Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dive and Kayak knife

eamo · 38 · 4502

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Dive and Kayak knife
on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:53 PM
Right so, I'm looking for a pair of knives - one is for my daughter who is earning her open water PADI cert and the other for me, i'm hoping to get a kayak later this year.

I'm in no rush, she does not need it anytime soon as she will be diving for the forseeable with an instructor even after she qualifies, but figured i'd ask and see what people think.

The knives is purely for safety, and it has to be budget, diving is fraking expensive enough without dropping money on a titanium tactical blah blah !

Criteria are - affordable, blunt tip, corrosion resistant and not sure what else :)

I'm thinking something like this - affordable and fits the bill -
http://www.ndiver.com/products/KN48-Knife.html

for for the kayak, something like the gerber river shorty - except i'm not fond of gerber kit and the shorty seems to no longer be on Gerbers web site. Grant mentioned he had one, but never gave a whole pile of info on it. But something along those lines.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:29:22 PM by eamo »
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Re: Dive and Kayak knife
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:31:31 PM
For the kayak

I have not tried one but NRS makes knives for kayaking.

Show content

Personally I use a kabar Zombie "Acheron" Skeleton Knife, cheap if it gets lost, and I put the sheath on a clip on my PFD.  Used it a lot for picking up litter.

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/137

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:19:55 AM
"affordable" is debatable, depending on how much you like to spend on a knife - but for Kayaking I recommend a Wichard sailing knife.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:23:16 AM
I didn't know you were dive certified :D what a journey!!

That KN48 looks awesome! Do you plan on carrying it on your calf, BCD, or arm?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 02:26:34 AM
My favorite for snorkeling and kayaking so far is the CRKT Neckolas, but it is discontinued and now hard to find.  It is a brilliant little knife.

I will be trying out the CRKT Bear Claw this year to see if it will be a decent enough replacement.  Both of these knives are as inexpensive as they come, and would get my vote.

Especially the Neckolas if you can find an orange one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline JP

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:52:12 AM
We have carried Gerber River Shorty on our PFD. Luckily, no need to use it.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:17:05 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys -

"affordable" is debatable, depending on how much you like to spend on a knife - but for Kayaking I recommend a Wichard sailing knife.

fair point, I guess the knife I linked to, £16/€20 is about where I am - i understand you get what you pay for,  I'm looking for the mora of the sea world :D - and I love my moras and opinels.

My favorite for snorkeling and kayaking so far is the CRKT Neckolas, but it is discontinued and now hard to find.  It is a brilliant little knife.

I will be trying out the CRKT Bear Claw this year to see if it will be a decent enough replacement.  Both of these knives are as inexpensive as they come, and would get my vote.

Especially the Neckolas if you can find an orange one.

Def

Yeah I read a post where you were talking about the bear claw, and also the gerber river shorty. I dunno why, i just don't like the shape of the bearclaw or the neckolas, the river shorty definitely caught my attention though.

I didn't know you were dive certified :D what a journey!!

That KN48 looks awesome! Do you plan on carrying it on your calf, BCD, or arm?

I'm not, I prefer to be on the water rather then in it ! My daughter has gotten the bug and she is currently doing her PADI open water and already talking about the advanced course plus some of the specialities. She'll probably carry it on her BCD i would imagine. It's purely for the highly unlikely event of ropes/nets/whatever and until she is older she has to dive with an instructor regardless of her certification.

So no big rush either. But sure the research is 1/2 the fun :D   

You think the KN48 is a good option ? Defo affordable.

We have carried Gerber River Shorty on our PFD. Luckily, no need to use it.

what do you think of the river shorty ?

For the kayak

Yud, a bit more then I want to spend I think. This knife and multitool business has gotten expensive ! ! !

And after this, will be the post on affordable underwater cameras, dive computers (she wants a suunto zoop for Christmas). Fortunately, I don't need to worry about BCD's, regulators or wetsuits yet as she will just grow out of them so we rent :)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:52:32 AM
There's the MORA Rescue knife:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:22:20 AM
There's the MORA Rescue knife:

(Image removed from quote.)

there is and thats an option. I'll have a closer look at the mora :tu: thanks Firiki

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 11:52:42 AM
The River Shorty is another good knife indeed.  I had one and gave it to my father.

What I didn't like about the River Shorty is the double edged blade and the handle was mostly ambiguous.  This is one of the reasons I liked the Neckolas, since your hand automatically is in the right place on the knife or it won't deploy.

This is not usually as much of an issue for a dive knife, but it is imperative IMHO for a kayak knife, especially if you get tangled up in something somewhere with a strong current.

