Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GoSun

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: GoSun
Reply #120 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:32 PM
I eat seafood...  :drool:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #121 on: August 23, 2016, 11:49:34 PM
  So, no bites on the cod eh? Good thing computers can't replicate smells and tastes or you'd all be licking your screens right about now. :rofl:

Schwan's Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Mango Chutney I'm in :drool: luv with this. :like:
  Premium, Large butterfly shrimp hand breaded with a crunchy sweet coconut crumb. Shrimp bake up crispy with just the right amount of sweet and savory flavor. Includes Pineapple Mango Chutney dipping sauce. And... I might add, Monster Zero Ultra compliments the flavours.

Preparation. Letting the GoSun Sport cool whilst also thawing the semi-frozen prawns. Had recently cooked Alaskan Cod and the oven needed time to cool so as not to get thermal shock (vacuum tube). Slid the tray of prawns in after 10 minutes, leaving a two inch gap on the handle end. Waited for about 20 minutes, closed it up and went outside to cook.

Had timer set for 40 minutes but I did not make allowances in time that the stove was already warm - so i should of shaved 10 minutes off. And got a call which interrupted me. - Oh, and the burn marks was my fault, I added some of the sauce over the top of each prawn. I assumed it was cooking sauce, not dipping sauce.

Now, does this make your mouth water or what? :drool:

This one shot had gotten a strange reflection to it, so I kept the photo perty much intact.

And a video of me checking the prawns outside. I put the cooker up the top of my subcompact wagon to cook. Keeps ground critters and most people away.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: August 23, 2016, 11:56:45 PM
 :drool: ... nah, the Flair makes me lose my apetite.  ;) :pommel:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #123 on: August 24, 2016, 01:06:22 AM
Come on, it's not THAT ugly!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: August 24, 2016, 08:44:20 AM
The best thing about the Flair is the discussions it has sparked.  :D

I generally love those weird and wonderful attempts at breaking new ground.

Reply #125 on: August 24, 2016, 09:19:09 AM
The best thing about the Flair is the discussions it has sparked.  :D

I generally love those weird and wonderful attempts at breaking new ground.

It's sort of hard to use a retired tool for what it's not supposed of be utilized for to break new ground - especially since it came out back when the Wave was introduced. For me I'm using it nearly very day, though hard to take photos without three arms/hands. It's my GoSun Sport cooking tool, along with the Martiinni Lynx for cutting chores.

What I'd like to see is the Rebar modified into a Flair-like tool, perhaps with an elongated oval spork of sorts.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: August 24, 2016, 08:54:18 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool:

Reply #127 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:05 PM
  A GoSun delveoper responded to me via Facebook email. Am impressed. :D

Quote from: Matt
I'm sorry for all the trouble. It may be easier for us to just send you a prepaid shipping label and a new stove rather than repair of the reflector as we have no spare reflectors lying around.

Let us know if you're interested in this option, and I'll send you a new stove this coming week.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #128 on: August 26, 2016, 01:00:50 AM
  GoSun is sending out a replacement today. Will be sending mine back next week. Hopefully I can get the MultiTool.org sticker off the one and onto the replacement, and the other stickers as well. Guess I can put them on wax paper?
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #129 on: August 26, 2016, 01:10:29 AM
  Candied Jalapeño Glazed Chicken

Friend makes this stuff called Candied Jalapeño Peppers. They are sweet, but loaded with spicy fire too. The excess glaze he's been putting on meat too, and word got around. Now he's selling the Candied Jalapeño Glaze.

Rob recommends marinating the chicken overnight in the fridge, but I wanted something to eat before work. Drove down to get some chicken breasts. Split one into three pieces. Sprayed the tray with Pam Baking spray, then sprinkled black pepper over the spray. Laid the chicken in. Cut up carrots, Adirondak purple & white potatoes, red onion. Poured the glaze over it all, and cooked for 50 minutes.

When the fire engine went by I thought they were coming to put out the fire in my mouth. :rofl: Is so good though! Yet powerful!! :drool:

Left to Right

Dished up

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:17:02 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: August 26, 2016, 10:18:21 AM
Using this smiley way too often, but that's the nature of this thread:  :drool:

Reply #131 on: August 28, 2016, 09:41:18 PM
  Candied Jalapeño Glazed Chicken, with a cup of dipping juice.  :drool:  And tomatoes, zucchini, purple potatoes, red onions.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #132 on: September 02, 2016, 12:07:59 AM
  The replacement showed up today. Will have to get the blow drier out after work so I can remove the MultiTool.Org sticker, and the other stickers, and transfer them to the other cooker's reflector.
¬ Outback in Idaho

england Offline Kev D

Reply #133 on: September 03, 2016, 05:59:11 PM
Are they going to give you feedback as to what caused the problem with the old one?

Reply #134 on: September 03, 2016, 10:30:21 PM
  Not sure.

Did read in the new owner's manual it said to use glass cleaner or mild soap on the reflectors. Others on the group discussion said no, only use water.

I had noticed when folding the reflectors up to carry indoors and the stand becomes the handle that perhaps reflected heat radiation could of caused it.

GoSun Community suggested was something in the food.

Could of been that the first one I got was an earlier model and didn't have all the refinements on it. The replacement looks better aesthetics wise.

GoSun said they would resell it in a scratch and dent sale at a Mother Earth convention coming up. Cost me $37 to send it back via UPS with $250 insurance & signature.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 10:31:25 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #135 on: September 06, 2016, 02:08:56 AM
  Replacement came in the other day. This one seems to cook slightly differently, though it still cooks it appeared the first cooked more moister this one slightly more drier. Then too it could be the chicken I bought, how I cooked the chicken, even how long I cooked it. Think this new one is gathering & absorbing more light , so it could be that it's the same it's more of me getting used to it. No two ovens are the same, same with anything ... and the first is usually the best one.

