Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

leatherman charge

robs12 · 20 · 2460

Offline robs12

• New User
leatherman charge
on: May 28, 2016, 08:18:48 PM
i own a leatherman wave for like a year now and i like it very much
i am thinking to buy a leatherman charge tti would you recommend me to buy the charge ?
thanks from the beginning 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: leatherman charge
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:54 PM
First welcome to the forum  :cheers:

If you are happy with the Wave you would probably like the Charge but a lot of folks think it's not worth the upcharge and some say it is not a comfortable in the hand.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:12:45 PM
The Charge is a little thicker.

I actually miss my Wave, carried it for almost a year on and off and recently switched to a Charge TI. The Charge is much easier to assemble/disassemble, but the Wave is easier in the pocket.

Not worth the upgrade IMO, i would move up to a Surge.

Unless you get a Camo Charge :D

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:50:58 PM
If you like the Wave and think of the Charge, try eBay to find the old Charge Ti. It is essentially a Wave with an upgraded main blade to 154CM steel. The old-style titanium scale offers more gripping with its texture, and definitely looks cool. The Charge Ti is the best Charge IMO.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:27:16 AM
In the dark, the Wave and Charge look almost exactly alike.  In fact, its hard to tell them apart. 

In the daylight, its not much different.  The Charge is basically a Wave with "Charge" engraved on it.  Its not quite that simple, but almost.

Functionally, they are essentially the same MT.  Depending on the Charge, you do get S30V blade steel, some titanium and a gut hook.  So you gotta decide if its worth the cost.  Though I do own two or three Charges because I have the sickness, I can't say its actually worth it.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:50:47 AM
I prefer the feel in the hand of the older Charge Ti handles, but probably not enough to justify changing from a wave (unless you find a Charge cheap).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline robs12

• New User
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:53:02 AM
thanks everybody :)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 06:33:08 AM
thanks everybody :)
What are you going with?! :D

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 11:37:30 AM
G'Day,

I'm a big Charge fan, so naturally I would say UPGRADE.  :D

As others have mentioned, look for an older model Ti. They are getting difficult to find, and if in good nick, pricey, but can be had. I also prefer the feel and look of the original model to the new one.

Pete

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 12:42:52 PM
I am thinking of buying an used Charge (or Wave) as my first Leatherman MT. Wave is a very nice MT, I have tried it on multiple occasions, but I like the Charge even more.

NIB in stores are horribly expensive here (IIRC Wave $160, Charge between $200 and $300, depending on the version).

I already have a SwissTool and I have a huge respect for that MT, but ever since I've tried carrying both the SwissTool and a larger OHO folding knife during my hiking and camping trips, I wish I had some kind of OHO blade on my MT, to eliminate the need for a dedicated folder. OK, I admit, on most of the hiking trips, the cutting tasks are minor and I could easily live only with the SwissTool blade, but again, OHO blades are awesome. I wish Victorinox made a SwissTool with the OHO blade. That would easily be the best MT ever.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 12:44:46 PM
P.S Awesome test-review of the Charge:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 05:58:22 PM
Regarding the Charge, this seller is selling old-scale, brand new Charge Tti like hot cake http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-830666-CHARGE-TTI-PREMIUM-19-IN-1-FULL-SIZE-TOOL-KIT-KNIFE-SHEATH-/401128239114 . Price is reasonable for a discontinued version. I mentioned Charge Ti because of it configuration. You can make your own Charge Ti by swapping components from Wave to the Charge frame. All you need is a pair of security torx bits (T10, if I am not mistaken).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 06:11:59 PM
Well, as Subterranean noted, depending on where you are the price difference might not be that big.

I prefer the Charge by a huge margin due to its more comfortable grip, to me its worth the price difference.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 06:29:01 PM
I don't think the upgrade price is worth it but I also don't care for the cap crimpers in the plier's head.  If you do want one, the TTi's have come down in price at least the ones I run across on Ebay.

You could look at the Ti as others have said or the Charge AL.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 08:12:44 PM
TTi isn't worth all that money, BUT it is better than Wave. I am carrying Wave at the moment myself, but have been thinking going back TTi.
It is sturdier. I like the feel better. Also I won't have to sharpen the knife blade all the time.

Still its pricey for the stuff you get.
Most of it comes to the cap grimper. If you need it, definetly try it, if not at all, forget it.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 07:48:18 AM
I already have a SwissTool and I have a huge respect for that MT, but ever since I've tried carrying both the SwissTool and a larger OHO folding knife during my hiking and camping trips, I wish I had some kind of OHO blade on my MT, to eliminate the need for a dedicated folder. OK, I admit, on most of the hiking trips, the cutting tasks are minor and I could easily live only with the SwissTool blade, but again, OHO blades are awesome. I wish Victorinox made a SwissTool with the OHO blade. That would easily be the best MT ever.

For camping, I usually add a 130 mm Ranger SAK with a saw. The large blade mostly comes in handy for culinary tasks (but some of them are OHO), and the large saw totally rocks.

With that onboard, I usually leave the Charge home and bring a Skeletool.

You could bring a Wenger RangerGrip 90 (if you can find one) and leave the MT home entirely.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:52:44 AM by AndyTiedye »
R

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 12:45:12 PM

For camping, I usually add a 130 mm Ranger SAK with a saw. The large blade mostly comes in handy for culinary tasks (but some of them are OHO), and the large saw totally rocks.

(Image removed from quote.)

You could bring a Wenger RangerGrip 90 (if you can find one) and leave the MT home entirely.

Don't they get super thick once you add the pliers? That's what stopping me from picking one up (not necessarily the 90 but any of the models with pliers).

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 11:20:20 PM

Yep, that might be the ticket. Those 130mm SAKs are very capable big boys. I wish they had a bit lower price, though  :oops:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 11:31:49 PM
Back to the Charges, these look mind-blowingly beautiful:

The prices are equally mind-blowing, though  :facepalm:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 03:09:06 AM
Back to the Charges, these look mind-blowingly beautiful:

The prices are equally mind-blowing, though  :facepalm:

Very pretty, but very very very expensive.  That is the same guy who made the original 25th Anniversary Charge with silver scales.  I wonder how many (if any) he will sell of the $40,000 Charge ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%