I also have the Benchmade dive knife, now discontinued.  It is nice, but pricey.  I like it for diving, but so far nothing really beats the Neckolas for kayaking, at least in my mind.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 01:21:32 PM
I'm not a diver so I can only pass on information that I've been told.  What I've been told by several friends who are avid divers, and have dived internationally, is that dive boats are more and more not allowing people to carry dive knives.  Or at least they are requiring knives that are not larger than 3 inches or with sharp points.  Your daughter already wants a blunt or chisel point so that's not an issue.  Getting free of fishing lines, nets, or kelp is still a concern, however, so many of my friends are going with shears or hooked tools instead of knives.  You might look into that.

I do have a dive knife though. It's a 1972 Dacor, hand forged of marine stainless in Soligen, Germany, that I bought at a rummage sale for 25 cents without a scabbard. Which brings me to my next point which is that you should check out the local diver's classifieds for a used knife at a good price.
P1100974.JPG
* P1100974.JPG (Filesize: 107.04 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:39:04 PM
For diving, snorkeling, spearfishing I just carry a yellow squalo knife with rust resistant steel, a saw, line cutter and blade on it.

I keep it sharp and wash it afterwards, but have only used it for cleaning fish, a few times.

I do not think you need some sort of super expensive fancy knife - just something that does not rust too easily and is reasonably tough. It also needs to be large enough to be used with gloves.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 02:40:40 PM
I'm not a diver so I can only pass on information that I've been told.  What I've been told by several friends who are avid divers, and have dived internationally, is that dive boats are more and more not allowing people to carry dive knives.  Or at least they are requiring knives that are not larger than 3 inches or with sharp points.  Your daughter already wants a blunt or chisel point so that's not an issue.  Getting free of fishing lines, nets, or kelp is still a concern, however, so many of my friends are going with shears or hooked tools instead of knives.  You might look into that.

I do have a dive knife though. It's a 1972 Dacor, hand forged of marine stainless in Soligen, Germany, that I bought at a rummage sale for 25 cents without a scabbard. Which brings me to my next point which is that you should check out the local diver's classifieds for a used knife at a good price.

yeah Alan, I imagine a RIB / inflatable does not go well with a sharp pointed object. Thats a nice knife you have but total overkill for what she needs :)
For diving, snorkeling, spearfishing I just carry a yellow squalo knife with rust resistant steel, a saw, line cutter and blade on it.

I keep it sharp and wash it afterwards, but have only used it for cleaning fish, a few times.

I do not think you need some sort of super expensive fancy knife - just something that does not rust too easily and is reasonably tough. It also needs to be large enough to be used with gloves.

thanks Dimitri, yup, something nice and cheap is what i want, especially as i'm the one funding it for her :D :D :D - as an off topic, i've seen some of the pics you've posted of your diving trips, what camera gear you use ? Houseings for SLRs cost much more then the cameras themselves !

The River Shorty is another good knife indeed.  I had one and gave it to my father.

What I didn't like about the River Shorty is the double edged blade and the handle was mostly ambiguous.  This is one of the reasons I liked the Neckolas, since your hand automatically is in the right place on the knife or it won't deploy.

This is not usually as much of an issue for a dive knife, but it is imperative IMHO for a kayak knife, especially if you get tangled up in something somewhere with a strong current.

Def

cheers Grant, i'll bear this in mind when I (eventually) get my kayak :) and my knife to go with my kayak :) hopefully this summer . . . bit of fishing, bit of chilling . . .

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 03:31:42 PM
Most of the older pictures were taken using a Pentax p&s with an 1.5m rating. My signature has links to various threads.

I currently use a fuji with a 15m rating, that seems ok to 20m. I use it as my tough work camera. Some p&s have housings, which take them to 60m but they are a few hundred euros. Any housing adds an extra medium change for the light which may affect the picture. With a purposefully built diving camera you avoid that.

I would suggest a 30m p&s from a known brand. It is unlikely you will be diving deeper than that.

There are various chinese cameras with housing, xaomi or something, that can get you to 60m for under 100 euros, basically using the gopro system, but i do not know how good the wr or the picture will be.

There are reviews on various sites and YouTube. I think they have no zoom.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 04:02:22 PM
thanks, good info there :2tu:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:49 AM
Eamo,

I agree the NRS are a little pricey, that is why I carry the kabar, I don't know how much they are in Italy but here they are around $10.

