Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody knows about this SMF Solingen ?

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Anybody knows about this SMF Solingen ?
on: May 25, 2016, 03:57:32 PM
Hi guys!
Just stumbled over this the other day and it intrigued me so I bought it by impulse. Played with it the whole day and it seems to be ok quality.
A little better than a cheapo.
By its look it seems fairly old. 50-80:s ? I don´t know. Would love to hear something about it.
The blade tang says SMF Solingen with a king or knight picture on it so I guess it´s from Germany.
It´s plierbased and has a
Knife, awl and
a big flat screwdriver with a small part of file, bottleopener and what looks like a wirestripper.

Anybody else have this ? Knows when/why by who it was made ?
SMF1.JPG
* SMF1.JPG (Filesize: 254.21 KB)
SMF2.JPG
* SMF2.JPG (Filesize: 260.39 KB)
SMF3.JPG
* SMF3.JPG (Filesize: 268.96 KB)
SMF4.JPG
* SMF4.JPG (Filesize: 246.33 KB)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Anybody knows about this SMF Solingen ?
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:19:19 PM
I pretty certain I've got the exact same tool somewhere :think: don't think mine is as clean as yours though!!
I think it's similar to the seaboard versions....Seaboard?? Is that what they're called?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:18:09 PM
Thanks Tosh. :cheers:
Well you are on the wright track a google search of Seaboard shows a tool that are similar and also lead to the brand Hoffritz which seems to be the one a have from a catalogue from the 60:s
http://www.multi-tool.org/vintagepliers.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 05:45:40 PM
Well you are on the wright track a google search of Seaboard shows a tool that are similar and also lead to the brand Hoffritz which seems to be the one a have from a catalogue from the 60:s

I've seen a few variations on this tool, all chromed/nickel plated, some with "round" wire cutters and some with "square", some slightly larger.  I have several different brands, some German, some French, one Japanese and one Italian:  Seaboard (France), Hoffritz, L'Electric (SGDG France), Voss Cut (DGM), Hubeo (Hugo Berns), Hi-Test (Japan), Executive Line (Italy).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:50:22 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:48:03 AM

I've seen a few variations on this tool, all chromed/nickel plated, some with "round" wire cutters and some with "square", some slightly larger.  I have several different brands, some German, some French, one Japanese and one Italian:  Seaboard (France), Hoffritz, L'Electric (SGDG France), Voss Cut (DGM), Hubeo (Hugo Berns), Hi-Test (Japan), Executive Line (Italy).

Hey Greg

I'm beginning to realise that you now must own an incredible collection both in volume and depth of the multitool variations over the past 2-3 decades. It seems tragic that you never post pictures. I'd love to see all the examples you list above in a side by side comparison.
Did I read once that you used to be into photography??
I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting to see your collection  :drool:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:17:20 AM
Hey Greg

I'm beginning to realise that you now must own an incredible collection both in volume and depth of the multitool variations over the past 2-3 decades. It seems tragic that you never post pictures. I'd love to see all the examples you list above in a side by side comparison.
Did I read once that you used to be into photography??
I'm sure that I'm not alone in wanting to see your collection  :drool:

Hello Tosh,

I have focussed mostly on older or less common plier-based MTs, plus a few weird and wacky tools, and yes, I have a fair few MTs.  Sorry I don't do photos much at all these days, Its not something I am into at all.  I am usually happy to help out with info where I can, which probably raises my visibility compared to some other large collectors who prefer a low profile.

Most of the MTs I described above have photos in the MTo wiki, but for some reason I can't find the page at the moment.  Here is a thread with some photos:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=49294.0

I used to take a few photos decades ago (mostly nature and landscape shots, but my old film cameras have been unused for over 20 years now).

I don't think I'll be adding to my collection much from now on, in fact I may start to downsize at some stage.  The "thrill of the hunt" doesn't seem to excite me as much as it used to (but no regrets, I have enjoyed collecting).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 11:54:34 PM

Thanks Gregozedobe for all the info. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD