Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Signal--Worth Buying?

fi Offline Padre

Re: Signal--Worth Buying?
Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 03:26:19 PM
To each his own ofcoarse.
What does it retail for in the USA?
Over here in Europe it's retailed at about $180...
Which is a little to much to my liking...

True, in Finland $196 straight from importer (never would pay this amount)...
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 04:24:40 PM
Retails for $100.  For those that like the Skeletool I think the Signal would make a good option.  When looked at as a survival tool or a tool that would somehow replace outdoor tools I can see the scrutiny.  It would make a good out door companion tool to whatever you bring with you.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 04:48:48 PM
Retails for $100.  For those that like the Skeletool I think the Signal would make a good option.  When looked at as a survival tool or a tool that would somehow replace outdoor tools I can see the scrutiny.  It would make a good out door companion tool to whatever you bring with you.

That's like half the price from what they're asking over here...
Suddenly I realise again why I usualy grab for Vics...

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 05:09:22 PM

That's like half the price from what they're asking over here...
Suddenly I realise again why I usualy grab for Vics...
Yes. The Signal is a good tool but too expensive. If it is at the price of a rebar or even the super tool level, I will be happy to keep one with me for light outdoor activities but it is waaaaayyy too expensive here.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Signal--Worth Buying?
Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 05:58:33 PM
The main reason I have not bought one is because reviews of the removable tools are mostly bad and you get a better toolset for the outdoors with most other larger leatherman tools imho. I currently use my wave for outdoor/camping tasks and carry a separate firesteel and sharpener. On monday the Wave will be replaced by the Workchamp I ordered! :D, for camping/in the woods at least) On the wave, I like having dedicated straight and serrated blades and the can opener makes a decent awl (until I get around to modding it) there just isnt enough advantage for outdoor use there for me. Actually, since I carry a designated firesteel and sharpener, the lack of other tools is not worth it at all and actually a disadvantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saving on weight and space isn't always a disadvantage.
There is only 1oz of difference in weight. To me that is worth even it if only for the seperate pe and se blades and the file. I do see how it would be different for some people though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:02:50 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: October 02, 2016, 06:17:44 PM
if you have another plier-based leatherman such as wave, do not waste your money. no significant difference, no miracles.

Carabiner, full size bit driver, fixed pocket clip, awl, replaceable wire cutters - just to name a few things the Wave doesn't have.
For the purposes in which I would use a signal (camping/hunting/roughing it in the woods), the removable pocket clip on the wave does the job in place of fixed pocket clip and karabiner. I have the bit kit so if for some reason I needed a different bit I would have it, but unless Im adjusting my gear in the woods, I most likely wont. So that does a fine job in place of the full size holder for woods use. I wont be cutting much wire at all in the woods unless I run up on a barbwire fence or something of that sort, but I am fine with the cutters on the wave. The can opener on the wave works as an awl for me until I take the time to remove the eyeglass screwdriver and put in an awl. As far as hammer goes I would only use it for things that I could also use a rock for. I have aldo heard something about it getting in the way of other tools, and like I said the diamond file/sharpener and ferro rod have gotten bad reviews so until there is an upgrade I will stick with the designated ones. The pliers are better on the signal, but J think the ones on the wave do more than fine for camp tasks. I am about to switch to a vic for my woods mt (keeping wave for "urban camping") so that shows how little I use a full size set of pliers in the woods. The ones on the vic will do just fine for what I would use them on in the woods.

To each his own and I really wish I could justify a purchase of a signal because honestly I love the looks and idea of it, but until they come out with a signal 2.0 or I break down and buy it unreasonably, I personally will not have any use or justification for it.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 07:42:13 PM
See that and laugh, or cry.

http://www.survival.gr/polyergalio-leatherman-signal-02909-p-4233

Remember, we are among the poorest countries in Europe, most affected by financial crisis, with 25% unemployment and under harsh austerity measures.

Charge TTi costs 300€ for comparison.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #37 on: October 02, 2016, 09:38:10 PM
"Worth buying" is such a personal concept. I am lucky, in as much as my pocket tool needs are all well met with abundant surplus. As such, there may be a want for any given tool, but not a need.

The design doesn't appeal to me that much, and I've had a love/hate affair with the brand, but the tool is far from worthless. It's just a matter of whether the worth to you is more than the sales price. If you had a choice of the tool, or the price in hard cash, which would you choose?

Personally, I'd take the cash rather than the tool. Even factoring out my personal bias, current financial status and lifestyle restrictions, I would value the worth of this tool around maybe £40 - roughly 1/3 of the sales price. Of course that sense of worth will vary from person to person, and a select few will be prepared to hand over the readies.