A more expensive knife seems like you are asking to lose it. :cheers: so I get not wanting an expensive knife.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 02:29:26 PM
The new mora eldris wouldn't fit my criteria for a dive knife but i wonder would it function nicely as a kayak knife ?  :think:  :think:  :think:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 06:14:30 PM
When you're like me, knives get lost.  Of course, I've only lost them temporarily.   I'd pick the Mora--dirt cheap and dependable--two things that (normally) don't go together.  They're under $20, meaning easily replaced.  But--they're rust resistance isn't all that great.  My Bahco rebranded Mora Clipper rusted in relatively non humid air and hadn't even been used or carried once then.

The only truly rust resistant steel I've experienced is Spyderco's H1.  Of course a Spyderco rescue knife in H1 is more than three times (at the cheapest prices) that of the Mora.   

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 07:42:24 PM
When you're like me, knives get lost.  Of course, I've only lost them temporarily.   I'd pick the Mora--dirt cheap and dependable--two things that (normally) don't go together.  They're under $20, meaning easily replaced.  But--they're rust resistance isn't all that great.  My Bahco rebranded Mora Clipper rusted in relatively non humid air and hadn't even been used or carried once then.

The only truly rust resistant steel I've experienced is Spyderco's H1.  Of course a Spyderco rescue knife in H1 is more than three times (at the cheapest prices) that of the Mora.

yeah by the time spyderco's get to this part of the world they are expensive ! also, i don't want a folder, i'm a follower of KIS when to comes to stuff like this which would only be used rarely and when  under pressure.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 08:38:09 PM
As long as you wash the knife with tap water afterwards you should be OK. It will only rust if you leave it with the sea-salt on. I know spyderco pushes the H1 steel, and people that use it say it works well, but, there are many other companies making diving knives, speSmurfpillsed companies, and they all seem to use steel with enough rust resistance. My diving knife looks new and it was cheap - possibly 10 Euros?

here it is, still sold, in the UK. Considering that I bought it over a decade ago, they must be doing something good, if it is still selling.
http://www.siffknives.co.uk/eng/663/ARTSQUALO17.html

the rubber straps and the sheath still work fine.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:50 PM
As long as you wash the knife with tap water afterwards you should be OK. It will only rust if you leave it with the sea-salt on. I know spyderco pushes the H1 steel, and people that use it say it works well, but, there are many other companies making diving knives, speSmurfpillsed companies, and they all seem to use steel with enough rust resistance. My diving knife looks new and it was cheap - possibly 10 Euros?

here it is, still sold, in the UK. Considering that I bought it over a decade ago, they must be doing something good, if it is still selling.
http://www.siffknives.co.uk/eng/663/ARTSQUALO17.html

the rubber straps and the sheath still work fine.

Sweet ! LOTS of shineys . . . . . . . . . thanks, thats within my budget, now must order enough stuff to make the shipping worthwhile . . . .  :facepalm:

Offline graham_s

• New User
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 07:54:28 PM
My advice would be to get a line cutter instead of a knife.
That said, I use a Spyderco Atlantic Salt.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 09:51:27 PM
My advice would be to get a line cutter instead of a knife.
That said, I use a Spyderco Atlantic Salt.

yeah, spyderco won't happen cos 1) it's a folder, and 2) major expensive (for me) - probably wind up with both a line cutter and a knife. No harm in a bit of redundancy.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:31 AM
When you are kayaking you want something without a pointy tip.  You will use the knife for many things regularly while kayaking, but the one important thing to take into consideration is that you may someday need it for rescuing yourself or someone else.  In those cases there is a very real chance that you won't have the time to work it safely, and so a rounded, unsharpened tip are of paramount importance.

There's not much benefit to getting someone out of an old fishing net if you fillet them doing it.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 04:22:49 PM
You only need 1 knife for fishing, diving, boating, walking around .....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 05:26:04 PM
Nice theory, but where is Paul Hogan now?  :P

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 05:29:18 PM
doing well, for his age. And you?    :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 06:00:37 PM
Doing average for his age. ..

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 06:05:17 PM
thanks for the tips Grant - Dimitri, that knife runs counter to Grants (and your) advice  :whistle: :P . . . i think i'll got with the blunt tip jobbies

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 08:44:10 PM

Dimitri, I know you recommended the siff knife, but, whats your thoughts on this one -

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Lomo-bcd-knife-bc-compact-hi-vis-yellow.html

reason i prefer this over the siff is that it is smaller, plus it comes with fittings to attach to her BCD which i prefer rather then strapping it on.

SIFF - Overall length 7.1" - Blade length 3.3"

LOMO - Overall Length in sheath : 17CM (6.69") - Blade Length : 7CM (2.75")

Both are cheap, affordable knives which seem good quality for the price.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD