fore-warned about before they partake (I've seen James Bond movies, I'm pretty sure the italian police snowboard)

It's an unusual dedication in a very niche area. Commendable in it's way, but, if you don't mind me saying so, peculiar as well.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: May 20, 2016, 01:49:42 AM
When started my second career working maintenance and installing equipment at construction sites about 6 years ago, my first project had rules for working on property; safety glasses, hard hats, steel toe 6" boots (min) and appropriate gloves for the tasks. 

Two years plus during that project, I NEVER suffered a hand injury on that site. No cuts, no slices, no punctures, nothing. 
But, at home, doing a simple repair, managed to slice a finger tip, punctured a palm, and cut other digits.  At home I now wear gloves for most chores, no all, but many. 
Plan the job, use the right tools and equipment to avoid the preventable, yet MTs are designed for the unexpected and can see why they can bite, cut, slice unexpectedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:50:45 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: May 20, 2016, 11:26:52 AM
I am truly enjoying pictures of injuries, I am starting to get curious though Rico, what's with the significant interest in Multi Tool safety?

I've got bigger scars from mishandling chemicals, sheet metal, and even a clothes iron than I've ever got from knives.

I don't disagree with any of your points, as such, but are you making these same efforts for safety and education in Horse Riding communities, or Snowboarding?
Now there's some dangerous activities people should be fore-warned about before they partake (I've seen James Bond movies, I'm pretty sure the italian police snowboard)

It's an unusual dedication in a very niche area. Commendable in it's way, but, if you don't mind me saying so, peculiar as well.

I agree with you in general but I think there's a big difference between risks that you take in your free time and those in your profession. Maybe it's even especially important to reduce these "minor" risks in already risky professions like law enforcement/army/fire fighting.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 06:09:26 PM

I agree with you in general but I think there's a big difference between risks that you take in your free time and those in your profession. Maybe it's even especially important to reduce these "minor" risks in already risky professions like law enforcement/army/fire fighting.

General But!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 10:07:01 PM
My answer will probably sound as peculiar. Safety awareness has developed increasingly in the last century. And that development will continue even faster, I guess. Since accidents and illness cost much more in money, time and suffering, than its prevention.

The bottle-neck in this development to a safer life-style and working-conditions, is peoples mind-set. Safety-experts wonder how to change that. That is the billion dollar question.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 10:56:31 PM
a safer life-style and working-conditions

Making an assumption that people have some kind of right to a long, injury, illness and inconveniance free life?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some level of protection for workers, there's no need to take insane risks just to put bread on the table - however there are plenty of people to spare, so to speak, and in the words of Forrest Gump "[...]It Happens"

Having said that, you Linked to a USA website, I am not deeply familiar with USA policy and working conditions (I would hazard a guess that as a leading nation, they're probably not too bad), so I can't realistically state whether I believe you are seeking legitimate improvement in undereducated and underrepresented sectors, or promoting a ridiculous nanny-state where people might as well live in padded tubes and interact with the world via sterile robots, collecting discarded crisp packets from a safe distance.

FWIW - In Australia, whilst I have protections against my employer giving me unreasonable tasks, or dismissing me on account of my refusing to do unreasonable tasks - the onus is on me to conduct any task I agree to perform as part of my employment in a safe and sensible fashion - If I do not have the resources, equipment or training to conduct it in a manner I feel is safe, then I am permitted of course to request those things, but If I do not ask, and I conduct the task anyway, and I sustain an injury, the courts will likely prove that it is my own damn fault, as an adult, for doing something I shouldn't have done in the first place.

Now you focus on Police and First Responders, which is well and good, as they have complex and varied tasks they may perform as part of their duties - none the less, they are competent adults (as far as that goes), and if they don't have the skills to conduct their job safely, it behooves them to seek them via whatever means are available to them.

It follows then, that it could be you yourself are a person in this position, and have not received training you feel is adequate for your role?

If that is the case, I applaud your efforts, and clearly you know how to use youtube, and in a round-about way, ask for assistance, so well done.

