Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Evil Incarnate: Evil's modern interpretation of the Mini-Tool.....

evil510 · 147 · 18892

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
I had a little time to spare today.....

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.

As for my creations, they have fallen flat due to a severe lack of equipment.  I've never had my own mill or lathe at home, not even a drill press.  I have the skill and experience, just need the fund-age and really the space to put the machines and I could have a cracking fun hobby.  I have no interest in cutting metal for profit any more, but I do really enjoy the process of building something from a solid chunk of material and a CAD drawing. 
This was actually briefly discussed somewhere here on the forum years ago. I am very old school, traditional. Contrary to what many would believe, my workshop consists of very basic hand and power tools. I have no mill, no lathe, though I do have a drill press, various saws and welders. Everything I do is manual labor, nothing is automated. What I do have a lot of are custom jigs and tools that I created to help with tasks. Example: Years ago, when I first started making my own blades, believe it or not, one of the most frustrating things for me to do was the unassuming nailnick. I avoided them like the plague and would opt for drilling/tapping etc for a thumbstud instead. I researched various ways other knife makers did them, from stamping, to fly cutters, etc. Most of them were done with more expensive high tech ways of doing them. I didn't do enough nailnicks to warrant such expenditures. As good as I am with freehanding things, nailnicks can be a lot of work to come out right. I came up with a ultra low tech jig I dubbed the nailnicker that creates perfect nailnicks in no time flat in a repeatable process. It's about being creative and making do with what you have. I have never once worked from a CAD drawing, just freehand notes and diagrams that I've made. I would venture a guess that some of that would change if ever I got into mass production.....

That makes your work that much more impressive!  And it strengthens my resolve to get setup again once I complete this move I'm beginning this week.  Moving across the country again. 

The majority of my experience in metalcrafting comes from turning large pieces on very large CNC lathes.  We're talking miles of code and multiple processes to complete these parts, with many CAD drawings involved and CAM drawings to match them.  I've designed and built parts from the beginning of the idea to the initial drawing, final drawing, toolpath generation, all the way to machining completion.  It's a ton of fun, unless someone is telling you to do it.   ;)   I've also done some light tool and die reworking, and quite a bit of mass production CNC work as well, but turning is my specialty. 

But, nothing is as cool to me as building your own multitools from scratch and having them be better than Leatherman!  I've always wanted to design a tool that is exactly what I want and nothing I don't.  How do you do your stamping, do you have a brake or a press and die?  That's the part I would have trouble with, that and blade shaping, then probably heat treat on the blades.  Well, that and more, but that's the fun of it!  I think I will start with a simple single layer alox scissor only, probably late this year or early next year. 

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
You insane, evil, magnificent genius!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Yes Nail nicks are annoying hard to get just right!  I've tried a few methods and like none of them.  I figured I'd have to get a fly cutter for the mil but I'm not into making blades yet.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Yes Nail nicks are annoying hard to get just right!  I've tried a few methods and like none of them.  I figured I'd have to get a fly cutter for the mil but I'm not into making blades yet.

Do you put the nail nick in before heat treat?  If so you could build an angle block to clamp the blade to, and use a large diameter HSS endmill to nick the blade, and it wouldn't be AS expensive as getting a fly cutter or carbide endmill to do the trick. 

us Offline evil510

That makes your work that much more impressive!  And it strengthens my resolve to get setup again once I complete this move I'm beginning this week.  Moving across the country again. 

The majority of my experience in metalcrafting comes from turning large pieces on very large CNC lathes.  We're talking miles of code and multiple processes to complete these parts, with many CAD drawings involved and CAM drawings to match them.  I've designed and built parts from the beginning of the idea to the initial drawing, final drawing, toolpath generation, all the way to machining completion.  It's a ton of fun, unless someone is telling you to do it.   ;)   I've also done some light tool and die reworking, and quite a bit of mass production CNC work as well, but turning is my specialty. 

