Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crosscut Replacement in 2017?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Crosscut Replacement in 2017?
on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:38 PM
So.... the Crosscut is discontinued. Now what? It had been around for a long time, but the quality of version 2.0 was bad. It's a great concept, and with proper execution it would probably still be with us.

All SOG has in keychain size is those little keys with knives and scissors tucked into them. I guess the MACV is intended as a keychain tool (too many points, IMHO).

So, has anyone got any thoughts? Will we see a replacement in January 2017? Will they replace it at all?

A Squirt/Style/Dime layout (with compound leverage, probably) would be logical progression from the Crosscut. Outside access tools and it could be configured to be travel friendly.

Feel free to discuss
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Crosscut Replacement in 2017?
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 09:23:11 PM
The problem with the CrossCut was that only thing it had to offer over the Micra (besides a toothpick) was its superior abilities to cut tough materials, at the cost of inferior performance with precision tasks and delicate materials (cloth tags, thread). I'd bet the target group of keychain sized scissor tools generally only deal with stray threads, paper, and the like, rather than paracord or monofilament thread that the CrossCut excelled at. As such, it performed poorly for the largest niche of potential buyers, so they stayed with Leatherman.

I think that SOG took the wrong approach with the CrossCut and CrossGrip. They weren't bad tools themselves, but they just weren't very good for actually having on a keychain. They opened too easily in the pocket. I think a scissor based tool on a Juice sized frame (smaller than a PPP) would have done well with the fishing crowd, especially if sold with a companion tool on the same frame with a real Needlenose plier (with a bent tip?). That would be a killer combo for fisherman, I think, and is a niche that is really only filled by relatively small dedicated tools, the massive BlackTip, and equally large Gerber sliding Fisherman's tools.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:29:24 PM

I won this one in a Lynn LeFey giveaway.  Thanks again Lynn!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:15:41 AM
The problem with the CrossCut was that only thing it had to offer over the Micra (besides a toothpick) was its superior abilities to cut tough materials, at the cost of inferior performance with precision tasks and delicate materials (cloth tags, thread). I'd bet the target group of keychain sized scissor tools generally only deal with stray threads, paper, and the like, rather than paracord or monofilament thread that the CrossCut excelled at. As such, it performed poorly for the largest niche of potential buyers, so they stayed with Leatherman.

I think that SOG took the wrong approach with the CrossCut and CrossGrip. They weren't bad tools themselves, but they just weren't very good for actually having on a keychain. They opened too easily in the pocket. I think a scissor based tool on a Juice sized frame (smaller than a PPP) would have done well with the fishing crowd, especially if sold with a companion tool on the same frame with a real Needlenose plier (with a bent tip?). That would be a killer combo for fisherman, I think, and is a niche that is really only filled by relatively small dedicated tools, the massive BlackTip, and equally large Gerber sliding Fisherman's tools.

All really good points :tu: I really like the idea of a Juice-sized scissor-based tool. SOG just released a Juice-sized tool with pliers, though - I wonder how the Reactor would look with shears? :D

I've been thinking that SOG should come up with a tool-box style tool that accept the small and medium sized implements from the PowerLock and stuff (think Gerber Multi-Lite, but small enough to go on your keys). To really capitalize, they would need to come up with some additional small/medium sized tools for it - such as a mini blade, file, package opener, etc... use your imagination. Added bonus: we'd get more variety to put into our full size SOGs :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:20 AM
For me, the biggest downside of the Crosscut was the lack of a phillips driver.  The whole world is held together with small phillips screws.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:11:04 AM
For me, the biggest downside of the Crosscut was the lack of a phillips driver.  The whole world is held together with small phillips screws.

Yep, pretty unforgivable for a tool to lack the capability to drive a Philips screw. Even one of those flat drivers with the triangle shaped heads can work well for them - I've got an old Wenger with one and it works better than SOG's 3D Philips

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 10:32:58 PM
Hopefully they replace it and if they do I hope it is a piece of awesomeness :D

it Offline danilo

Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
I've always loved the look of it (in pictures at least), but the tools selection, and the non-entusiastic reviews made me always lean towards the Micra.
But since I haven't bought neither of them, SOG is still in time to impress me with some tempting upgrade.

First thing I'd like to see is the toothpick gone, and replaced with some useful tools, it  also seems  beefy, so maybe they can fit a couple? or maybe 3d phillips? that's would be awesome.

What would you like to see on a possible new crosscut?

Danilo

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 04:16:27 PM
What would you like to see on a possible new crosscut?

Danilo

Well, something along the lines of a Squirt with outside access tools would be the next logical progression. Or even a tool-box type tool that would accept SOGs replaceable implements (the short ones). But maybe SOG should go at it from a different angle. A SOG MiniTool with the PPP head would be unique to the the market these days. But something like that would probably compete with the Reactor :think:

it Offline danilo

Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 05:14:12 PM
Well I was more thinking to an enhancement on the CrossCut rather than a brand new tool...
I was trying to brainstorm on a micra killer from SOG

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 05:43:52 PM
Well I was more thinking to an enhancement on the CrossCut rather than a brand new tool...
I was trying to brainstorm on a micra killer from SOG

That works, too. But change the bend of the handle so it looks like a "W" similar to the LM Wave. This would also inprove comfort when in shears-mode. You now have 4 channels for tools that are facing to the outside and a channel in the middle for the shears. Additionally:

- Keep the compound leverage, but redesign the spring.
- bottle opener that doesn't require deployment (similar to Dime/Style)
- add a wire-stripper notch to base of shear-blades (evil510 modded a Style to have this feature)

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 07:00:30 PM
I don't have a CrossCut, so wasn't aware they left off the phillips driver. I do have a CrossGrip, and it has the single worst phillips I've ever seen in my life.

it Offline danilo

Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:06:15 PM
I don't have a CrossCut, so wasn't aware they left off the phillips driver. I do have a CrossGrip, and it has the single worst phillips I've ever seen in my life.

ah, that's encouraging...  :oops:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 05:04:30 PM
What the Crosscut did right that the Micra didn't was the toothpick. Slap a toothpick on the Micra and we have a winner.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 10:21:34 PM
What the Crosscut did right thakot the Micra didn't was the toothpick. Slap a toothpick on the Micra and we have a winner.

I agree . I love a toothpick over tweezers anyway though :D I took the tweezers out of my Freestyle and put a Vic toothpick there as well :whistle:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 01:08:05 AM
The answer turned out to be "Yes. They are bringing back the Micro ToolClip" :D :D :D Although, dare I say, the MTC3 is on the big-side for keychain carry, IMHO. But I don't really like a heavy tool like that on my keychain, anyways, so it suits me fine. It's a great pocket tool! :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 03:25:14 AM
The answer turned out to be "Yes. They are bringing back the Micro ToolClip" :D :D :D Although, dare I say, the MTC3 is on the big-side for keychain carry, IMHO. But I don't really like a heavy tool like that on my keychain, anyways, so it suits me fine. It's a great pocket tool! :tu:

I have pocket carried mine with the clip :cheers: and there is no way it will ever be attached to any set of my keys :o :D Glad that they brought this back and put it at such a good price point :tu: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%