Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whisperlite.... something. What have I got?

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Re: Whisperlite.... something. What have I got?
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2016, 06:00:59 PM
I have an even earlier WhisperLite, mine is 29 years old, and pretty heavily used(many months of full-time camping/bicycle touring). Except for replacing the o-rings once, it continues to work perfectly. Mine doesn't even have the braided fuel line.....it looks like fabric.
Simmering is best with a fairly empty fuel tank, and just 3 or 4 pumps worth of pressure. A good windscreen helps achieve a consistent simmer too.
MSR will sell/give you a spare/2nd fuel jet, you can get a full rebuild kit for them there too, but I found all the necessary O-rings at an auto parts store. Gasoline resistant O-rings are necessary as they sit in fuel, and a good hardware store will have the leather pump washer/cup.
The plastic pump body is the most fragile item on the stove, but with some care seemingly will last for a lifetime.
Bet you could perform a complete field strip of the stove with just a Leatherman PS4 (don't round off the fuel jet though  ;)  )
Have fond memories making a Pizza with mine, in Golden Gate Park, about 20 years ago. Also a triple-layer Chocolate Birthday cake (at 8000 ft up on the Pacific Crest Trail).......both using a Back Country Bake oven.
http://www.amazon.com/Backpackers-Pantry-Outback-Oven-10/dp/B002J91QG2
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:05:48 PM by neillcurrie »

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 09:45:06 AM
Mine is a standard Whisperlite later converted to shakerjet. Until I find the holy grail of MSR accessories...the Espresso Star...I'm using a stovetop gas ring reducer.

What is this "Espresso Star" you speak of?

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 03:13:51 AM
Mine is a standard Whisperlite later converted to shakerjet. Until I find the holy grail of MSR accessories...the Espresso Star...I'm using a stovetop gas ring reducer.

An adapter that spans the center of a Whisperlite for small diameter vessels - http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/02/msr-espresso-star.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 04:44:47 AM
You're going to want the tool spoon too...  :pok:

Of course I will need to acquire the tool spoon as well, but I have to ask- does it have any specific tools that aren't on something like the Eat'n Tool?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:10 AM
You're going to want the tool spoon too...  :pok:

Of course I will need to acquire the tool spoon as well, but I have to ask- does it have any specific tools that aren't on something like the Eat'n Tool?

Def

If the Eat'n tool doesn't have a hole to grab the fuel line cable then, yes. And I'm not sure of the jet wrench size.

An adapter that spans the center of a Whisperlite for small diameter vessels - http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/02/msr-espresso-star.html

Ah, I wonder why they didn't market it as an all purpose device, rather than calling it Espresso Star?

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 04:27:19 PM
I recall that the star came out when MSR started selling their stripped down Moka pots. I wasn't in to that style of coffee at the time, so I never considered buying one.

The tool spoon is not really needed as there is already the combo too...just another gadgety thing to have. The stainless ones are inexpensive, so why not?  :D It is a nice spoon, but it baffles me why they did not go with a spork.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 07:02:11 PM
I was wondering about that myself... a spork seems to make more sense.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 10:34:17 PM
I was wondering about that myself... a spork seems to make more sense.

Def

Coleman makes a spork tool for their Fyrestorm stoves. I'm tempted to get one just because...not really interested in the stove.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:36:10 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 08:15:44 PM
Despite having numerous stoves, I am not a stove collector or indeed, much of an enthusiast.  I appreciate them for what they are, the innovative functions that go into them and so on, but I'm not a specific collector.

And even I would want tool sporks to go to stoves I don't have.... hell, I just bought two kayak tools for boats I'll never get!

I feel your pain!  :D

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #39 on: June 08, 2016, 09:53:12 PM
If I buy that Coleman Spork...I'll probably end up with the stove... ::) :ahhh

Thinking about sporkifying one of those MSR spoons  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 09:57:16 PM
Of course you will... that's how they get you!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 12:55:29 AM
Today Megan and I went to a local beach, and while there we gave the Whisper lite its first try.  It took a bit to get it lit as the wind was blowing pretty good, but once it was lit it did a great job.  It boiled a liter of water in a very reasonable amount of time and I managed to boil a few hot dogs with no trouble at all.

My only concern was the bottle, which seemed awfully close to the fire, and despite being upwind it seemed to heat up a lot.

But, it burned away for a while without exploding, so I guess that's about normal?

Sorry, no pictures as my phone was left in the Jeep, but I assure you my eyebrows are safe!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 01:39:30 AM
No I don't have one of those.   I got this thing for $5 so I'm surprised at the number of pieces that were included!

I guess I should get one though.  It would come in handy for a variety of stoves I seem to have accumulated.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 02:15:32 AM
A much cheaper way to get one to make your own - http://www.partycity.com/product/aluminum+steam+lid+20in+x+12in.do?kwid=aluminum%20full%20steam%20pan%20lid&qcid=&ref=ci&extcmp=pla%7CGoogle

They are cheap enough to make a customized one for every stove you have.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 02:37:49 AM
Nice that you got to give the stove a work out.  Wicked stove isn't it?

No matter how many times I use my Whisperlite I am a little freaked out.  The bottle just seem so freaking close to the open flame.  I have the wind screen so mine doesn't get "hot" but still a bit unnerving.  On a similar note my Coleman stove fuel tank is even closer to the open flame.  Sure theres is a piece of metal separatiing the two but still unsettles me.  BTW I always have a small fire extinguisher handy when I use my stoves.  It won't help much if the fuel containers explode but it makes me feel better.     
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 02:55:06 AM
I imagine I will feel a lot better with a windscreen....   I'll have a look at that link and see what I can manage.

When it comes to the inimitable skillz of the Spork master everything seems easy, but to the average three thumbed Canadian it might be a totally different story!  :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%