But, nothing is as cool to me as building your own multitools from scratch and having them be better than Leatherman!  I've always wanted to design a tool that is exactly what I want and nothing I don't.  How do you do your stamping, do you have a brake or a press and die?  That's the part I would have trouble with, that and blade shaping, then probably heat treat on the blades.  Well, that and more, but that's the fun of it!  I think I will start with a simple single layer alox scissor only, probably late this year or early next year.
Thank you, Mercury. Moving cross country sounds like quite a task. While I do not have a proper mill or lathe, I have managed to accomplish many of the same tasks with a multi-axis drill vise and various other attachments that I have made over the years. One converts the drill press into a mini vertical lathe. I'll always try and come up with my own solution before I spend money. I've yet to be content with any off-the-shelf multitool that I have ever come across, so, it is rather nice to be able to modify or create one to my wants/needs at any given time. Actually, I do no stamping. I do however have a modified sheet metal brake that I use for fabrication, in this case, the frames. All shaping is done in old fashioned ways. As for heat treatment, it is the only process that I outsource. I feel it is an art within itself. When it is done properly, the difference is literally night and day. I go to a family owned heat treater that knows their craft. They have passed their skills down from generations. I could go on about blade steels and heat treating, but that in itself is a whole other discussion. I look forward to seeing any of your work in the future.....  :salute:

You insane, evil, magnificent genius!
Thank you, shamus.....  :salute:

I also did not like what few other methods that I have tried. It wasn't until I took the time to come up with something that worked for me until I felt content with the results.....

Do you put the nail nick in before heat treat?  If so you could build an angle block to clamp the blade to, and use a large diameter HSS endmill to nick the blade, and it wouldn't be AS expensive as getting a fly cutter or carbide endmill to do the trick. 
For me personally, I always try to do them before heat treatment, and even before the primary grind, especially if the blade will have a full flat grind. It is much easier for me to mock up when the sides are parallel. I am not formally trained, so I would venture a guess that I do many things in an unorthodox fashion. The end result is what matters. Another thing that I like to do with all of my nailnicks is make them extra deep with a little bit of undercut so your nail actually hooks in a bit. I've handled so many knives in the past with nailnicks that were too shallow or small for me to get at easily......
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:32:27 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
I noticed I couple of your build have lanyards and some have clips while the Skeletool had a CB Radio Mic hanger I believe?

What about this one?

us Offline evil510

I noticed I couple of your build have lanyards and some have clips while the Skeletool had a CB Radio Mic hanger I believe?

What about this one?

Yes, they do vary. It all depends on how I anticipate carrying said tool with me. I typically don't use sheaths. One of the reasons for this is because the majority of them have belt loops. That is all well and good if you wear belts, which I usually don't. I prefer to pocket carry small tools. I also like to clip carry tools at my side up to a certain size/weight, even heavier if I happen to be wearing a belt. I am never with my EDC bag, which is rarely without one large tool, gadgets, etc. The swivel clip for Project Skeletool was originally made for a cellphone. I duplicated the dimensions of the original plastic button to make the new one out of metal. I was more active then and I wanted it to move with me as opposed to poking me, etc. I do have clips on some of my larger tools. I will belt carry them from time to time but actually clip them to the strap of my EDC bag more than anything. Most all work days, I actually have my little EDC light clipped to the neckline of my t-shirt, sometimes a pen or pocket screwdriver as well. I wonder if anyone else does that, lol. This project is evolving as I work on it more. At first, I was going to go quick and dirty and just shorten a leather sheath that I have for a Core. Then I thought perhaps that's I'd leave it full length and use the extra space to store a bit adapter that I plan on also making. As of the moment, I am steering towards a quick release form fitting holster with a swivel clip. It's small enough that I think I'll barely feel it at my side. Regardless of carry method, it will have a lanyard attachment of some sort integrated into it. That of course is subject to change, so we'll see.....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:52:06 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team

Thank you, Mercury. Moving cross country sounds like quite a task. While I do not have a proper mill or lathe, I have managed to accomplish many of the same tasks with a multi-axis drill vise and various other attachments that I have made over the years. One converts the drill press into a mini vertical lathe. I'll always try and come up with my own solution before I spend money. I've yet to be content with any off-the-shelf multitool that I have ever come across, so, it is rather nice to be able to modify or create one to my wants/needs at any given time. Actually, I do no stamping. I do however have a modified sheet metal brake that I use for fabrication, in this case, the frames. All shaping is done in old fashioned ways. As for heat treatment, it is the only process that I outsource. I feel it is an art within itself. When it is done properly, the difference is literally night and day. I go to a family owned heat treater that knows their craft. They have passed their skills down from generations. I could go on about blade steels and heat treating, but that in itself is a whole other discussion. I look forward to seeing any of your work in the future.....  :salute:

A Drill press is the first item on my list once I get set back up.  But it's gonna be awhile before funds will allow it.  I would really prefer to have a benchtop mill, because I retained some awesome cutters from my days as a Machinist and they would really make fabrication easier.  Wishlists...  :D

I am really jonesing for my single layer alox scissor, so I will be purchasing the donor SAK's within the year and trying to knock that badboy out.  I can do that whole project with a drill press and what I have in my current tool crib. 

Man it's impressive that you shape your frames like you do.  It takes a lot of precision to get them even without a die.  I can't wait to see your finished product!!!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Actually, while I can only speak for myself, I would love to see what your workspace looks like. Cleaned up or not. That you do this with a fairly minimal tool set and lots of skill makes your work both less and more daunting.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Actually, while I can only speak for myself, I would love to see what your workspace looks like. Cleaned up or not. That you do this with a fairly minimal tool set and lots of skill makes your work both less and more daunting.

Same here!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice

Same here!
X3!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
It's a  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!SUPER MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

OK seriously that thing is awesome Evil :cheers: Can't wait to see what all you do with that thing :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
I don;t know if I have already said or not, but this is really awesome. Great job, Evil :salute:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline evil510

A Drill press is the first item on my list once I get set back up.  But it's gonna be awhile before funds will allow it.  I would really prefer to have a benchtop mill, because I retained some awesome cutters from my days as a Machinist and they would really make fabrication easier.  Wishlists...  :D
I am really jonesing for my single layer alox scissor, so I will be purchasing the donor SAK's within the year and trying to knock that badboy out.  I can do that whole project with a drill press and what I have in my current tool crib. Man it's impressive that you shape your frames like you do.  It takes a lot of precision to get them even without a die.  I can't wait to see your finished product!!!
Be sure to post any mods you may do in the future.....  :salute:

Same here!
X3!
I'll see if I can manage something in between tasks this summer.....  :salute:

It's a  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!SUPER MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

OK seriously that thing is awesome Evil :cheers: Can't wait to see what all you do with that thing :tu:
Thank you, Poncho..... :cheers: I have been EDC'ing as is and I can't wait for it to be complete as well. A little more progress done. I will post photos shortly.....

I don;t know if I have already said or not, but this is really awesome. Great job, Evil :salute:
Thank you rdub.....  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:17:49 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
    You sir, give the A in AMAZING!  :D :o
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline evil510

Hey there, gang. Just another little update post. Those familiar with my work, know that I have a fondness for scissors. In fact, whether a tool has a set or not has been a deal breaker for me in the past. Scissors truly are one of the tools that I don't mind on each tool if possible. While this tool will typically always be a companion to another tool with scissors, those various scissors will have their strengths and weaknesses and cater to different cutting tasks. The scissors I am creating for this tool will fill a niche for me.....

A little about scissors. Creating scissors from scratch can be a bit complex, especially when hand made. First off, they are more than just two slabs of metal on a pivot that shear. There is a subtle bend on the blades that keeps them in constant contact for them to effectively cut from pivot to tip. On smaller scissors without a finger hole, a spring mechanism is most always needed as well. Initially, I was going to hold off on creating scissors. Mainly because it is time consuming and tedious work on my part. As I have been carrying it more and more, deciding on what to and what not to add, I felt that I would probably regret not creating scissors and inevitably make a set somewhere down the road for this tool anyway.....

About this set of scissors. When creating scissors, one of the most important things to consider is the pivot point. Moving it more towards the tip gives you less cutting area but more leverage. Conversely, moving it back will give you more cutting area at the expense of leverage. I decided that I wanted more cutting area. It will only be tasked with small-medium jobs, so leverage isn't too much of a concern. The main concern is that they cut well. If anything needs added leverage to be cut, I can use the pliers cutters for wires, etc and whichever other tool I have with me for larger cutting tasks. This new set boasts more cutting area than Surge scissors, though at the cost of lost leverage, of course. Which I am totally okay with.....

Basic, unrefined prototype test fitted.....

I still need to create a spring mechanism, nailnick, rivet, shape, sharpen, heat treat, bend, etc.....

Incarnate on the left, Surge scissors on the right.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:18:34 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline evil510

You sir, give the A in AMAZING!  :D :o
Thank you, Xelkos..... :cheers:
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Might I suggest a fold out extension? That might be handy considering the handle is quite short on those scissors. But anyway no way in hades could I ever dream up something like this. Totally amazing. I'm not a fan of scissors at all, but I guarantee if you made a pair for me they'd be part of my EDC everyday!
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline evil510

Might I suggest a fold out extension? That might be handy considering the handle is quite short on those scissors. But anyway no way in hades could I ever dream up something like this. Totally amazing. I'm not a fan of scissors at all, but I guarantee if you made a pair for me they'd be part of my EDC everyday!
Thank you for the suggestion buddy. Already considered that, however, there is absolutely no room to spare length-wise, nor width-wise. If there were, I would have capitalized on that. I always try to make use of every bit of space on my tools, if possible. This is afterall only a 3 inch tool. The handles themselves take up the width of two slim tools. As is, there is only a .005 clearance before contacting the plier head. Length-wise, I am limited by the length of the secondary handles, minus the unexposed area when deployed, which basically limits all four tools to about two inches. Viewing them as tiny scissors with extra cutting area as opposed to large scissors with tiny handles, their usefulness can be more appreciated, I feel. If I decide to make another mini style tool, minus the handles or made wider or with fewer tools, I would have many more options for wider tools such as a full 3D driver or bit driver, etc. I have a few spare plier heads laying around and am already brainstorming ideas. Might as well put them to good use. Scissors are essential for me. I literally use them daily.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:23:35 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
    When are you going into production of these? :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Yeah cause that tool is awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Better question is why hasn't LM already contacted you about making them ??? :D

us Offline tattoosteve99

Yeah cause that tool is awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Cause they made the rev instead

us Offline evil510

Maybe one day.....

Yeah cause that tool is awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Better question is why hasn't LM already contacted you about making them ??? :D
You'd have to ask them, lol... just kidding

Cause they made the rev instead
I honestly had to do a search just now to see what the Rev was all about. Goes to show how much I've kept up with their offerings.....

A little update. Primary grind. For the plunge cut, I decided to compliment the angle and curve of the blade tip. I wanted to maximize cutting surface area, bringing the cutting edge all the way back to the choil. If I had brought the plunge cut straight up from the choil, it would have been overlapped by the handle itself. That simply would not look pleasing to me. Also, decided to go with a dual texture, polished and brushed finish. Still need to cut nailnick on the other side, heat treat, etc.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline tattoosteve99

A little update. Primary grind. For the plunge cut, I decided to compliment the angle and curve of the blade tip. I wanted to maximize cutting surface area, bringing the cutting edge all the way back to the choil. If I had brought the plunge cut straight up from the choil, it would have been overlapped by the handle itself. That simply would not look pleasing to me. Also, decided to go with a dual texture, polished and brushed finish. Still need to cut nailnick on the other side, heat treat, etc.....
(Image removed from quote.)

That lookalike a scalpel! Wow

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
It looks even more beautiful now :o :drool:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
I am just in awe - that little blade is resplendent
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline evil510

That lookalike a scalpel! Wow
I'll make sure that it is quite sharp by the time I'm done  ;)  On a side note, speaking of scalpels, Shear Evil will be surgery-ready sharp at any given moment.....

It looks even more beautiful now :o :drool:
Thank you, Poncho.....

I am just in awe - that little blade is resplendent
Thank you, rdub. It should come out pretty nice when all is said and done.....

The full-functioning prototype. After contemplating various spring options, this is what I came up with. Doesn't branch out from the underside of the pivot as so many others do. A Vic style spring really wasn't an option either. If I recall, some of the Sog's may work in a similar fashion. Simple and efficient, worked out better than I initially thought. I'll do a little refinement here and there, of course. Now I can focus on rest of the work that needs to be done on them.....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:02:38 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Fantastic!  The scissors look like they are really coming along and the blade is beautiful.  Well done!

us Offline evil510

Minor update. Nailnick for scissors. Refined contour of blades.....

Close-up of nailnick.....

Nailnick for new blade. Extra deep and undercut for a better bite.....

View of knife deployed.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44