Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

RIP - Flik

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
RIP - Flik
on: May 18, 2016, 09:23:10 PM
http://www.gerbergear.com/content/search?SearchText=Flik

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but it looks like the Flik is no longer in production. It's a little bit sad, really, because it had a lot going for it. But it was not executed very well, so it always stayed in the shadows of Gerber's more popular tools and the tool I believe it was designed to compete directly with - the Leatherman Wave. Goofy blade design (the edge does not go back far enough) and poorly designed micro-drivers really undermined an otherwise good tool. The pliers and wire cutters are awesome. And the tool is pretty comfy in hand for as busy at it is with exterior blades, drivers, lock tabs, and slide buttons.

RIP brave soldier  :salute:

Here is hoping we see a new and improved Flik successor in January of 2017
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: RIP - Flik
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:34:01 PM
I have one and like it, but it is in one of our vehicles and rarely gets carried anymore.  I too hope to see a better successor to the Flik :tu:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:00:19 PM
I like certain aspects of my Flik and I carried as my on-duty tool for a pretty good stretch. But then I got issued an MP600 and carried it for a while. Then i switched back to my Wave. Then the SwitchPlier came out. Then I got a PowerLock. Now I've upgraded my MP600 to the D model. It sort of found a comfy spot in a drawer and there it sits.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:01 AM
I had 3 and all of them broke :(. Sent all 3 back for repairs and broke again. I'm still a Gerber guy but just don't like that model.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:00:34 AM
Never had a problem with my Flik.  True, the drivers are tiny, but they do work.  Hopefully Gerber will come up with something cool as a replacement.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:42 AM
Yes I like mine to glad I have one. I wonder if its big brother the Freehand gonna go to ?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:42:08 AM
I hate to be the one to break this to you. But, Freehand passed away a couple years ago. I'm so sorry you're funding out this way.

Lol, but seriously, they went out of production a while ago

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:22 AM
Never had a problem with my Flik.  True, the drivers are tiny, but they do work.  Hopefully Gerber will come up with something cool as a replacement.

What Tom said.  The Flik was my work carry MT for a long time and it did very well.  I'd definitely like to see Gerber having another go at something along the same line.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 02:35:18 AM
I hate to be the one to break this to you. But, Freehand passed away a couple years ago. I'm so sorry you're funding out this way.

Lol, but seriously, they went out of production a while ago
:rofl: :rofl: Can´t remember everything  ;)but I had a suspicion that could be the case but I have seen them here and there over the time but time flies so.......

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:33:43 PM
The Flik was my first multitool and it took me on this forum years ago. Mine is now retired and sleeps in a box but i would never sell or trade it, i am sentimental deep down. I desagree about the blades, i find them excellent, the serrated one in particoular. And the scissors are some of the best found on a mt. There goes your kin, my old friend!

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:38:07 AM
Bummer to hear that the Flik is being disco'd, although not suprising considering its issues.

Speaking of issues... Anyone got a broken Flik they'd be willing to send my way? :pok:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 04:20:42 AM
I never had a Flik but they did always interest me and I thought they looked better than the MP600 but going by a few of you the MP600 must have been the better tool :salute: Hopefully Gerber comes up with a new improved model :cheers:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:38 AM
RIP FliK.
The tool had some problems, like getting stuck easily. Still it was really good to hold and I liked the scissors. Smaller than it looked, for me it almost competed with LM Juice, due to similar drivers. If only the action would been smoother.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!