Whether you can apply what you have learnt on a global scale to all people in complex roles is questionable, and you might be better off scaling back your ambition to your department or specific realm of influence.

(I'm making a whole bunch of assumptions as I go, feel free to correct, redirect, or otherwise improve my understanding of the circumstances if you so desire)

Safety-experts wonder how to change that. That is the billion dollar question.

As a total aside, I am a safety expert. I have various pieces of paper to prove it (some of them are framed!)
As you say, it's the billion dollar question.

We know how to make things safe, the question is how to get people to pay us to do it - It has to cost less to be safe than it costs to replace people. (Actually, it has to cost less to be safe than it costs for the downtime while you deal with replacing people.
People themselves are for the most part pretty expendable, and you don't put your key players in the dangerous positions)

You are right though, education is generally the key point, but it's more education of "you can't afford to feed your family with a broken back" or "it really doesn't take that long to bleed out from your femoral artery" or "you are squishy", rather than "here's how to use a can opener so you don't cut yourself"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:12:58 PM by Sea Monster »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 11:23:28 PM
I am a safety expert. I have various pieces of paper to prove it (some of them are framed!)
As you say, it's the billion dollar question.

We know how to make things safe, the question is how to get people to pay us to do it - It has to cost less to be safe than it costs to replace people. (Actually, it has to cost less to be safe than it costs for the downtime while you deal with replacing people.
People themselves are for the most part pretty expendable, and you don't put your key players in the dangerous positions)

You are right though, education is generally the key point, but it's more education of "you can't afford to feed your family with a broken back" or "it really doesn't take that long to bleed out from your femoral artery" or "you are squishy", rather than "here's how to use a can opener so you don't cut yourself"

Safety can be improved by internet forums, safety videos in schools for children, edutainment in mass-media, and strict safety laws with heavy penalties for companies IMO. And if I can save one life on this forum, it's worth the effort.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:41:32 PM by Rico-2 »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 11:59:39 PM
My standard reply to "OSHA would not approve" was that we were a good 70 miles from the Altantic up in the Ramapo Mountains, and that I could care less about the ocean..... ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #76 on: May 21, 2016, 03:44:18 AM
And if I can save one life on this forum, it's worth the effort.

Wow, that is the silliest thing said so far.

Please, tell us how we are being unsafe and risking our lives? In detail. We've seen vague generalities and boo-hooing about cuts and scrapes. Anyone who works with their hands, and actually DOES something rather than sitting in an office all day will tell you there is always a risk and while you can reduce it, you can not eliminate it. You're talking about giving safety lessons on using a Leatherman, to cops. Do you really think anyone who can be trusted with a gun needs to be told how to use a screwdriver and a pair of pliers safely? Or firefighters- you think a Swiss Army Knife is more dangerous than going into a building that is on fire? If so, you and my brother need to talk- he's only been a firefighter/emt for 20 years, I'm sure you could tell him all about how dangerous a knife is.

So please. Tell us specifically what  you think we don't know so we don't hurt ourselves. Tell us exactly what your scheme is to make us all safer. Tell me what you are going to do so you can safe a life on this forum.

Because this I've got to hear. In particular I want to see if you can do it without insulting our intelligence.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #77 on: May 21, 2016, 04:46:21 AM
Safety is one of those weird things. 

Like my mom worked for an oil company, doing math in an office to figure out how much oil you can put in a tank, (which was US DOT mandated before a tank was over or under filled). And every once in a great while she actually went to a tank farm.  But at any rate the employees had two cards issued to them, a id and a picture of family that said on it "my reason for being safe" (or something like that).  So that is an interesting point Sea Mosterhad about enticing people to be safer.

But more odd reflections.

In Pigon Forge I was asked if I wanted to pay to forge a knife, and I said no in part because I only had shorts with me.  And yet I saw a few tourists who thought nothing of hammering hot metal in shorts.

