Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Essential Multitool Buyer's Guide- what do you think?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
It occurred to me that we see a lot of threads about people asking what multitool they should buy, what would best suit them, what they should buy for a friend or relative etc.

So here's your chance- when someone asks you what multitool they should buy or what should they look for in a multitool, what advice do you give?  I'm looking more for general guidelines than a specific brand or tool, so if you give any specific answers you will need to justify why you said it!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: The Essential Multitool Buyer's Guide- what do you think?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:29:04 PM
Buy one of each  :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:42:35 PM
I guess I would start by asking several questions:

1) What are you primarily going to be doing with the multitool?
2) What method of carry would they prefer: sheath, pocket, keychain or will it ride in glovebox, pack, or sit in a desk drawer?
3) What conditions will the tool be used?
4) Is price a factor and if so, what is the price range?

Regardless of the answers to these queries, my biggest advice is that they stay away from cheaper offerings, despite being more affordable, and stick to the household names in multitools: SOG, Gerber, Leatherman, or Vic. These companies have a long history of making multitools, have good reputations, offer really good warranties, and have awesome customer service.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:44:29 PM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 04:42:45 PM
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 04:47:34 PM
I'd ask a bunch of questions back:

Budget?
What would the tool be used for?  (DIY/camping/in the car/fishing/zombie apocalypse etc etc?)
Location/legalities?  (Government building/schools/work/use in public/which country?)
For use on its own or with other tools?
Do they want a 'system' like the Surge or a standalone tool like the Wave?
Scissors or not?
How do they want to carry it? (pocket/belt/bag/lanyard/as a fistload)
Hand size?
One-hand opening?

Then tell them to buy a Spirit.   >:D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:34 PM
I'd tell them to join MT.O, and start a thread asking what they should buy!  :P

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 05:28:57 PM
Join MTO and ask questions later sounds like good advice..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline mcb

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 06:23:59 PM
Replace able screw driver bits.  The ability to replace them when you wear them out is important to longevity of a multi-tool.  In my experience screw drive bits are one of the first things to wear out.  Replaceable bits also increase the versatility of the tool given the huge variety of drivers/fasteners there are out there.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:09 PM
If they all ready joined MTO it's to late, they are going to end up buying everything.
CHEERS

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 06:40:37 PM
Replace able screw driver bits.  The ability to replace them when you wear them out is important to longevity of a multi-tool.  In my experience screw drive bits are one of the first things to wear out.  Replaceable bits also increase the versatility of the tool given the huge variety of drivers/fasteners there are out there.
Id rather have a standard bit kit than a "replacable bit system" like Leatherman's bit kit. The bits are difficult to replace, as Leatherman does not sell them individually, or even as custom sets. Victorinox's kit is IMO the best, as ut can stand alone, rather than Leatherman's bit extender or adapter- or the SOG or Gerber kits.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 06:53:13 PM
If a gift, I suggest they buy 2. 
One to keep, because that is what occurs with best intentions, then the 2nd one for the purposed gift.   
Then everyone is happy. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 07:02:35 PM
Id rather have a standard bit kit than a "replacable bit system" like Leatherman's bit kit. The bits are difficult to replace, as Leatherman does not sell them individually, or even as custom sets. Victorinox's kit is IMO the best, as ut can stand alone, rather than Leatherman's bit extender or adapter- or the SOG or Gerber kits.

I think that is more of a personal preference. So, definitely something to mention. The large bit driver was one of the deciding factors that made me go with a Leatherman Wave (the purchase that brought my multitool fever to critical levels). However, now I prefer dedicated drivers on my multitools. But for longevity sake, the good brands have warranties. If I wore out or broke a driver, or anything, I'd get in touch with the manufacturer for repair or replacement.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 07:28:45 PM
I prefer a MT to have a knife blade, scissors, file (diamond is best), saw, awl, flat driver and a Phillips head driver.  OHO and outside accessible tools are nice for me but not a must. Removable wire cutters are nice as well but not a must either. I also like as low profile and high quality sheath as I can get for that specific tool as well. For a light duty tool that is not my main EDC I like a pocket clip versus the sheath as well. If I think of anything else I will add it :cheers:

us Offline mcb

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 07:52:35 PM

I think that is more of a personal preference. So, definitely something to mention. The large bit driver was one of the deciding factors that made me go with a Leatherman Wave (the purchase that brought my multitool fever to critical levels). However, now I prefer dedicated drivers on my multitools. But for longevity sake, the good brands have warranties. If I wore out or broke a driver, or anything, I'd get in touch with the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

For me I wear out Philips bits too often to have to warranty repair my multi tool that often.  I do have a bit adapter for my Surge and MUT that allows me to use standard bits for some of the more exotic fasteners but in my Skeletool having the two standard bit in that tool covers 95% of what I need a bit driver in a MT for.  Definitely something to consider when selecting a multi tool.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 07:57:01 PM
I think what I would ask them:

Budget
What are you wanting to use this for?
**Do you carry a knife?
*Do you have any tools in your car?  What brand of tools?
Are you looking for something portable to replace all this?
***Do you use pliers more than you use screwdrivers or vice versa?

I feel like the "do you already carry a knife?" and "do you use pliers more than a screwdriver?" actually are some of the more important questions. I found this out the hard way owning many pliers based tools. I tended to use the knife and screwdriver more so comfortable handles, easy access to tools was a huge factor. On a day when I was going to use pliers more than anything something like the MP600 was going to excel. If they own a knife, the type of knife can play into it. Do they like something shaving sharp, do they like to scrap and poke and beat on it.
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 08:29:53 PM
:rofl: Only one?

That's just to get started :D

Don't want to overwhelm them , we can suggest multiples later  once they have been properly assimilated   :D

:assimilate:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 08:37:36 PM
If a friend or relative shows interest in carrying a MT, I would glad take care of it out from my pocket, so budget is not an issue as long as he/she is willing to carry it on person.

In that case, I will normally choose a keychain MT like Swisstech Utili-Key, Vic Classic, LM Squirt for him/her.

If that person is the outdoorgoing, sporting, working, tinkering type, I would choose a full size MT with OHO blade and pocket clip, with a stealth. LM Wingman / Sidekick is perfect for such.

If he/she just like one to throw in the car; sorry I can't help you.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 08:39:49 PM
Oh!!!!! We should whip up one of them "follow the line" charts

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 08:41:13 PM
Oh!!!!! We should whip up one of them "follow the line" charts
Most likely the MT would ended up in a drawer somewhere.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
 :nothingtoadd:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 08:46:31 PM
Something like this

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:17 PM
:rofl: Only one?

That's just to get started :D

Don't want to overwhelm them , we can suggest multiples later  once they have been properly assimilated   :D

:assimilate:

Exactly  :clap: :2tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 08:58:48 PM
My experience with "newbies" is a lot like this:

Q: What is your budget?
A: Nowhere near what quality brands cost.

... so I often think the best recommendation is point people in the direction of e.g. the MT.o review section so they can get some basic knowledge. The last one who asked me was my brother-in-law who is a little cheap, so I simply asked him about what he needed and what he liked, and then my wife and I simply gifted him a proper MT for his birthday. :)

In other words, I think the start of a buyer's guide is giving enough background that a newbie knows enough to ask meaningful questions and have more or less realistic expectations.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 09:00:42 PM
1) Start by getting a Spirit, as it's widely considered the pinnacle of multi-tools.

2) Then get a spare one.

3) In the unusual but not impossible case the Spirit doesn't meet your needs try to find what other MT will do that. The Spirit has shown you the way.

4) Send firiki the Spirit from steps 1 and 2 :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 09:05:21 PM
Well... we could make a question-catalogue. This one should have been filled by the asking person. The catalogue is opening of the thread.

If the questions are not asked properly and well, it just gets closed. But the person has to get the advice that there is a catalogue that has be answered...

This will avoid some strange questions like "Which MT for militay use under 10.00 US-$ ?!?!"  - I mean, what are they thinking?

In a german spoken forum this is almost a procedere that has been used for many years. It needed some time until it established, but now it seems to run pretty well.

Standard questions for MTs or flashlights or any other kind of gear.

Just my .02 Cent.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 09:11:51 PM
Seriously now, some very good questions have been asked, I'll list some and add mine as well:

- Bugdet?
- Pliers-based or knife-based? Maybe consider a SAK?
- What kind of use?
- You realise that a MT is more of a convenience item and not a proper tool? (Yes, even the alox Pioneer!)
- Why not a Spirit?

The MT question form is a very good idea. My only reservation is that it takes away the personal touch and spontaneity this place offers that I'm sure we all love.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 09:33:04 PM
The most important question is if the potential buyer is biased towards some specific brands.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 10:44:34 PM
I think that when you ask these kinds of questions, like "what do you want to use it for?" or "Do you have any interest in any specific brands?" most people are likely to just look at you, shrug and say "I dunno, I just want a good one just in case."

At least that's been my experience.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 11:00:02 PM
If they want pliers, two questions to ask could be: "How much do you want to spend?" and "How much do you want to carry?" Then depending on the answers...

|        | Cheap     | Moderate  | Expensive |
|--------+-----------+-----------+-----------|
| Light  | Wingman   | Skeletool |           |
| Medium | MP600     | Rebar     | Spirit    |
| Heavy  | PowerLock | Surge     | SwissTool |
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30