Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Accidental score

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Accidental score
on: May 30, 2016, 11:25:20 PM
While searching on Kijijijiji (Canadian equivalent to Craigslist) I found a guy selling two different kayak tools.  Since I'm really interested in tools and kayaks I thought I'd give him a call and see if they were still available.  Meanwhile I started doing some research on them.

Vespoli Cox'n tool

Wintech Racing Wrench

I'm hoping to pick them up this evening.  Anyone ever heard of them?  I haven't, but then these appear to be for racing boats and I'm more of a recreational/touring kayaker.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Accidental score
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:39 PM
And I got them! 

Vespoli Cox'n Wrench:

It's actually quite thick and heavy.  I'd say it's close to 1/4 inch thick and features a 3/4 inch wrench, a 7/16th inch wrench, a 5/8th wrench, a lanyard hole and a slot for use on wingnuts.  I'm not sure why it is so thick and heavy, I can only assume that Vespoli boats are comples and need a lot of heavy fiddling.

Vespoli boats are indeed a different world from the type of kayaking I do.  I used to live near a few boat clubs that had these types of boats (not sure what brands mind you), so I have seen them in operation, and they are fine pieces of equipment.  I am more into recreational kayaking, and mine doesn't have any fancy adjustable bits that require tool use.

The Wintech Racing Wrench is a bit different.  First off, it's only about half as thick as the Cox'n Tool.

The Wintech tool has a few more wrenches in it, and they are all nicely labelled:

7/16
3/4
1/2
3/8

It also features a notch for a wingnut like the Vespoli, and it also has a flathead sticking out one end and the most important feature ever on a multitool, a bottle opener.  It also has a tube nut slot, and I will comment more on that should I ever figure out what the hell a tube nut slot does.  unit then I will skip over any jokes on it's name, and assume it works well enough.

I compared all of the cutouts of both tools with my wrench set (I can't find my calipers after the move) and they all seem to be quite accurate, which I suppose is fitting for boats that look more like spacecraft than watercraft:

I'm sure both of these tools would be handy, not only for the boats they are designed to be used with, but also for a certain number of EDC type needs.  At least, I can see them handling at least as well as many other OPT's, as the wrench selections on most OPT's seems more or less arbitrary.

One thing that I have noticed on these, that I would like to see on more multitools is the wing nut slots.  I suppose they aren't really necessary on many tools as the folding pliers or wrench slots would function well enough, but then I can honestly say I have never felt the need to use the O2 wrench found on so many OPT's.  And, I would make a comment on how often I encounter wingnuts on a daily basis, but that might end up sounding a bit derogatory.

I am pretty certain if I had a boat from either Vespoli or Wintech I'd be happy enough to spend the extra ten dollars (barely a drop in the bucket compared to the multi-thousand dollar boats) and I'd probably carry it and use it every chance I got so that I could show off that I had one....

The up side of course is that either of these would be fairly useful to anyone who dealt with mechanical equipment on a regular basis.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:20:27 PM
They also strike me as being reasonably priced for a machine cut piece of steel. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline abcdef

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:48:54 PM
Both look interesting.  Do you know the length of each? 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 04:00:27 AM
I'm measure them tomorrow and let you know.  They aren't much bigger than most other OPT's.

Def

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:56 AM
They also strike me as being reasonably priced for a machine cut piece of steel. :)

That... my mind steel can't fathom why would someone pay more than a couple of dollars for a caplifter/wrench bit of metal... no gears, no mechanisms, no sharpening, no handles, no nada...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:38:13 PM
I like the looks of the Cox'n Wrench, and although I don't have any use for it, it looks like it would make a good paperweight.  I like weird things like that. :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 02:41:23 PM

That... my mind steel can't fathom why would someone pay more than a couple of dollars for a caplifter/wrench bit of metal... no gears, no mechanisms, no sharpening, no handles, no nada...

Because even if they are stamped, the Die's cost money to machine, and precision ain't cheap.

EDIT: North American precision ain't cheap.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:43:27 PM
I like the looks of the Cox'n Wrench, and although I don't have any use for it, it looks like it would make a good paperweight.  I like weird things like that. :D

Which is largely why you keep ending up back here. .....   :ahhh

:D

Def

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 12:57:20 AM

Which is largely why you keep ending up back here. .....   :ahhh

:D

Def

Oh, I lurk a lot more now, but I'm never actually gone. ;) :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 03:31:14 AM
That's good to hear!

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 02:37:25 PM
I like the tools. they both look like they would be useful.

The boat with the pontoons looks like it would be really fast.  Where do you attach the motor?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 06:52:58 PM
One motor goes in each seat...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%