Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dad's Unfinished Knife Project

us Online Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Dad's Unfinished Knife Project
on: May 26, 2016, 11:15:45 AM
    One day back in the 90's I bought a Ka-Bar Fighting Knife. Dad used to tell me no man needed a blade that big, so he took it down to a much more reasonable level and gave it back to me. Was proud of that knife, carried it with me when hiking/trekking in the woods, to work, and with me to social events - lived in the mountains then too, so wearing knives was commonplace.
    Was showing the knife off in a family restaurant that serves pizza, hot sandwiches, and beer. And the waitress was every single man's tease - well... when you live in the mountains single women were hard to come by. Anyhow, I distinctly remember putting the knife back in the sheath as I always clipped the blade in its leather holder/snap. Somewhere between there and staggering out to the Scout (vehicle) I lost the knife.
    Searched all over heck to find it, even offered rewards for it, nothing. Someone had to of lifted it off me. Could of sworn it was on me when I spent the night in the Scout. No one could of entered the vehicle without me knowing it cause everything on that beast screeched and rattled. Windows were rolled up too cause the mozzies were horrid along the river towns.
    Eventually my dad asked me about the knife. Told him what happened, and man he came unglued. He swore he'd never make me another knife. That was that, and I felt awful about it since.

After the flood (yes, it actually flood in the mountains) in 1998 and after the highway was repaired they sold the houses and we moved down here to the flatlands. My Father died of lung cancer a few years later. Was going through boxes after the second move and found this unfinished knife. Asked Mom about it and she knew nothing about him making another knife - for anyone. Lost Mom about 1.5 years ago too.

So here I am with an unfinished knife. Had a good looking sheath made for it, but the blade & knife parts were roughly shaped and nothing more. I know nothing about finishing blades or the knife. It has been on my mind for quite some time.

Any suggestions on how to finish the knife? I have no power tools other than a Dremel, and slowly rebuilding my stash of tools. Have a few hand files.

Unsure if I had asked before my abrupt hiatus a while back.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Dad's Unfinished Knife Project
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:19:39 PM
Hi Xelkos

I guess it all depends on whether the blade has been heat treated yet and whether the handle can still be removed.

If the blade is still soft, by the looks of it you maybe only need to do some filing and then many hours with sanding paper.

If it's been hardened&tempered and the handle fixed you are a bit limited in what you can do, I think mainly use your Dremmel to smooth what you can and polish it up.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:29:22 PM
I would assume that since it's got the handle on it's ready to finish up. For the blade I would probably recommend either a very fine stone or equally fine paper (5000-10000 grit). For the handle start with a much coarser grit 180- 240 and move on toward 600-800. Might need to be careful with the metal so as not to get dark metal grit in the wood. I wouldn't use any powertools especially if what you have is a Dremel (you risk gouging holes where you don't want them).

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:54 PM
    I know Dad preferred either files or more especially lawn mower blades. Thing was no one actually got to see him make knives unless you got lucky enough to interrupt him, or you see him punching out the leather segments. Guess it was some trade secret.  ???
¬ Outback in Idaho

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 10:00:06 PM
Is the blade hardened?

How is the pommel fitted?  Can it perhaps be unscrewed?

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:11:07 PM
    Pommel can be unscrewed, yes. Metal does not appear to be soft as I've run a file across it in the past with minimal effect. The guard, pommel and spacers are aluminum. Guard is fitted, though not finished.

Pommel is loose, would require some sort on thin spacer shims. Am hoping to run across one of his own blades he carried to get an idea what was used.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:28:11 PM
 :tu:
Sand paper and patience.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 10:46:35 AM
I have the very strong feeling that this knife was meant for you.

lile people have said before- sandpaper (the good paper, glued onto a very smooth surface) and lots of patience.

Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:46:30 AM
I don't know your father, nor do I know anything about your relationship with him, but I have to say, if it were me, I would probably get a nice plexiglass case for it and maybe have a nice little plate engraved to say something about your father to put in it.   I'd keep the knife just as he left it.

But that's just me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 03:47:42 AM
I second that notion. I would keep it as it is.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44