Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whisperlite.... something. What have I got?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Whisperlite.... something. What have I got?
on: May 30, 2016, 05:16:54 PM
Megan seems to think that since I have a Coleman two burner propane stove, a SVEA Optima 123, a Mini Trangia and a Bio Lite that I have a thing for outdoor stoves.  So, when she was at a flea market over the weekend she picked up this MSR Whisperlite stove for me.  I was suitably thrilled when I saw it, and even more so when I heard that she had spent a whopping $5 on it!

I'm not overly familiar with these stoves so I did a bit of looking online.  I believe all of the pieces are there, so I wanted to find out what kind of flaming liquid I would need to feed it, so on to the interwebs I went- first to the MSR site where my excitement turned to conundrum.

You see, the box for this particular unit (included with it, along with the original instruction manual) states that this unit is the Whisperlite International, but according to MSR the International version (among other things) features:

Lighter & Stable: Stamped stainless steel legs offer excellent stability and low weight.

Mine doesn't have stamped steel legs, mine has the twisted steel legs as seen on the original:

The difference between the original and the International seems to extend to more than the legs- the International version runs on white gas or kerosene, while the original just uses white gas.  This probably won't ever be an issue for me, as I will probably only ever feed it white gas (Naptha, Coleman Stove Fuel etc) since that's what I have for the SVEA Optima 123 already.

Still, the original literature says it's the International version, has instructions for both types of fuel and shows the wire legs in the illustrations.

Does this mean that I have an earlier International from before they changed to stamper steel legs?  If so, how long ago was that done?

Furthermore, am I missing any pieces?  I think I have everything, but I have actually never used one of these before.

Lastly, since this is a multitool forum I made sure to single out the MSR multitool that came with it for everyone's viewing pleasure.  :D

Any info would be helpful.... and awesome!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: Whisperlite.... something. What have I got?
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:07:44 PM
that looks like the one i have, which is about . . . . maybe 18 or 19 years old ? Far as i know, the jet needs to be replaced if you're going to burn parafin(kerosense) - something i've never done as i only use the colemans white fuel or equivalent.

The manual for mine says it is the whisperlite international 600.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:09:16 PM
oh, and great find for $5, bigtime !
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 08:38:42 PM
oh, and great find for $5, bigtime !

Yes indeed.  I am very happy she found it.  It seems like it is going to be an excellent little stove and I really look forward to giving it a shot and seeing how it compares to the other stoves that i seem to be accumulating.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 09:12:35 PM
I agree, it looks like an older Whisperlite International. $5 is a steal!

While gas (Coleman fuel/Naphta/Shellite) is the cleanest burning fuel. Unleaded Automotive gasoline will work fine, but will smell more and creates more soot during warmup. Kerosene/Diesel fuel requires a jet change and is smelly and rather dirty. Avoid it if possible. You will find that it is a quiet stove, about the same volume as a Coleman. Priming and initial warmup can be dramatic if one is not careful and quick. Many carry a small bottle of alcohol for priming, or a priming paste. I just get myself organized, have a butane BBQ lighter in place, and light the stove as soon as I see/hear fuel come out the jet. This prevents the fireball some people experience.

Simmering is the weakness of this stove. The trick is to reduce the pressure in the fuel bottle. I do this by bringing the pot to a boil then shutting off the stove. When the stove is extinguished, elevate the pump end of the fuel bottle, slightly loosen the pump to release pressure, tighten and then give the pump 3 or 4 strokes. Relight the stove and simmer away. You may have to occasionally give the bottle a pump to maintain the minimal pressure while simmering.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 09:19:05 PM
Sweet find  :tu: now you need it's gassy brother...the Rapidfire

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 10:10:00 PM
I like the tool.
What would you need the stove with all the coniferous trees up there?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 10:42:56 PM
I agree, it looks like an older Whisperlite International. $5 is a steal!

While gas (Coleman fuel/Naphta/Shellite) is the cleanest burning fuel. Unleaded Automotive gasoline will work fine, but will smell more and creates more soot during warmup. Kerosene/Diesel fuel requires a jet change and is smelly and rather dirty. Avoid it if possible. You will find that it is a quiet stove, about the same volume as a Coleman. Priming and initial warmup can be dramatic if one is not careful and quick. Many carry a small bottle of alcohol for priming, or a priming paste. I just get myself organized, have a butane BBQ lighter in place, and light the stove as soon as I see/hear fuel come out the jet. This prevents the fireball some people experience.

Simmering is the weakness of this stove. The trick is to reduce the pressure in the fuel bottle. I do this by bringing the pot to a boil then shutting off the stove. When the stove is extinguished, elevate the pump end of the fuel bottle, slightly loosen the pump to release pressure, tighten and then give the pump 3 or 4 strokes. Relight the stove and simmer away. You may have to occasionally give the bottle a pump to maintain the minimal pressure while simmering.

Thanks.  In my limited research on this stove so far no one seems to have been able to suggest much more than holding the pot or pan an inch or two above the flames.

I like the tool.
What would you need the stove with all the coniferous trees up there?

Did you miss the threads about the large portion of my country that is currently on fire?  :P

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:45:25 PM
No. But you bought stoves before that. Is it still burning? We have no updates about it here.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 10:54:45 PM

Thanks.  In my limited research on this stove so far no one seems to have been able to suggest much more than holding the pot or pan an inch or two above the flames.

Def

It's not s perfect solution, but the best I've tried. I'm no gourmet camp chef, but I do like to eat better than freeze dried or "boil in the bag" foods.

I recently made a "simmer plate" out of 5mm thick aluminum. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, so I can't say how well it will work. I'm trying to not get my hopes up because I hate being disappointed.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:28:27 PM
No. But you bought stoves before that. Is it still burning? We have no updates about it here.

Yeah, it's not sexy and new so no one cares.

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 11:31:47 PM
It happened here a lot of times, in another scale. Brings bad memories.
Now I think of it, using a stove might prevent accidental fires, provided it doesn't explode. They are popular here also and they make the best Greek/Turkish/Arab etc coffee.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 11:43:59 PM
Its a great stove I have 2 myself.  I believe both are internationals as well.  Mine came with the grey pump like yours.  I wanted to switch to the newer red pump but one is working good so for now I wont invest anymore into it.

I have 2 MSR fuel bottles that are terrific.  The stove isn't something that will simmer but I have seen some interesting attempts.  One thing for sure is it can be a little nerve racking having a fire going with a pressurized bottle of fuel right next to it. 

https://youtu.be/vP03cJ5hNfE
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 03:16:45 AM
I always thought the braided line seemed a little short on these, but I haven't come across any stories of exploding bottles..... although maybe that's because no one was able to blog about it afterwards?

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 06:51:47 AM
I've run mine red hot and am always surprised these things have no reported fires or explosions. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 07:31:06 AM
I always thought the braided line seemed a little short on these, but I haven't come across any stories of exploding bottles..... although maybe that's because no one was able to blog about it afterwards?

Def

:rofl:
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 09:53:04 PM
I was at Mountain Equipment Co-Op today looking for something else and ended up getting a fuel bottle.  They had the MSR ones, but the small MSR one cost about the same as the larger Primus bottle.  Plus I like the olive drab color better.  :D

http://www.mec.ca/product/5043-881/primus-fuel-bottle-1l/?q=primus%2Bbottle

Now I just need to get some fuel and give it a shot.  :D

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:57 AM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 12:04:38 AM
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:46 AM
Thanks for the videos.  I have cleaned it up pretty good, but I should probably watch the videos and make sure I didn't miss anything.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 02:58:15 AM
They really helped me when I first got mine.  I couldn't get mine lit at first till I gave it a clean and cleared the jet.  I also made some of the mistakes shown in the last video. 

Mine doesn't have the shaker jet and it was clogged up.  I used that tool with the wire sticking out you show on your laptop.  The multitool you also show is pretty neat and can handle everything on the stove. 

My stove was well used and not in quite the condition yours is in.  These stoves are beasts and have been around now about 30 years.

Heres a neat link to more info.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/03/stove-of-week-msr-whisperlite-pre.html
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 03:34:43 AM
Lots of good info there.  I'll have to check it out when I have less wine in me. ...

Def

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 04:02:12 PM
I was at Mountain Equipment Co-Op today looking for something else and ended up getting a fuel bottle.  They had the MSR ones, but the small MSR one cost about the same as the larger Primus bottle.  Plus I like the olive drab color better.  :D

http://www.mec.ca/product/5043-881/primus-fuel-bottle-1l/?q=primus%2Bbottle

Now I just need to get some fuel and give it a shot.  :D

Def
Keep the receipt! I haven't tried them personally, but have read that the threads are different between Primus and MSR bottles.

For safety reasons, I prefer the gasoline containers I carry to be red, just like other gas cans. I gave up olive drab after my military aspirations were crushed by reality...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 06:41:21 PM
The plunger seems to fit in it fine.  MEC has a great return policy,  so if it's a problem I'll take it back.

I haven't tried fuel in it,  but it seemed to pressurize well enough.

Def

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:33 PM
Awesome find for $5, well done Megan!

If you shake it you'll know if it has the shaker needle or not. Given your first photo shows a jet cleaning needle I'd say probably not. The stamped legs are something relatively new, I'd say even within the last 5 years. I have had my Interationale for maybe 13-15 years. The pump on mine looks the same as yours but is red and grey and has a brass tap, I think. A mate of mine has the newer pump from about 10 years ago with the folding tap handle you can see in the video Aloha has put up. He also has the ground reflector aluminium sheet whereas mine has the hole in the centre and gets installed in the middle portion of the stove before unfolding the legs.

I'm sure that MSR will always say don't use anyone else's bottles so they can sell theirs. If it doesn't leak and feels solid it will probably be fine. I ended up with a SIG bottle to carry my extra fuel and the medium MSR bottle to run the stove, though I could have just got the small one. Bigger the bottle means more air as you consume fuel and more pumping needed to keep that roar

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 12:32:01 AM
Thanks for the tips.  I was wondering about the pressure issue.   The hose is pretty short so I wondered how that could happen without upsetting lunch.

Def

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 06:42:51 PM

Great find  :tu:  This is a very popular stove. I've got one that is over 15 years old and have had zero issues and never thought of replacing it because it just works under any condition and fuel can be found easily. With a kid around I finally got a Jetboil because it is safer but I like the Whisperlite better because I like fiddling with gear and am never in a hurry when out camping.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 05:37:16 AM
Thanks for the tips.  I was wondering about the pressure issue.   The hose is pretty short so I wondered how that could happen without upsetting lunch.

Def

Depends how you are using the stove. If you pump it up so you get a fast boil then you don't need to touch it. If wanting to simmer and give it a pump or two every now and again then keeping a firm hold of the bottle is required.

Also, wet the fuel line end before inserting it into the pump with some saliva to avoid mincing the o-ring, but I'm sure it says this in the instruction book

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #28 on: June 04, 2016, 05:09:09 PM
Mine is a standard Whisperlite later converted to shakerjet. Until I find the holy grail of MSR accessories...the Espresso Star...I'm using a stovetop gas ring reducer.
ilsa_ring01.jpg
* ilsa_ring01.jpg (Filesize: 35.79 KB)
ilsa_ring02.jpg
* ilsa_ring02.jpg (Filesize: 35.73 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #29 on: June 04, 2016, 05:39:35 PM
You're going to want the tool spoon too...  :pok:
msr_tool01.jpg
* msr_tool01.jpg (Filesize: 86.24 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62