Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mr. Pinchy--how easy is it to get pinched?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Mr. Pinchy--how easy is it to get pinched?
on: May 29, 2016, 12:44:34 AM
I keep hearing that the Multiplier was dubbed the "Mr. Pinchy" because of it's propensity to pinch the user. 

How easy it is to get pinched with one?

A Mr. Pinchy/Multiplier checks all the boxes for me, and thus will the the next Gerber I'll be buying.  Good Simmonds file, good tool density, normal shape blades, tough blunt nose pliers, cheap price used ($20 in well used condition) and best of all--no locking mechanism!   Multitools, for the most part, have the most fussy locking mechanisms.  They can't be closed one-handed, which is more important to me than one-hand opening.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Mr. Pinchy--how easy is it to get pinched?
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:24:45 AM
Easy enough that it was named Mr. Pinchy  ;)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 01:30:11 AM
Easy enough that it was named Mr. Pinchy  ;)

:D Several years ago someone did a search and found that I was the first one to call those tools Mr. Pinchy. I'm pretty sure I was.  Mr. Pinchy was the name of Homer's pet lobster on The Simpsons, and I had a hermit crab by the same name... Still, it's appropriate for the tool.  My first got me within five minutes...... :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:48:23 AM
I too have been pinched (and got a blood blister to prove it).  From my usage of the tool it will only pinch you if the handles close suddenly with force being applied, eg when cutting wire, or if they slip off something you are gripping hard with the pliers.  No problems with pinching when using the minor components (blades, drivers, file etc). 

So I guess you can make up your own mind as to whether that is a big problem for you or not.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:34:44 AM
I only had one for a few days and managed to get pinched while cleaning the thing up.  :oops:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 03:27:49 PM
I got my first one and within a few moments my roommate managed to pinch herself  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:16 PM
I've never been pinched by a Gerber, but have been pinched by other MTs.  Its just the nature of any mechanical device with folding implements - there is always the risk of pinchiness.  I don't find the Gerbers to be worse than any others.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 05:43:23 PM
What are all you people doing wrong? :ahhh

I've never managed to pinch myself with a Multiplier nor any other Gerber.  In fact I think the only MT I've pinched myself with is a Wave.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 01:46:06 PM
Guess I´m clumsy. Mr Pinchy bite me in the first few minutes. But in all fairness I have been bit by several other non gerbers to.
But by far most of Mr Pinchy. But Mr Pinchy was also the mt I´v been using for the longest time.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 02:23:02 PM
I have the same story as others here, I pinched myself within an hour of owning mine.  The jaws slipped off a bolt I was grabbing with it, same as every other time it pinched me(which was a lot).

Cutting hangers and heavy wire with it will do the same thing if you're not paying attention, I've done that a lot too.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 02:41:11 AM
Mine bit me pretty quick when I got it back in the 90's.....I learned pretty quick to be Careful
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 05:00:03 AM
Mine bit me pretty quick when I got it back in the 90's.....I learned pretty quick to be Careful

Dtrain, good to see you around!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
Yep, it can happen and it hurts when it does!     :oops:

On the other hand, once you know it can happen, you pay a bit more attention and wolaa, you find out it's a great tool!  Been using my original MP for years sailing/racing with no problems.  Most of the conditions where I'm using the MP are fast paced, but it's never been a problem and the "flick-of-the-wrist" opening is fantastic!  Wouldn't trade it for any other pliers-based MT in my sail bag.   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 07:28:01 PM

Dtrain, good to see you around!
                                               Thanks!
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 09:15:42 PM

I've never managed to pinch myself with a Multiplier nor any other Gerber.  In fact I think the only MT I've pinched myself with is a Wave.

You know Gareth, you mentioned that about the Wave a year or two ago.  When I got my first Wave last fall, I actually played with it with your previous comment in mind.  Yeah, the Wave can bite you, but since you had called that out, I was ready for it...thanks.  :hatsoff:

However, the original Gerber multi-tool is more prone to doing it than the Wave on simpler tasks...it just pays to be attentive!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 12:05:43 AM

You know Gareth, you mentioned that about the Wave a year or two ago.  When I got my first Wave last fall, I actually played with it with your previous comment in mind.  Yeah, the Wave can bite you, but since you had called that out, I was ready for it...thanks.  :hatsoff:

However, the original Gerber multi-tool is more prone to doing it than the Wave on simpler tasks...it just pays to be attentive!

Glad my pain helped someone. :D  I agree about the awareness.  It's entirely possible that I've avoided hurting myself with the Multiplier because I knew it's reputation before I owned one. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 03:54:06 AM
Admit it, Gareth - you bought chain mail gauntlets after you won that Carolina from me years back......  :pok:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%