Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bikepacking

styx · 44 · 2462

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Bikepacking
on: June 22, 2016, 01:51:14 PM
I know some here have been doing this for probably longer than I've been alive, so I'm wondering one thing - do classical backpacks still work for longer trips?

By classical, I mean something along the lines of Osprey Kestrel 48 for instance
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Re: Bikepacking
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:57:09 PM
48 litres is probably twice the size of a pack I'd want to use for biking - and most of the time I try to take no pack at all.  You want to try to distribute the load around the bike and you as much as possible and take as little as you can.  For my last trip (just a one-nighter, but I could have done more with the gear I took) I had one 8 litre drybag under the saddle, another 8 litre bag attached to the bars, and an 11 litre backpack.

That's not to say you can't use a bigger backpack, it's just that carrying all that weight on your back won't be that comfortable.

I suppose it'll depend on what kit you've got, how far (and where) you're going, and what the weather will be like.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:18:25 PM
 :nothingtoadd:

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 04:57:31 PM
Since everything is hypothetical at this point, it's easy to talk and get informed. I know I can do a 3 day trip with a 37 to 45 liter backpack, depending on the bulkiness of some items. In reality, only thing that changes from an over night to multiple days is the amount of food.

I also remember that older military packs, like the Alice pack, could easily throw one off balance

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:15:41 PM
I think you could do it on the cheap with a couple of 15-20 litre drybags, some webbing straps and a daysack.  I use dedicated harnesses for the front and rear drybags from http://wildcatgear.co.uk/ but there are other, cheaper manufacturers out there such as Alpkit and bikepack.eu.  KTM make a saddle bag that might be worth considering: http://www.ktmbikes.eu/ktm-bikes/eshop/4-1-CYCLING-ACCESSORIES/0/5/1023-KTM-Saddle-Bag-Tour-XL-18L

Most bikepackers also seem to use tarps + bivvy bags instead of tents - it's a fairly cheap way of dropping some bulk and weight if you're prepared to sleep 'outside' rather than in a tent, though if you've already got a sub-1.5kg tent then there's not much in it.

hr Offline styx

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 07:39:31 PM
Considering that I've already gotten a tarp and bivvy from Alpkit based on your recommendation, and am loving 'em, that helps

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 09:25:57 PM
I have no information to offer, but this is something I want to get into when the boy gets a couple years older.  I think it's pretty darn nifty.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:14 PM
Do people still use bike rack and panniers any more?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:32 PM
Considering that I've already gotten a tarp and bivvy from Alpkit based on your recommendation, and am loving 'em, that helps

:tu:

I ought to ask them for commission.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:18 PM
Do people still use bike rack and panniers any more?

I think they still have their place.  With a rack you can carry more, it's easier to fit the bags to a rack, the stuff is easier to access and it's a bit more acceptable - less of a leap perhaps than bikepacking gear.

Bikepacking is quite fashionable at the moment, which helps, but the whole 'lighter, further, faster' philosophy is a good one IMO.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:59:19 PM
Here's some pics of my gear over the years:

First ever overnighter 5 years ago - using what I'd got (Carradice saddlebag, Jandd framebag, drybag strapped to the bars and Osprey 22L rucksack) and carrying too much stuff - but it was March in Wales and there was heavy frost

New saddlebag (from bikepack.eu) and framebag (Revelate Designs), I think I had an 11L Osprey pack here.

Same bags as above, but in a different bike.  Also had a 22L Osprey for a two night trip - carried too much and had spare capacity. ::)

Same bags again, back on my old MTB.  On a four night tour, with the 11L pack.  Trying out a Salsa Anything Cage for more carrying capacity - not much use, TBH.

Latest trip - new bike, new bags.  Wildcat Drover seatpack + 8L drybag, Wildcat Lion bar harness + 8L drybag, Osprey 11L backpack, water in bottle cages on frame.  Seemed the best so far, but I was also carrying less stuff and what I did have was lighter and more compact.  Seatbag had tarp, bivvy, stove and sleeping mat.  Front bag had sleeping bag and clothes.  Backpack had everything else - stuff I needed to access quickly like waterproofs, food, tools.  Also tarp poles and pegs, lights, etc.

Not sure I'd do much differently next time, except maybe use a larger bag on the front and free up some room in my pack for consumable stuff.

ca Offline JP

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 03:33:06 AM
The front bag has a sleeping bag and clothes!?!

You must be a nudist.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 07:34:59 AM
well what's the point of it all if you can't strut your stuff around?

and yes, Hiraethus, you should ask them for a commission. They were great to deal with, their prices aren't too crazy, especially compared to some other european shops that are predominantly vendors for US companies) and no import tax for me

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM
Yep, Alpkit are definitely good guys to deal with.

ca Offline JP

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 02:32:59 PM
I dream of the day where I can go for an extended trip.

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 02:47:02 PM
it's actually quite ironic that when you have the time to go on extended trips you can't afford the necessities. when you can finally afford the necessities then either you have a boss that is riding you like a rented mule or you have a couple of those little humans that live in your house and eat your food without paying for anything

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 02:55:38 PM
it's actually quite ironic that when you have the time to go on extended trips you can't afford the necessities. when you can finally afford the necessities then either you have a boss that is riding you like a rented mule or you have a couple of those little humans that live in your house and eat your food without paying for anything

Haha... so true  :rofl:  And stealing your internet bandwidth.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:19 PM

Nice thread  :tu:  Makes me want to go bikepacking.

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 08:12:14 PM
well hopefully sir Hiraethus shall be our guiding light, our beacon of hope, on exploring the joys of bikepacking

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 09:27:17 PM
 :D

I'm very much an enthusiastic amateur. Two little humans that eat all my food also take most of my time so I only get out for a couple of trips a year. But I'd love to help you guys spend some money get out bikepacking if I can. :salute:

ca Offline JP

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 09:30:36 PM
Well, do I need a front pannier rack?

ca Offline JP

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:01 PM
I will take a pic of my ride

ca Offline JP

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 09:33:33 PM

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 07:57:29 AM
emmm can you go off road on that bike?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 01:56:22 PM
Well, do I need a front pannier rack?

No.  Bikepacking = rackless touring.  Strap some bags on and off you go.

ca Offline JP

Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 02:41:08 PM
Oh, okay.

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 01:26:37 PM
how do you handle morning coffee? skip it, cook it or do some voodoo to make it? and is an alcohol stove appropriate?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 08:52:10 AM
Sachets of instant and small pots/tubes of UHT milk. :cry:  I have carried filters, coffee bags and even an Aeropress but don't feel it's worth it.

I've tried a tiny alcohol stove but didn't get on with it. Currently use a Primus gas stove that fits into my mug, and the smallest gas cartridge you can get for it.

hr Offline styx

Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 12:39:24 PM
me thinks that the fancy feast stove will be getting another go. tore up 2 tins yesterday making 'em

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 11:05:42 PM
 :popcorn:

. . . . and more pics of bike/gear setups . . . .
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD