Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?

Rico-2 · 128 · 8910

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Who Was Wounded By Multi-Tool?
Reply #90 on: June 01, 2016, 06:44:36 AM
I closed my PST's blade on my thumb the other day.  Not really the MT's fault tho...

Only proving that, had you been provided correct training, the injury could have been prevented.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #91 on: June 01, 2016, 07:20:48 AM
 :D :D :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: June 01, 2016, 08:50:53 AM
I feel for the sake of accuracy, I should report that I sustained an injury (pinch, resulting in blood blister) on the interior flesh of my right hand thumb knuckle, when my 0312 Leatherman Wave slipped off the work piece (I may have been disregarding some rules of physics) and my skin got stuck between the (closed) PE Blade and wood saw.

(I happen to be at my desk when this event occurred, so coming on here to report it was not out of my way :P )

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #93 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:25 AM
I feel for the sake of accuracy, I should report that I sustained an injury (pinch, resulting in blood blister) on the interior flesh of my right hand thumb knuckle, when my 0312 Leatherman Wave slipped off the work piece (I may have been disregarding some rules of physics) and my skin got stuck between the (closed) PE Blade and wood saw.

(I happen to be at my desk when this event occurred, so coming on here to report it was not out of my way :P )

Had the right training been utilized, the injury might have been avoided.   :D

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #94 on: June 02, 2016, 08:19:28 AM
If cut-resistant gloves are needed or not, depends on the situation:
activity
wich tool is used and how sharp is it?
what is the quality and condition of the tool?
is the tool inspected?
muscle-strength needed
time period
time pressure
alertness and physical fatigue
muscle strength
lighting situation
body position
is the object well in reach?
chair and table?
relevant skills, knowledge and experience
sweat, rain, grease, dirt, cold, heat, smoke, fumes etc. that can impair performance.
how long does it take before medical help can arrive, in case of an emergency?
is their someone present to give first aid and to call an ambulance? 
etc.

A plane blade often needs more maximum muscle power for the same cutting task, than a serrated blade, that allows a gradually sawing motion.

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: June 02, 2016, 09:37:23 AM
True enough, these are all relevant factors.

I guess I've got two immediate thoughts.

Keep it in perspective: Multitools are minor in the grand scheme of things, compared to vehicle operation, operating any mechanical, electrical, or hydraulic equipment.

Heck, even wearing the wrong shoes probably poses more acute and chronic risks.

The other thing is - unnecessary control measures.

I'm no geneticist, but most organisms want to stay alive, and humans (along with cuttlefish) have a remarkable ability to learn, adapt, and eventually predict outcomes before they happen (some cuttlefish even learn to type  :whistle:)

Anyway, If you're not auto-correcting for light, heat, time, fatigue, and the basic laws of physics, you might have bigger problems to worry about.

Yes training can help. There's always a Grand Masters Hidden Technique, and people do end up losing whole limbs from unfortunate slips (often caused by factors you have mentioned), none the less, if I were conducting an assessment, I would not rate the risk as High. (I could if I wanted to, it's not uncommon for people who look at these things to see almost certain death in a cup of coffee

FWIW - In my injury two posts up, I was fully aware of the risks, I am trained up the wazoo, and I had better, safer, more suitable tools less than 10m away - I didn't care, I did what I did, and I sustained a minor injury.

They say you can lead a horse to water....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:42:30 AM by Sea Monster »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #96 on: June 02, 2016, 10:00:06 AM
Safety-experts in general regard the frequency of near-accidents and minor accidents as an indication for the chance of a serious accident.

Risk is probability multiplied by outcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk#Health.2C_safety.2C_and_environment

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #97 on: June 02, 2016, 10:35:30 AM
Yep. Moral of the story. DON'T try and drill or plunge cut with a SAK or any slip joint. Pioneer Electrician in this case.

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: June 02, 2016, 11:24:32 AM
Safety-experts regard the frequency of near-accidents and minor accidents as an indication for the chance of a serious accident.

The workforce in general has poor reporting of minor accidents, and even worse of near-accidents. Unless they are on-the-ground so to speak, said Safety Experts can't factor those events into their calculations  :)

There's a few reasons for this, but in this case one of them might be "There are probably few local standards regarding Multitools, and every function a multitool has can be done better and safer by something else. If you raise awareness of Multitool Risk, you raise the likelihood of Multitool Avoidance"  (Avoidance means "Banning" )

It would take (and hell, it may have already happened, I'm not inclined at this point to look into it) loss of life or limb, confirmed by third party investigation (state, federal, or more likely, insurance agencies) to be caused by a Multitool, on several occasions, before anyone put any great effort into mitigating the risk.

PTR - Nice :)
I've got one just like it on my pinky from a SAK.

Cheeky buggers arn't they.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:33:46 AM by Sea Monster »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 11:42:39 AM
The workforce in general has poor reporting of minor accidents, and even worse of near-accidents. Unless they are on-the-ground so to speak, said Safety Experts can't factor those events into their calculations  :)

But technical personel is more and more trained to be aware of this important risk indicator, for self-monitoring.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: June 02, 2016, 11:43:19 AM
Yep. Moral of the story. DON'T try and drill or plunge cut with a SAK or any slip joint. Pioneer Electrician in this case.

(Image removed from quote.)

Been there, done that. Can't seem to find the scar anymore.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #101 on: June 02, 2016, 01:28:55 PM
Dropped a hatchet on my foot over the weekend.  And you know what I took from that?  Make sure you get the hatchet stuck in the stump while not in use.  Because people can learn from their mistakes and oversights.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #102 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:29 PM
Butcher's Knife Accident

NSFW

Show content
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:03:17 AM by Grant Lamontagne »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #103 on: June 04, 2016, 01:04:09 AM
Sorry to edit your post, but the video was a bit graphic for our family friendly forum.  :D

It's still there but at least no little ones will have nightmares!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #104 on: June 04, 2016, 02:16:47 AM
That show is interesting, but the narration is very poorly written and the production is too hyperactive and annoys me somewhat.

NSFW-

Show content

Be careful with those corkscrews, guys  :climber:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #105 on: June 07, 2016, 10:36:52 PM
I sustained a little injury today due to what I consider a design flaw that I hadn't noticed until today.

My ST300 cut my palm when I was cutting wire. I looked at it after cleaning the blood, and I've seen

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #106 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:14 PM
Mine is very funny. Had few drinks at a knife show and bought a Joseph rogers knife years ago and asked the salesman to sharpen it with his special gizmo. He said its sharp enough and me been me said its blunt. After he won the argument I tried closing the knife with one hand in front of him and guess what??? 6stitches later!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #107 on: June 08, 2016, 12:55:02 AM
The only real bad multi tool injury that I had was from the original gerber, as it pinched the palm when it slipped! Ouch!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #108 on: June 08, 2016, 01:54:05 AM
When I got my first Original Supertool I was trying to butterfly open and close it like I would with my PST. The pliers were  a bit stiff and the tools a bit loose so when I tried to butterfly them closed the Serrated knife opened up enough for the tip to embed itself right into my knuckle bone.   :facepalm:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #109 on: June 08, 2016, 12:50:19 PM
When I got my first Original Supertool I was trying to butterfly open and close it like I would with my PST. The pliers were  a bit stiff and the tools a bit loose so when I tried to butterfly them closed the Serrated knife opened up enough for the tip to embed itself right into my knuckle bone.   :facepalm:

Ouch!  Been there done that myself. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #110 on: June 08, 2016, 11:03:25 PM
I sustained a little injury today due to what I consider a design flaw that I hadn't noticed until today.

My ST300 cut my palm when I was cutting wire. I looked at it after cleaning the blood, and I've seen

Ouch.

I've never seen that one before, but I'm sure going to keep an eye out for that in the future!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #111 on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:29 PM
Darn again!

My Spirit bit me with its ridiculous, pointless, butter blade.

Hurt like hell, actually, even though it was a sharp, clean cut.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #112 on: July 22, 2016, 10:52:05 PM
Today while working the awl on my Pioneer X closed on my pinky giving me and awlful lot of pain. 

Then some kids asked me about why I had a band aid on and so I gave them a little knife safety talk.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

england Offline Kev D

Reply #113 on: July 22, 2016, 11:43:11 PM
My Juice xe6 bit me tonight while opening the flat drivers to pose it for a pic for the gaw

:facepalm:
20160722_172949-768x1365.jpg
* 20160722_172949-768x1365.jpg (Filesize: 95.9 KB)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #114 on: July 23, 2016, 12:51:57 AM
My Juice xe6 bit me tonight while opening the flat drivers to pose it for a pic for the gaw

:facepalm:

seriously Kevin ?
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

england Offline Kev D

Reply #115 on: July 23, 2016, 01:08:41 AM
Yep. It's not the first time, and probably won't be the last with those.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #116 on: July 23, 2016, 01:11:03 AM
yeah my KSJ (kirky sullied juice) cuts me all the time
 :kirky:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline DwrightKM

Reply #117 on: July 28, 2016, 12:27:50 AM
My pinky got bit a few times by the force of the closing Vic spring.  Think I would learn and use 2 hands to close knife.  Still only use 1...

us Offline Pacu

Reply #118 on: July 29, 2016, 02:49:53 AM
My Charge Ti kept biting me when I first got it. I guess i got used to the years of use on my old waves blade and the new Charge had a much sharper edge.

Worst injury yet was the blood blister from hell. Up on a lift in the middle of the night, need a 7/16ths socket and ratchet but it's on the ground level. Ahh, no need , I have my trusty Wave to take that bolt off. Full force bearing on the socket , the Wave slams shut with about 2 kilos of Pacu hand meat caught in the middle. I had to take a pin and relieve the pressure on the blood blister a couple hours later. It was full on whole palm wide.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #119 on: July 29, 2016, 11:59:20 PM
Me and serrated blades don't get on. Bitten quite deep by an MP600 and a Wave.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%