Although I'll openly admit I haven't handled one, I do find it hard to imagine that many people will genuinely feel they've got good value for their money on this tool at retail price.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 05:51:37 PM
I was pretty skeptical when LM announced the Signal.  I am still not entirely thrilled about the marketing of this tool.  I do however feel its a good tool.  Separate out what LM says this tool is and you get a pretty versatile tool.

I also think it looks pretty neat as well.  1/4 driver in the hammer head is not bad at all.   

IMG_1579 copy.jpg
* IMG_1579 copy.jpg (Filesize: 137.88 KB)
IMG_1580 copy.jpg
* IMG_1580 copy.jpg (Filesize: 177.47 KB)
IMG_1581 (1) copy.jpg
* IMG_1581 (1) copy.jpg (Filesize: 172.75 KB)
IMG_1582 copy.jpg
* IMG_1582 copy.jpg (Filesize: 169.01 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: October 03, 2016, 05:54:08 PM
Replaceable wire cutters.  With all the talk about wanting them on the Wave its good this tool has them.  Can opener, eh, I guess they all have to come with a can opener.  I like the awl but you will have to use it with the tool open otherwise the hammer gets in the way.  I like the tool can be locked closed. 
IMG_1583 copy.jpg
* IMG_1583 copy.jpg (Filesize: 136.66 KB)
IMG_1584 copy.jpg
* IMG_1584 copy.jpg (Filesize: 147.72 KB)
IMG_1585 copy.jpg
* IMG_1585 copy.jpg (Filesize: 181.46 KB)
IMG_1586 copy.jpg
* IMG_1586 copy.jpg (Filesize: 118.05 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: October 03, 2016, 05:56:04 PM
Wood saw is, its a LM wood saw, not much to say.  Bit driver is always good IMO.  Combo blade makes sense for what they market this tool as.  I have no real problem with it but I understand many abhor combo edge blades.   
IMG_1587 copy.jpg
* IMG_1587 copy.jpg (Filesize: 150.48 KB)
IMG_1588 copy.jpg
* IMG_1588 copy.jpg (Filesize: 134.06 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:26 PM
I was pretty skeptical when LM announced the Signal.  I am still not entirely thrilled about the marketing of this tool.  I do however feel its a good tool.  Separate out what LM says this tool is and you get a pretty versatile tool.

I also think it looks pretty neat as well.  1/4 driver in the hammer head is not bad at all.   

Don't get me wrong, I never said this ain't a good, versatile tool.
I love the look of it and if it's as decent as my Charge AL, you can't go wrong... IF you get it for the right price.

Over here online:
Signal: €162
Charge TTI: €160

Easy choice for me if I was shopping for one...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: October 03, 2016, 06:13:39 PM
Oh I'd pass on the Signal over the TTi every day of the year at those prices.  WOW thats not even a close call.  The Signal should be sold for closer to the Rebar as many have said.  Nice looking but not sure why such a premium?   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: October 03, 2016, 10:33:40 PM
For what it's worth...

https://gearjunkie.com/leatherman-signal-designer-zach-heise-interview

:rofl: :rofl:

Can you give a few examples of bad multi-tool design elements that you’ve seen before?

I think the most common poor design element out there is making a tool that has a lot of great function but is uncomfortable in your hand.

A common problem that I've found with Leatherman tools, including the Skele (one of the reasons I don't like the Signal design) and Rebar. I actually remember someone's post showing the carabiner on the Signal "biting" their hand :facepalm: In fact I did an entire thread on pliers ergonomics which showed Leatherman not doing too well in this aspect.

I have no issue with the rest of the article, it was quite an interesting read, but that section made me laugh out loud.  :D

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 12:32:02 AM
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:36:33 AM by Obi1shinobee »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: October 04, 2016, 01:27:51 AM
I've only had a brief play with one in a shop but I was surprised by how much I liked it.  I'm still not convinced by the plastic add ons and there is other stuff that I'd change (such as dropping the combo edge) but I'd not call someone crazy for wanting to carry it in the great outdoors.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: October 04, 2016, 01:46:50 AM
Personally I think the combo edge is one of the things they got right. Cutting rope and other fibrous materials, plus tasks like clearing a fouled propeller, or something wrapped round an axle, can be made a lot easier and quicker with serrations. They are also a benefit for people who are inept at field sharpening a blade.

