Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coin pocket knives

Grathr · 56 · 5251

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Coin pocket knives
on: May 21, 2016, 11:32:07 AM
I like to carry a small folder in my coin pocket. There the knife is out of sight, but still easy to access. Very convinient when its not suitable to carry a larger knife with a pocket clip. What knives do you carry in your coin pocket?

Here are some of the ones I like to carry in my coin pocket:

From top to bottom:
Gerber BG Compact II
Ocoee River barlow
Spyderco Dragonfly
Kershaw Coral Creek
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Coin pocket knives
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:36:25 PM
My two favorite coin pocket folders...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 03:19:31 PM
I like to carry a small folder in my coin pocket. There the knife is out of sight, but still easy to access. Very convinient when its not suitable to carry a larger knife with a pocket clip. What knives do you carry in your coin pocket?

(Image removed from quote.)

From top to bottom:
Gerber BG Compact II
Ocoee River barlow
Spyderco Dragonfly
Kershaw Coral Creek

Cool stuff, especially dig that barlow  :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:35:58 PM

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 11:36:39 PM

From top to bottom:
Gerber BG Compact II
Ocoee River barlow
Spyderco Dragonfly
Kershaw Coral Creek

Cool stuff, especially dig that barlow  :tu:

Thanks!
I like it alot too :)

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:29:52 AM
Vic Spartan or Sanrenmu 605, Micra and P4 for multis. Sometimes (depending on the pants) I can even carry the Wave, other times there is absolutely nothing I can carry on them.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:56:52 AM
With Levis darn near everything in my EDC rotation fits in my coin pocket well, as it's deep and narrow.  My last good pair of Levis finally wore out.  I bought some new ones, but ended up giving them away, they were way too poor quality compared to the older ones.  I started buying Wranglers (which are far better quality, and made in Mexico of American fabric, instead of some country I have to get out the atlas to find) and their coin pockets are shallow and wide, more suited to my cellphone--a Samsung Rugby 4.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 03:11:04 AM
Personally my favorite knife for a coin pocket is my Case Peanut CV.  I also recently got a Buck mini Trapper in a trade from Jday that fits great as well.  I feel nekkid without at least a small slipjoint on me, so those two work great. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 01:17:19 PM
My two favorite coin pocket folders...

Those are nice!
Is the small black one a SRM?

SRM 6040, excellent chinese cheapo, much better than most Enlen, HARNDS, Ganzos and other chinese folders twice as expensive
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
Being a fan of small pocket knives, almost all my knives are coin pocket size. Two of my favorites are the Boker 240 pen knife on top, and the Remington/Camillus peanut on the bottom.

The Italian Zuava pattern from northern Italy by Massarin is 3 1/4 inches and coin pocket size.

Sardinian Resolza made by Salvatore Ossai with rams horn is a small lighteright 3 1/4 inch coin pocket knife.

And of curse my trusty Christy knife fits in a coin pocket with room to spare. Very handy little sucker! Shown here with the Remington peanut.

But last and far from least is, the Case peanut. Here with white delrin and stainless.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:36:14 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 10:46:30 PM
Damnit Carl! :twak: you're the reason I got my first Peanut, and now I need a Christy...... ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 12:10:43 AM
Yeah, Carl made me want a Christy too.  Really, that's about as much knife as I ever need.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:50:24 AM
Damnit Carl! :twak: you're the reason I got my first Peanut, and now I need a Christy...... ;)

That's the point; everyone needs a Christy knife.

Not that many small family companies around in the U.S. anymore making a quality product with an interesting history combined with a high dose of real world usefulness.

Christy's, peanuts, Victorinox classics, all you really need for a semi urban life in 21st century America to cut twine, UPS boxes, plastic blister packages, mail opening, and waterer else needs to be cut. Not for fighting off Chinese paratroops, hostile injuns, skinning buffalo, or de-animating enemy sentries.  :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 06:07:36 AM
Great knives Cbl51!

I never heard of a Christy knife. I have to check those out.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:28 AM
Christy make great knives. Cheap, slim and useful. I think they would make great stocking fillers for Christmas, because they excel at most people's everyday tasks.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 05:10:13 PM
Christy make great knives. Cheap, slim and useful. I think they would make great stocking fillers for Christmas, because they excel at most people's everyday tasks.

Yes, for what most people use a pocket knife in modern life, a Christy will do nicely. The great thing about them is, you can actuyally abuse them a bit, because the blades are replaceable for a few bucks. Two screws and the knife comes apart for cleaning and blade replacement. The blade also locks out in three different lengths for different tasks. The fist with the blade just poking out from the frame works like a box cutter in opening those accursed plastic blister packages. Pretty good on UPS and Fedex boxes too!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:10:50 AM
Nice pipe! I just loaded one of my Grabow's with some Macbaren Navy Flake..... :tu:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:08:19 AM
Nice pipe! I just loaded one of my Grabow's with some Macbaren Navy Flake..... :tu:

I'll load up a pipe and join ya!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:22 PM
I don't have recommendation for such a small knife but I have been searching for a blade that is slim and lightweight. I handled Al Mar Eagle Ultralight last week and fell in love (until I saw the price). That thing weights NOTHING. And it has 4 inch blade too, to make those food preps easier.
I would like a knife like that, but the Eagle has AUS8 steel that I don't like. And for that its way too expensive. I will search for othee blades in around 2oz weight next week and hopefully find something out. I wouldn't pick heavy knife for the coin pocket, it can be long, but also really slim.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 09:28:49 PM
Most of the time I carry a small flashlight in my coin pocket, but sometimes I carry a knife, usually one of these: Case Medium Jack, Buck 55, or Case Swayback Gent (with AA for scale). All great, but I probably carry the Buck most often.

May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:47 PM

Yes, for what most people use a pocket knife in modern life, a Christy will do nicely. The great thing about them is, you can actuyally abuse them a bit, because the blades are replaceable for a few bucks. Two screws and the knife comes apart for cleaning and blade replacement. The blade also locks out in three different lengths for different tasks. The fist with the blade just poking out from the frame works like a box cutter in opening those accursed plastic blister packages. Pretty good on UPS and Fedex boxes too!

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a small, weird knife on a local fleamarket - turns out it is a Christy!
I'll have to repair the locking mechanism, but otherwise it's in almost mint condition.

Tomcat, casual knife collector
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Online LoopCutter

Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 02:13:14 AM
A SAK Pocket Pal does carry well, or my Buck 55.
Sorry no pictures, as these are at home and I am not till later Friday. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 02:19:13 AM

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a small, weird knife on a local fleamarket - turns out it is a Christy!
I'll have to repair the locking mechanism, but otherwise it's in almost mint condition.

Tomcat, casual knife collector

You can buy a brand new lock plate from Christy. Their website has to get in touch with them to order parts and spare blades.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 04:21:26 AM
Well, I'm ordering a Christy next week after I take care of some bills. :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 05:48:24 AM
So, I lost my SAK today outta my 5th pocket... Must have slipped right out. I was carrying my S1 and my 2 layer Electrician. There was room to spare so it wasn't a tight fit, lesson learned.

Luckily it was only for 7 minutes and I found it in my Van  :D felt like an eternity! Haha
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 07:26:02 AM
I don't have recommendation for such a small knife but I have been searching for a blade that is slim and lightweight. I handled Al Mar Eagle Ultralight last week and fell in love (until I saw the price). That thing weights NOTHING. And it has 4 inch blade too, to make those food preps easier.
I would like a knife like that, but the Eagle has AUS8 steel that I don't like. And for that its way too expensive. I will search for othee blades in around 2oz weight next week and hopefully find something out. I wouldn't pick heavy knife for the coin pocket, it can be long, but also really slim.

You need to appreciate the craftsmanship and design rather than the materials when it comes to Japanese lockbacks. I had the same reservations and ended up with an Eagle HD (G10, ZDP189 Laminate, full liners) that does not weight all that much more. I am getting other knives from the same factory, check out the Moki Blakistons Fish Owl as an example; AUS8 is perfectly fine in a classy light use knife.
On the topic at hand; I like to carry a smaller knife alongside the pokey Eagle to do finer jobs.

Some of my favorites in this cion pocket space are below; nearly a SAK all the time but occasionally...

Al Mar Eagle HD for scale
CRKT Bokkie - a South African special model for distributor Sharp Edge
Kershaw Coral Creek Sheepsfoot - another one apparently made for this distributor as the 3115BT (Biltong)
Spyderco Dragonfly with clip removed - soft H1 steel but awesome hollow grind and I touch it up daily to keep it like a laser.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 12:18:11 PM
Ladybug salt
Weasel

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 04:53:59 PM
I have one Al Mar and don't even know what it is beyond the maker;

It was my father's and he carried it a lot.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07:15 PM
I have one Al Mar and don't even know what it is beyond the maker;

It was my father's and he carried it a lot.
I like the look of that
Weasel

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:14 PM
For me a coin pocket knife needs to be thin, otherwise it gets in the way when putting my hand in the main pocket.  These are two of my favourites.  Sanrenmu 4057 and 4109.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%