Yet I see nothing wrong in kayaking alone.  Something that is at the top of every list of kayaking don'ts.  Even if I had someone to go out with I would still go alone, and I have never thought much of the outside safety precautions I have put in place, (basically telling someone where they can find the body).

So, therefore on the one hand I am supper cautious when it comes to hot metal, but really ok with drowning.  And I doubt you could give me enough training to break either.

I know this has been long and rambling, but I think what I am trying to say is people are weird.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #78 on: May 21, 2016, 04:52:34 AM
I'll answer this seriously. I think the best "training" is the personal kind that comes from common sense, reinforced by experience.

I don't actually remember cutting myself much on a SAK or MT before, but I've had two run-ins with knives. One was a Mora Classic I was trying to remove from its plastic sheath. It was wedged in there good, and as I finally wrenched it out, my muscles' counter-balance (trying to keep from flinging the blade across the room) stabbed it into my leg. The second time was a Spyderco Manix 2 which I was cutting towards my finger while opening a box; it got through the tape easier than I thought it would and sliced my finger open pretty good. I'm fortunate to say these are the most serious injuries I've gotten from tools. It took some time to stop the bleeding, but neither was worthy of an ER visit.

So I would say my experience reinforced common sense rules like "don't force sharp things if they're stuck" and "don't cut towards your finger." Both times, I said to myself "maybe I shouldn't be doing this" but I did it anyway. With these injuries behind me, I'm more careful in these sorts of situations in the future, and I think back on them. Case in point: I once dropped a Surge with the blade open. In that instant, my reflex was to grab it and stop it falling. But I remembered back to a time I caught a falling cup of coffee and burned myself. Even in that split second, I knew it would've been smarter to let the cup fall, so I let the Surge go.

I don't think multi-tools are so serious. Other hand tools don't need training. People use consumer-grade power tools without training. Lots of people use kitchen knives without training. The same sorts of rules apply there as well. Experience lets you feel how the tool is reacting to what you're doing with it. When it starts to feel like the tool isn't up to the task, get something else.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #79 on: May 21, 2016, 05:47:13 AM
And if I can save one life on this forum, it's worth the effort.

Wow, that is the silliest thing said so far.

Please, tell us how we are being unsafe and risking our lives? In detail. We've seen vague generalities and boo-hooing about cuts and scrapes. Anyone who works with their hands, and actually DOES something rather than sitting in an office all day will tell you there is always a risk and while you can reduce it, you can not eliminate it. You're talking about giving safety lessons on using a Leatherman, to cops. Do you really think anyone who can be trusted with a gun needs to be told how to use a screwdriver and a pair of pliers safely? Or firefighters- you think a Swiss Army Knife is more dangerous than going into a building that is on fire? If so, you and my brother need to talk- he's only been a firefighter/emt for 20 years, I'm sure you could tell him all about how dangerous a knife is.

So please. Tell us specifically what  you think we don't know so we don't hurt ourselves. Tell us exactly what your scheme is to make us all safer. Tell me what you are going to do so you can safe a life on this forum.

Because this I've got to hear. In particular I want to see if you can do it without insulting our intelligence.

A big +1 to this. I've been injured FAR worse playing hockey than I've ever been by a knife or tool. And forget cut-resistant gloves, the amount of protective gear I was wearing at those times cost well north of $1,000.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: May 21, 2016, 11:09:25 AM
people use consumer-grade power tools without training. Lots of people use kitchen knives without training. The same sorts of rules apply there as well.

I'll swing around to devil's advocate here (as always, what I say is relevant to Australia, and is "for interest" only anywhere else)

I can go buy a welder, lathe, or in certain parts of the country, explosives and use them however I see fit in my own backyard, however, if I want to so much as plug in a Stereo system on a work site, I have to be carrying an in-date WHS Card (Site Safety card, White Card, Green Card, depending on which state and decade you grew up in) - without this, no self respecting foreman or (we call them PCBUs,) will let you work on the site.

I have not done a great deal of work in Hospitality, but I would assume part of a cook's basic training includes knife handling (and meat slicer, dough mixer, oven etc etc) and they are more or less assessed as "safe" prior to receiving their trade qualifications.

I know that is the case for manufacturing trades.

And after all that - when you begin work, whether on a new site, or in an every day workshop, kitchen, plant, etc - the PCBU (uhh, employer) is required to provide a Safety Induction, showing you where all the slippery tiles, low hanging shelves, and other life threatening hazards are.

This may seem insufficient to some, and incredibly overdone to others, but them's the rules in these here parts.

To provide a little tempering to all this - it would be reasonable to assume if someone can use a 6" chef knife, they can use an 8" one.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #81 on: May 21, 2016, 04:32:53 PM
http://www.ilo.org/global/lang--en/index.htm

For those wanting an international reference
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: May 21, 2016, 05:17:25 PM
After all the safety training and experience in whats potentially unsafe its still only safe till its not. 

I work on ladders and at heights, I work on constructions sites, commercial sites, and with sharp things,  I've worked in many places where the potential for terrible things could happen either never did or only slightly.   I am by most accounts a safe working person.  Accidents happen. 

It would seem over time in any given field accidents happen less or not at all. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline LocNar

Reply #83 on: May 22, 2016, 08:30:41 AM

I gotta go with ironraven on this one, it's just weird.... 

I see what your trying to do.  All these videos about basic first aid are all fine and dandy, but don't start posting videos about surgical cricothyrotomy's, and needle thoracostomy's.  It's NOT ok to cut a hole in someone's neck cause you saw a 2-minute video on YouTube about it.  Keep it BLS level.  Plug the hole.  And keep in mind even at a BLS level, if you lay hands on someone you can still be held legally accountable for patient outcome.  Don't butcher someone and ruin their chances cause your trying to be hero, thus making everyone else's job harder.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:34:23 AM by LocNar »

Offline LocNar

Reply #84 on: May 22, 2016, 08:47:29 AM

I gotta go with ironraven on this one, it's just weird.... 

I see what your trying to do.  All these videos about basic first aid are all fine and dandy, but don't start posting videos about surgical cricothyrotomy's, and needle thoracostomy's.  It's NOT ok to cut a hole in someone's neck cause you saw a 2-minute video on YouTube about it.  Keep it BLS level.  Plug the hole.  And keep in mind even at a BLS level, if you lay hands on someone you can still be held legally accountable for patient outcome.  Don't butcher someone and ruin their chances cause your trying to be a hero, thus making everyone else's job harder. 

Your ego is not worth more than someone's life.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:01:54 AM by LocNar »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #85 on: May 24, 2016, 04:57:56 PM

I've been doing it wrong.   :facepalm:   :facepalm:

Yes, definitely, you should be using one of the blades not the pliers to flip the eggs so you don't break them. Runny yolks are *much* nicer.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #86 on: May 24, 2016, 06:33:57 PM
This was not me, but my knife, a CQC-6K.
The fool picked up the folder, flicked it open and asked if it was arm hair shaving sharp as we ran it up and across his arm
Went about a 1/4" deep and about the length of a one dollar bill folded in half.
They skin grafted the piece back on with about 40 stitches to attached.
Stupid is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait to see how that person would look if they tried to shave with a straight razor....  :whistle:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #87 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:30 AM
Most MT harm... you know what it was and how you did it. Yet there is one memory that continues to trouble me...

The tool was a new Leatherman Surge, black, and it was typically tight when extending and closing the pliers. On closing, I hit it with my hand to get it to close - and somehow cut my hand. Blood flowed freely.

To this day, I have no idea what part of the tool caused it or how I did it...

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: May 31, 2016, 04:51:04 AM
The blade in my Vic OH Soldier  got my thumb when closing it tonight after opening something.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #89 on: May 31, 2016, 02:20:45 PM
I closed my PST's blade on my thumb the other day.  Not really the MT's fault tho...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%