Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SOG Tool as the first one - Power Assist maybe?

Humppa · 25 · 2367

bavaria Offline Humppa

Hi guys on the SOG-subforum...

I´m a SAK and LM guy usually. But it seems I want to try SOG tools as well. First, I thought I gonna try it with the SOG Crosscut, and I ordered it. But it never came. So no good karma. At least I got a refund for my money.

Now I browsed on and found the SOG Power Assist. It seems to have a nice setup on tools. I like its look as well.

But how big is it? Do any of you guys have a pic with a LM Wave or a Swisstool or a standard 91 mm SAK?

How are SOG tools made in general, I mean things like wobble and sharp edges where none should be and so on?

What are your experiences with the Power Assist and the SOG tools in general?

Thanks in advance :)
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Which SOG Tool as the first one - Power Assist maybe?
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:09:34 PM
This is just my opinion, don't read too much into it. Crosscut not arriving was a good thing. If I was to try another, it would be the PowerLock.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:14:12 PM
I will get you a pic later, but the SOG Power Assist is about the size of a ST300 or Swiss tool. I have had very good run with mine. Did have a spring break one the PE blade and SOG fixed it right quick. Weird fluke thing. I believe the Power Assist will serve you well.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:34:29 PM
You've got to try PowerAssist, to experience the feeling of it. I won one and had the opportunity to try it. I didn't like the loss of feedback at my hand with it and I didn't need the force augmentation because either my hands are strong or my needs are light or a combination of both. So I gave it away for another one to try it but I'm happy I tried it, otherwise I would continue to wonder about it. You might like it.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:40:52 PM
I'd say go for PPP (pocket powerplier) first. It gets you into modding right away, so you can try out different tools. Its also really good on its own. PowerLock second if you want large tool. Both of these are fun to play with practising opening with one hand flicking them open. PowerAssist is ok too, but those fancy blades are pretty much just for show.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:54:57 PM
I vote for the Powerlock.  The OHO knives on a multi haven't appealed to me just yet.  I tend to get a lot of use out of the v-cutter.  Easiest MT to mod, even though I'm still waiting to change out some items on my PL and PPP.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:31 PM
I also vote Powerlock or PPP as first SOG.

They were my 1st and 2nd SOG, and now I have many of them... :facepalm:

They allow you to try out most attractive SOG features (easy modding, compound leverage,

most of the different tools and implements common to all SOGs

general fit and finish

sturdiness...

and without breaking the bank.

They are usually smooth and easy to open

and introduce you to the addictive "Multitool balisong flipping"

Choose depending on whether you want a heavy beast for tough tasks

or a medium pocketable lightweight tool

But I definitely recommend trying a SOG out, who knows, maybe you'll love them more than any other!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:42:30 PM
Thanks for the great advices... I seem to tend more and more to the PPP. And not so much to the Power Assist.

I have to think about it during the vacation with my wife and son in Austria and come back later, soon.

Thanks also for the great pics and comments. This really helps so much.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:04:18 AM
My first SOG was a PowerLock with scissors. It does everything I wanted it to do and isn't as heavy as other tools its size. I've never had a problem carrying it in my back pocket.

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:51 PM
Great, a PPP it is then.  Now would that be the Deluxe (with bit driver) or the standard?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 10:27:10 PM
Great, a PPP it is then.  Now would that be the Deluxe (with bit driver) or the standard?

I would actually suggest you get an older version (the US-made files are far superior and I prefer the combination cap-lifter and can opener to the can't-opener that they use today). I first got the standard model, then bought a 1/4" driver and now recently an older one.

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 11:41:47 PM
I would like a better file on mine but I've been able to get by with the can opener.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 02:13:41 AM
I would like a better file on mine but I've been able to get by with the can opener.
Ive been pretty hard on the SOG can openers, but they can open cans. Much better than the Juice's opener.

If you plan to carry screwdriver bits with your PPP, get the deluxe. Personally id go with the standard though. SOGs awl is wicked, and leaves room for another tool later on.

The whole advantage of the PPP is its compactness and pocketability. Add screwdriver bits, and you are basically forced into sheath carry, and at that point, you may as well get the full sized PowerLock.

Now if SOG would just come out with a Pocket PowerLock :rant:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

fi Offline Padre

Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 10:40:34 AM
Awls on SOGs are best on the market. Get one with awl I agree. Really aggressive for making holes.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 12:03:47 PM
Not the Powerduo !   ;)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:18 PM
Ive been pretty hard on the SOG can openers, but they can open cans. Much better than the Juice's opener.