Aesthetically this one looks and performs better then the first, and the mount is more precise and rigid. Vacuum tube and seal wise ... unless there is a break-in period, the first one I had was better. Then took I had cooked with it a few months so it was probably more broken in.

Frontal shot from driveway

Rear view from driveway

Reflective selfy  :)

Side shot with experimental positioning-wire (slip-on)

Comparing to the first...  :cry:

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #136 on: September 06, 2016, 03:35:00 AM
Glad to see the replacement got there safe and sound!

I was wondering the other day- can you boil water in this?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #137 on: September 06, 2016, 03:53:40 AM
Glad to see the replacement got there safe and sound!

I was wondering the other day- can you boil water in this?

Def

Supposedly you can when the water temperature and the tube start out the same, but the manufacturer says not to do it without the Brew insert.

Brew insert is supposed to debut this Fall. No idea what it looks like or the cost as of yet.
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #138 on: September 07, 2016, 03:12:56 PM
I was thinking of this as a longer term solution, away from a power source for a while.  I realize that the stove itself doesn't need power, but having fresh food to cook in it either means obtaining it constantly or some kind of storage method.  Without power, refrigeration is out, at least longer term.  You might manage with a cooler or something, but for more than a few days, or a week at most, you will need another solution.

This got me back to the freeze dried meals like the Mountain House ones, which don't require cooking so much as they require boiling water, which is why I ask.  Plus I would think that as a basic survival mechanism, the ability to boil water would be a basic requirement for any stove.

I am still very much intrigued by this stove, and I am looking forward to whatever this Brew insert is, but I wonder about the effectiveness of a stove that doesn't perform the most basic of camp tasks?

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: September 07, 2016, 06:55:12 PM
If you have access to plenty of water, another way to store food without access to refrigeration is of course salt. Not something I would bother with on a camping trip, but a good technique nonetheless.

Still, cooking water is the most important use of a heat source when out and about, so I think the Brew Insert will make the GoSun very much more useful.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #140 on: September 07, 2016, 07:13:07 PM
Glad the replacement got there Oii :cheers: This has been a very informative and interesting thread to follow :salute:

:like:

Reply #141 on: September 08, 2016, 12:24:59 AM
   :whistle:

¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #142 on: September 08, 2016, 02:38:11 AM
   :whistle:

I suppose that method makes sense for the freeze dried meals.  I think I would really like to try doing it that way.

Def

Reply #143 on: September 08, 2016, 07:02:29 AM
  Did YouTube links get broken? :twak:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Wire-Alignment Tool ~ A Design In Progress
Reply #144 on: September 09, 2016, 07:02:44 AM
  My Wire-Alignment Tool - It's not pretty but it works very well for me. This was done on-the-fly one day to see if it worked. When I have time to be creative I might use an aluminum wire, a mount, and a velcro strap for the handle. Input is welcomed.

Steps and photos as follows:

• Cut some bailing wire, about 8 inches long.

• Bent it in an oval/semi-circular shape. This is so the wire holds onto the handle well. Bent the wire in an L shape, and put a small loop on the end as opposed to filing it down. As I said, this was some idea that popped into my head and wanted to see if it worked - and it does very well.

To Use:

• Align the wire perpendicular to the reflectors, out from the center of the handle.
 • The main vertical wire acts as a sundial so to speak, allowing alignment from the ground to the vertical axis of the Sun. Easy stuff there.

• Then I position the horizontal part of the L wire perpendicular to the handle, so the wire protrudes over the top of the handle near center.

What this does is two things:
 • Allows one to adjust the GoSun Sport hinge to keep the sun dead center on the reflectors
 • And the wire acts as a Solar Timer. As the sun moves across the horizon the shadow will move across the handle. As such you would adjust the hinge and/or the placement of the GoSun Stove reflectors in relation to the sun.

This photo shows the GoSun Sport in alignment to the sun for maximum efficiency. All with the help from an 8 inch piece of bailing wire and a Leatherman multitool.  :D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:06:29 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: September 09, 2016, 09:52:11 AM
That's an elegant idea.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #146 on: September 09, 2016, 12:06:03 PM
The next model of GoSun stove will be 30% more expensive and have a wire like that installed at the factory and graduated lines along the handle but otherwise be exactly the same!

Def

Reply #147 on: September 09, 2016, 06:31:02 PM
  Interesting, Home Depot has these on sale for $199 online till 9/11

Actually the GoSun Grill is the next to debut, probably end of next month. That's $600 though.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:43:30 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Advertising Stickers aka Bug Deflectors
Reply #148 on: September 13, 2016, 01:40:01 PM
  Ruger's bug deflectors were the first to arrive.  :D

Have to order some from The Boomerang Man yet...

Nothing from Duluth Packs or Chako yet.

Oh, I cooked prawns and cod again today. Mmmm, that stuff is soooo goood.  :drool:
  Going to try quinoa and chicken today I think. Have a Thai curry quinoa mix I'm planning on trying. Sun has changed pathing and is getting trickier to cook with. Soon as it's 3 o'lock that ol' Sun gets to hauling over the horizon till the evening ... then it slowly meanders down. There's no clear shot to the sun for me unless I cook out in the back, or I have to cook earlier. Guess I could drive across the street and cool in the field too. Hmm...  :think:

Ordered another tray. Maybe can cook some veggies, or make some desert while eating.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #149 on: September 14, 2016, 12:02:01 AM
  Got :MTO: stickers from Sean in today! :mail:

Ordered Boomerang Man stickers last night. Don't have any Leatherman stickers... that big black one was ugly anyhow. Chako... wru? Not Chaco, the sandals people. Was some Aussie stickers too! :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%