Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bahco MTT121, MTT151 and MTT051

fi Offline Padre

Bahco MTT121, MTT151 and MTT051
on: June 01, 2016, 07:19:01 PM
This is part one, the rest is coming up later. I have only 10 minutes here:

Let me tell you about the MT I met when I was shopping.
It was a Bahco MTT121, and for its prize its interesting and half decent!
This tool is interesting. Its smaller than Juice, but bigger than Squirt.
It has really good tool selection for its price. Around here you get these things for 10€, thats around $12.
Doesn't sound so cheap, well I found one for 3€, thats around $4, now here it gets interesting, right?
Here were I live MTs are expensive, MUCH more expensive than say in US. But this 70% sale was really good!
Sadly I'm not here to sell you this tool, its cheap sure, but it isn't that good either. But I have some feelings for it. It has potential.

As far as I know there are six Bahco MTs around, I go through three of these in this review.
But wait theres more! Just you wait.

Picture of (from left to right) tools in this review:
Leatherman XE6, Bahco MTT121, Bahco MTT151, Bahco MTT051, Leatherman ChargeAL

And here it is! Bahco MTT121!
Picture of Bahco MTT121 besides its big brother MTT151 (notice how the big brother doesn't use torx screws and also how the screws arent sunk into the MT body):

Well lets start with a good here: I like how this looks live. Its shiny orange with white logo and black torx screws on it for easy dissasembly. Orange is aluminium and black is plastic, but feels quality one. The pliers have almost stonewashed lok on them, while other tools are really shiny, almost chrome. It feels sturdy and it has nice grip to it. I like the keychain also, it comes with it, but you can also detach it and hide the lanyard ring. I love its tools also. It has everything I basically need. The selection is almost perfect. Also they have arranged them nicely.
Then the bad... the tools are really low quality and cheaply made in China.

Side A of MTT121:

Tools are scissors, bottle opener and large flathead and small philips driver.
The tools are mediocre. Scissors overlap. Phillips has no grip. It has bad shape and finish. Bottle opener works, flathead is useable. The lanyard is the best tool here. Scissors barely cut. But you could sharpen them. The spring on the scossors is actually ok.

Side B of MTT121:

Tools are file and nail cleaner, main blade, small flathead screwdriver and wtf-tool.
Again the tools are pretty bad. The file is the best tool around here. It has coarse and not so coarse side. It is actually pretty aggressive and does it job! Wow! Also nail cleaner. What to say. The small screwdriver is pretty ok. Its slippery and the grind is bad. Thats what she said. The main blade is pretty nice, the shape is perfect. But its dull. Need to be resharpened. Also the point is somehow messed up. Then there is this tool I call wtf-tool. I don't know what its supposed to be, but its really bad. Really freaking akward. Its like partially punch and partially can opener. Hybrid or mutant of somekind. The other side is sharpened (not in the picture, sorry, but it is the curved side), but the point is completely dull. Hard to punch things. Its like pirate sword, but in miniatyre size. Its wtf-tool.

The pliers:

Hey I like these! Something between Juice and Squirt I said! Its a pinch cutter. It works decent. The spring is really nice. Quiet and smooth, but still strong. Best thing about this tool and this is why I kinda (secretly) like it.

Overall: Really basic and cheap tool. It feels better than it is. It looks good. Sdaly most of the tools are bad compared to main makers in this industry. Bahco makes excellent tools (in Germany), but this Chinese tool that had rights to stamp Bahco in it, should be ashamed. Also shame you Bahco! Get your MTs better like the rest of your lineup is!

See you in part 2 here soon!  :multi:
btw this took me 25 minutes, damn.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:30:19 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Bahco MTT121, MTT151 and MTT051
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 05:46:53 AM
I had one of Bahco's earlier Multitools, based off a Bearjaws design, which for the price (AU) bunched well above it's weight.

I don't know if they still offer that style, and it would be a shame if this current line is a dud, as Bahco's other tool ranges are good (their gardening and cutting tools have all served me very well)

Is it possible to get these pictures reduced? My computer got a hernia trying to load this page.

fi Offline Padre

Re: Bahco MTT121, MTT151 and MTT051
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:06:45 PM
By "popular" demand, all pictures are now smaller.

Next up is MTT121s big brother, MTT151, here beside MTT121.

It has the same wonderful style as MTT121, but in larger size.
There are two variations of this tool I know of, basic version and the fisherman version.
I have the fisherman version here. Only one tool difference between these tools:
The fisherman version comes with scaler that has ruler on the other side in metric system, and file on the other.
The normal version has basic file with three sides.

MTT151 comes up with a sheath, the one on the left side. It has the same Bahco-orange trim as the tool itself.
The sheath is actually pretty good!

Lets look at the side A of this tool:

The tools are previously mentioned fish scaler/ruler/file combo, serrated blade, philips driver and large flathead/bottle opener.
This time all of these tools are actually useable except the serrated blade. Its really bad. So useless. Barely cuts even thinnest rope. The drivers are mediocre at best, but at least the philips has some grip this time. Its larger also.

Side B next:

This side has saw, main blade, can opener/medium flathead, small flathead and another medium flathead.
Lets start with the blade. it works, not super sharp and the point again is wacky. Can opener is like SOG can opener, and I highly doubt it is good for use. The drivers again suffer from grip. Nothing much to say, I really don't like to use these. Saw is bad too, should be thinner on the top side. The tool looks fine and feels fine too, but they cut corners in wrong things.

Pliers:

Again the best feature of this Bahco tool, springy and quiet.

Overall: I feel like they made many mistakes with this one. Its on a larger size, but accomplishes less. Maybe for a guy who definetly needs a fish scaler? I like MTT121 much more, its even fine for EDC, this just has that low quality feel just when you actually use the tools. As an pliers it works, but it is MT for a reason. Stay away unless you get it really cheap. Around here this costs about 12€. I wouldnt spend that much money on it, well maybe if you don't want to spend more to an MT. At least it looks better than it is.

Next time even larger Bahco MT, the Bahco MTT051!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:09:46 PM by Padre »
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!