If you plan to carry screwdriver bits with your PPP, get the deluxe. Personally id go with the standard though. SOGs awl is wicked, and leaves room for another tool later on.

The whole advantage of the PPP is its compactness and pocketability. Add screwdriver bits, and you are basically forced into sheath carry, and at that point, you may as well get the full sized PowerLock.

The solution might be the PowerPlier, it was for me

much easier to carry than the Powerlock

not much bigger than PPP (well, doesn't feel like it)

better tool loadout than both

only drawback, it ain't needlenose!
My fav. SOGs are always the discontinued ones...  :facepalm:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 07:14:57 PM

The solution might be the PowerPlier, it was for me

(Image removed from quote.)

much easier to carry than the Powerlock

not much bigger than PPP (well, doesn't feel like it)

better tool loadout than both

only drawback, it ain't needlenose!
My fav. SOGs are always the discontinued ones...  :facepalm:

I've been looking to get a full size SOG with the compound leverage, but I'm very torn on which model.

I don't really want another really large multi; how big is that original PP exactly?
The PPP seems like a better fit size-wise, but I don't know how it holds up in QC.
Are the models lacking the handle covers comfortable to use?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 12:10:36 PM
The PP is just in between the Powerlock and the PPP, it's my favorite size actually.

The PL seeems too big, thick and bulky to my liking, so gets carried on the bag more often than not

The PPP is really nice for pocket, lightweight carry, but the lack of clip kills that option as I don't like things hanging and bouncing inside the pocket.

The PP has the best tool loadout of those two, for my uses at least, and feels way stronger than any other SOG, it's a true tank, while weighing less than the larger SOGs and being much more carry friendly.

The main drawback in comparison with the PL is the lack of locking tools (some won't feel this way, depends on personal preference), the BN plier head (if you use needlenose often) and maybe the lack of scissors, but I have those in the keychain SAK so no problem for me.

Piano locks are of no use to me as I find they get on the way, and I often use my SOGs with gloves on which reduce the handle's diggin in the palm effect.
I am selling my Powerlock here in the forums, in fact, as I much prefer the PP and don't want the PL just laying around unused.

My toys:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 08:53:41 AM
The PP is just in between the Powerlock and the PPP, it's my favorite size actually.

The PL seeems too big, thick and bulky to my liking, so gets carried on the bag more often than not

The PPP is really nice for pocket, lightweight carry, but the lack of clip kills that option as I don't like things hanging and bouncing inside the pocket.

The PP has the best tool loadout of those two, for my uses at least, and feels way stronger than any other SOG, it's a true tank, while weighing less than the larger SOGs and being much more carry friendly.

The main drawback in comparison with the PL is the lack of locking tools (some won't feel this way, depends on personal preference), the BN plier head (if you use needlenose often) and maybe the lack of scissors, but I have those in the keychain SAK so no problem for me.

Piano locks are of no use to me as I find they get on the way, and I often use my SOGs with gloves on which reduce the handle's diggin in the palm effect.
I am selling my Powerlock here in the forums, in fact, as I much prefer the PP and don't want the PL just laying around unused.

I somehow missed your reply until just now  :oops:

Thanks for the info and comparison photos. It can be a pain to find exactly the comparisons you want for a specific tool by just googling around.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 09:24:26 AM
Since everyone said lots good things about SOG MT so I am going to do the opposite so you can Get the whole picture.

Power assist, overly complex mechanism
Power lock, big MT with small implements. (Think ST300 with PST implements)
PPP , non-locking implements, very weak retainion, easy to fold during useage. Cause me to drop out the SOG challenge in Jan.
Powerduo, very bad fit n finish.
Powerplay, nothing wrong with it nothing great about it either.
Reactor, blade is too easy to disengage accidently.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:32:05 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 07:55:03 PM
Also PPP lacks of gear cover and handle cover, that could be an issue as well.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 08:10:48 PM
One day SOG will listen to me when I complain about the lack of Pocket PowerLock 

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:28 PM
One day SOG will listen to me when I complain about the lack of Pocket PowerLock
:drool: I am very interested.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 08:35:38 PM
Forgot to mention Paratool, poor tool access, takes a while to deploy the tool you need, tools clump like no tomorrow.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 02:04:09 AM
:drool: I am very interested.
Ive toyed with adding locks to my PPP, but im afraid the lightening holes go too far down the tool. I think it might be possible with a PT-510, but I have yet to find one with a price tag I can afford to experiment with.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%