Most people going "woods camping" will have a plain edged primary knife anyway, so having this to complement it as a back up tool makes sense to me. I think the semi-sheepsfoot point makes sense too. I makes it a little safer for "rescue" cutting and wound access, whist retaining sufficient functionality for other tasks too, and makes for a sturdier blade tip.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 12:09:50 AM
For what it's worth...

https://gearjunkie.com/leatherman-signal-designer-zach-heise-interview

:rofl: :rofl:

Can you give a few examples of bad multi-tool design elements that you’ve seen before?

I think the most common poor design element out there is making a tool that has a lot of great function but is uncomfortable in your hand.

A common problem that I've found with Leatherman tools, including the Skele (one of the reasons I don't like the Signal design) and Rebar. I actually remember someone's post showing the carabiner on the Signal "biting" their hand :facepalm: In fact I did an entire thread on pliers ergonomics which showed Leatherman not doing too well in this aspect.

I have no issue with the rest of the article, it was quite an interesting read, but that section made me laugh out loud.  :D

I find the Signal very comfortable and during a ton of use it hasn't bitten me yet.   :shrug:

Re the LM ergos: I don't have the largest hands or the smallest hands, but in general if the handles are too splayed then it's time for dedicated tools.

I laughed at the quote too but more because some of the Signals function is limited by poor design elements. For example don't use the hammer with the handle lock engaged...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 12:51:02 AM
I find the Signal very comfortable and during a ton of use it hasn't bitten me yet.   :shrug:

Re the LM ergos: I don't have the largest hands or the smallest hands, but in general if the handles are too splayed then it's time for dedicated tools.

I laughed at the quote too but more because some of the Signals function is limited by poor design elements. For example don't use the hammer with the handle lock engaged...

:salute: I haven't handled one myself, the biting biner reference was to someone else's pics on here. Maybe Kam?  :think: Although there are a few things that I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with, such as using the drivers and awl in the open position. There are some things that Leatherman do well, but I wouldn't consider ergonomics to be one of them.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 01:38:15 AM

:salute: I haven't handled one myself, the biting biner reference was to someone else's pics on here. Maybe Kam?  :think: Although there are a few things that I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with, such as using the drivers and awl in the open position. There are some things that Leatherman do well, but I wouldn't consider ergonomics to be one of them.

I remember seeing the pic and testing it out. Yes it can bite you. But it just hasn't happened to me during any real work.

Lets not start the list of things LM doesn't do well.   ;)   :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 02:03:21 AM

I remember seeing the pic and testing it out. Yes it can bite you. But it just hasn't happened to me during any real work.

Lets not start the list of things LM doesn't do well.   ;)   :D

:tu: I suppose everyone's hands will sit differently on the handles, just as people get affected differently by handle splay, or getting pinched (general comments, not specific to this tool or brand).

I find I interesting that Gareth gets bitten by a LM Wave, but not a Multiplier, whereas I have no such issues with a Wave, but a Multiplier can give me a blood blister just by looking at one on a screen  :P :D the first time I handled one, I got bitten badly more than once just looking at the tools in the handles, which considering the tools are inboard, is really quite impressive. I think I took less than three minutes of me owning it to decide to sell it  :rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 02:49:56 AM
I like the Signal - I think it looks great and I'd like to get my hands on one.  The pliers, hammer, bit driver and awl I'd use often, I reckon.  But I'd want to replace the saw with a file, and the combo-edge blade with a plain edge.
:)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #53 on: October 06, 2016, 03:02:56 AM
I like the Signal - I think it looks great and I'd like to get my hands on one.  The pliers, hammer, bit driver and awl I'd use often, I reckon.  But I'd want to replace the saw with a file, and the combo-edge blade with a plain edge.

:cheers:
Signal 1.jpg
* Signal 1.jpg (Filesize: 41.51 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #54 on: October 06, 2016, 03:19:00 AM

Nice :tu:

K-Tibbs

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 03:23:53 AM
NOVEMBER CHALLENGE IS SIGNAL.. FORGET 111MM
  :like: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 03:33:03 AM

Nice :tu:

+1!!!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 03:41:27 AM

I don't see many peeps joining in. (Offer a Spirit with scissors as a prize and I might...) Maybe want to stick with the 111mm.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 04:01:40 AM

I don't see many peeps joining in. (Offer a Spirit with scissors as a prize and I might...) Maybe want to stick with the 111mm.

WE gonna a VOTE  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:15 AM

I voted for the Signal,  but I like it and it hasn't gotten a lot of attention the last few months.  I think you're right though.  Not many of us have a Signal, or at least haven't made it known if anyone else does.  There may be enough of us though.
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD