Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Search for LM EDC

temo · 14 · 1605

fi Offline temo

Search for LM EDC
on: May 29, 2016, 01:41:16 PM
Seems there is no one perfect tool but that does not stop to search for one. Have quite many multitools already and I am quite happy with all of those. But why thinking could there still be one even better available? Maybe, maybe not. There are many things to consider with multitools. Most important carry and amount of useful tools. And multipurpose of tools. I have already great multitools I am very happy with. Mostly vic spirit and leatherman st 300. As well juice XE6. Those I've used a lot during the years. But all are a bit heavy for edc. Most carried edc have been squirt. That is quite perfect keychain size tool. And quite recent vic pioneer alox have been as pocket tool quite much always. Still I use larger tools around home a lot but do not carry always.

So noticed I can pocket carry about 50-150 gram tools and not too bulky. Sure carry larger tools no issue but I just don't do that every day. Example juice xe6 is just slightly too big. Even great example for picnic trips to carry. Scissors are not the strongest point in juixe so was thinking C2 model could be one solution for EDC. Other a bit bigger would be skeletool (cx). Signal would be great but that is slightly oversized I could think. Though without removable accessories I think difference between skeletool is not huge. Most important tools are maybe knife and philips. Awl is a plus as well flat. But often with tools having philips has also a flat. So pioneer alox is almost perfection as driver does handle bigger philips okay enough. Juice c2 would bring some additional tools and still in good pocket size.

Also LM crater with screw drivers would be interesting. I have plain knife version though have not used it (was package deal with ST). Knife seems fine though I rarely use plain knife or carry plain knife. So as summary:

Current edc squirt (with keys) and pioneer alox. Possibilities:
- Juice C2
- Skeletool CX
- Signal (probably too large)
- Rebar (probably too large)
- Crater with screw drivers

And qualification philips, knife, extras as bonus. Weight around 100g. Max 200g but light weight bonus. Lenght close to 10cm. LM mini looks nice as well but that is quite much off the market.

So this is only me wondering my perfect edc. If some day I decide I need one more.. Also I have looked other brands like sog and gerber. But often good tools are slightly too big for my edc search. And again vic pioneer alox is quite old design so I just wonder is that the best edc still today (again for me, many might have different needs).

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Search for LM EDC
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:50:05 PM
Loving my Skeletool CX. My fave Leatherman.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

fi Offline temo

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:28:46 PM
Yes I think skeletool is strong option. Crater with bit driver also but don't get those anywhere:

I like LM bit driver but mostly it is available only in large tools. Skeletool is maybe only small enough at the moment that is available.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:53:56 PM
PST II. Tough build, compact size great tool selection, and a weight of only five ounces (roughly 142 grams). Length around four inches (eight centimeters). I shortly had a Skeletool, but traded it because it just didn't have enough, while weighing the same as the PST II.   Plus, the pliers aren't as tough as on the PST II.  I ended up trading it to my grandfather for a Case electrician's knife.     

Mini Tool is also a great option as well if you have an SAK that has all the stuff (Ranger/Master Craftsman and above) you need but good-sized pliers.   I'm looking at getting one too, but I can buy a new Squirt for what people want for beat up Mini Tools.  I mean, come on, it was available almost as long as the PST!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:55:47 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:53:35 PM
Join the club, a lot of us are searching for that perfect ( for us) EDC
Been close, or thought I was close, a couple of times, but something was either too heavy, over kill, redundant, etc. 

This probably won't help you much, but

It sounds like your Squirt/Pioneer EDC is just about right for you.
Size and weight with enough tools for most daily issues.
You might keep the Squirt, and think other possible SAK models until
this dark period of deep searching passes.  http://forum.multitool.org/Smileys/default/wink.gif

Why isn't my winking smiley face appearing?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:55:57 PM by Marcellus »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:43:05 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:37 AM
Skeletool CX has become my favorite EDC.
As a plus you can get a bit extender for it.

fi Offline temo

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:57:42 PM

PST II. Tough build, compact size great tool selection, and a weight of only five ounces (roughly 142 grams).

That is nice though a bit hard to find. And yes I keep heavier ST300, that is a bit like pst on stereoids. PST would be more pocket carry friendly. Though at home st is nice due the large size.

fi Offline temo

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 12:20:21 AM

It sounds like your Squirt/Pioneer EDC is just about right for you.
Size and weight with enough tools for most daily issues.

You are quite right there :) Mostly I think I look just some use to LM bit set.. I gave my wave away years ago and don't have fixed driver for LM bits. Anyway bits are mostly for small screws so on my opinion best driver for bit set could be light and maybe even pocket carry tool. Maybe other solution could be give away bit set and be happy :) Anyway I like to use fixed drivers more. And again I don't edc bit sets so maybe just did think that could edc driver with couple bits and carry set when needed. That is main reason did think skeletool. Or crater.

But good options for edc. And yes I am very happy with current set so to change that is not fast project.. But maybe now did clarify to myself that edc is fine, looking light LM that has fixed bit adapter. Or loose LM bits..

fi Offline temo

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:07 AM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 04:10:47 AM
Can't go wrong with a Crater C33t or tx. The bit kit fits it as well. I carry a LM Crunch with either a Crater or Victorinox Soldier with no complaints.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 06:41:49 AM
I'll agree the Skeletool is a nice EDC option. And it pairs very well with just about any SAK with scissors.  You know, like the :climber:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 06:52:18 AM
I hosted challenges for both Squirt and Skeletool, they are both fine EDC tools, you can look them up in Leatherman section.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

fi Offline temo

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:47:06 PM
Tx. Yes I can't loose reamer from edc and I have to say pioneer has best one I have used. There would be one in signal though.. But again size starts to grow. So maybe one option would be pioneer and skeletool. Or signal and squirt. Also while thinking did think rebar as well. Often get ST300 when need to do stuff. Though I doubt rebar pocket carry and with belt carry I am okay with ST300 size. Price difference between signal and skeletool cx here is only 10€ currently. So I might keep pioneer and squirt still and be strong :) If some day get a good deal from skeltool cx maybe get one and try out. Signal on the other hand could try as edc, that has most important stuff for my use and pliers could be heavy duty enough. Crater with bit driver I did read that driver does not lock so kind of dropped that option (and bit driver version hard to find).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%