Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Issues with my SOG tools

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Issues with my SOG tools
on: May 27, 2016, 01:09:04 PM
I had ordered four SOG tools, and they arrived today.
Sadly, I can't say I'm impressed.
The tools have too much play when locked.
Too much handle flex when squeezing.
The locks on my two PowerLocks are weak. The locking parts wiggle. The implements do not snap in place, and for some, it does not engage. I have to press it with my thumb to make it engage, but then it is very tight, and very difficult to disengage it.

Two Pocket powerpliers, they're ok.
One PowerLock, has a lock that is very weak. Is there anything I can do to made it stronger?

I was so excited to receive them.  :( What a bummer.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Issues with my SOG tools
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:54:41 AM
:shrug: bummer.

I had similar lock issues with my OG PowerLock. It was the primary reason I got rid of it actually. I think it was a problem with the cap lifter being closed too far into the tool, causing the lock to not get a good catch. Is this what is going on with yours?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:35:55 AM
From what I can see, the spring that presses against the locking tab is very weak. The locking tab itself is wobbly and can be disengaged just by touching it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:03:39 AM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 03:51:17 AM
A couple years back, I ordered two SOG multi-tools from Costco website. Back then, I was trying to find a cheap alternatives to Leatherman full size tools, and these happened to be on sale. If I am not wrong, they were the PowerAssist and Power Lock, both BO.

Anyway, I did some research on Amazon and found a few people mentioned the Phillips driver broke. Out of curiosity, I held the Phillips driver on one of the SOG with my thumb and index finger, and jiggled it back and forth to verify. Surely enough, the damn thing snapped in half with little effort. Needless to say, both went straight back to the Costco warehouse. I am pretty sure both had "USA" stamp on them. The pliers are nice, but the rest of the tool designs are not that impressive.

I have not touched another SOG multi since. I do like SOG knives though, especially those Japan-made models with VG-10 steel. I have the Stingrays, Toothlock, Pendulum, Bluto, and a fixed blade Gunny. Yeah, I have a thing for anything Japan.  :whistle:

fi Offline Padre

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:46:29 PM
Powerlock and assist both have some flex in the pliers, but they will last. The flex is smaller when there is actually something between the pliers. They are definetly stronger than they seem. Also many people report phillips drivers snapping but my phillips heads have took some abuse just fine. Some are better than others, just like with victorinox.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 03:59:16 PM
I've not broken one yet, but I did bend the Phillips in my SP2. My PPP and PL Phillips are still fine, though, and my PPP has been used quite a bit over the three years I've had it. The SP2 bent very early on after getting the tool. I think, like Padre said, it just sort o depends on the batch.

I have seen a couple coworkers with broken SOG Phillips drivers, though
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:00:28 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 08:38:42 PM
Powerlock and assist both have some flex in the pliers, but they will last. The flex is smaller when there is actually something between the pliers. They are definetly stronger than they seem. Also many people report phillips drivers snapping but my phillips heads have took some abuse just fine. Some are better than others, just like with victorinox.

The ONLY thing that gripes my butt about my 1st Gen POWERLOCK is the dad blasted...believe it or not...KNIFE BLADE!! :rant: I know RIGHT??

Boys, that thing was dull as a stick of butter and I'm sorry, needs a better knife steel quality for that appendage...HOW MANY non Spyderco type serrations does one need on a blade that short?

I would've preferred 2 blades of better steel quality, one non serrated.

All my SOG knives rock and always have served me well!
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44