Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bikepacking

styx · 44 · 2445

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Bikepacking
Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:37 PM
:popcorn:

. . . . and more pics of bike/gear setups . . . .

:imws:

More pics please.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 04:40:52 PM
I'd love to go on a bikepacking trip some day. A friend and I were out riding a few weeks ago and encountered this couple on their bikes with little trailers. I started talking to both of them and it turns out they are from Scandanavia (I forget which country). They flew into New York with all their gear and are seeing how far they go in the States on their bikes.  :salute:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 07:26:00 PM
ok, a couple questions about gear -

those bags that hang off the bar, do they interfere with the brake/gear cables ? On my bike the cables doe't have a covering sheath so parts of the cables are exposed.

I'm very new to the more serious aspects of cycling, and theres lots for me to learn - first thing i did learn is cycling can get VERY expensive !

throughout my life I've only ever used 3 in 1 oil for chain/gear lubrication but having bought a (for me) expensive road bike, I'd like to now what you guys use to keep your machines lubricated and rust free ?

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

hr Offline styx

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 10:06:10 AM
well I have a change to get a 20L bag for low cost from Lidl. their stuff has held out quite good so another step taken
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 02:12:04 PM
....and that was a short lived idea. my always "wonderful" family just sprung a massive bill on my tab so that's fun  :rant: :rant: :twak: :twak: :bnghd: :bnghd: :poh:

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 05:45:45 AM
....and that was a short lived idea. my always "wonderful" family just sprung a massive bill on my tab so that's fun  :rant: :rant: :twak: :twak: :bnghd: :bnghd: :poh:

Sorry to hear it Styx :-\

hr Offline styx

Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 08:16:55 AM
on the bright side it was nice to have a reason to drink. not that i needed one but still nice to have had it. a glass of wild turkey 101 always brightens up my day

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:10 PM
Good article with lots of nice pics over on Singletrackworld: http://singletrackworld.com/2016/07/an-introduction-to-bikepacking/

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 08:34:14 PM
Bikepacking has recently become a very interesting idea to me.  My dad has a nice Trek from 10 years ago or so that he's giving me (my last bike was a cheapo road bike from college).  Adding a couple of bags to my existing backpacking gear could give me a whole new outdoor hobby, and extend the range of some of my overnight/weekend trips.  Glad to see others partaking in this as well!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 11:04:23 PM

those bags that hang off the bar, do they interfere with the brake/gear cables ? On my bike the cables doe't have a covering sheath so parts of the cables are exposed.

I'm very new to the more serious aspects of cycling, and theres lots for me to learn - first thing i did learn is cycling can get VERY expensive !

throughout my life I've only ever used 3 in 1 oil for chain/gear lubrication but having bought a (for me) expensive road bike, I'd like to now what you guys use to keep your machines lubricated and rust free ?

Sorry eamo, missed this earlier.  The bags can interfere with the cables - but they're normally ok.  You can normally just push the outer out of the way (it helps to make sure they're a little longer than normal), and run the exposed inners over the straps.  It's good to protect the paint on the frame where the bags attach or where the cables can rub with 'helicopter' tape.

It doesn't have to be expensive, but cycling is fashionable at the moment so there loads of nice stuff to waste your money on out there.

As for oil, 3-in-1 is OK but washes off easily.  I normally use Finish Line chain lubes - the Wet lube for the MTB and in the winter, the Dry lube in the summer so the dirt doesn't stick to it.  For cables and other exposed metal I use a spray lube with teflon - Weldtite TF2, I think it is, but GT85 works well too.  Asking a group of cyclists about which lube is best is a bit like starting a SAK vs LM discussion on here though...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 11:05:34 PM
Bikepacking has recently become a very interesting idea to me.  My dad has a nice Trek from 10 years ago or so that he's giving me (my last bike was a cheapo road bike from college).  Adding a couple of bags to my existing backpacking gear could give me a whole new outdoor hobby, and extend the range of some of my overnight/weekend trips.  Glad to see others partaking in this as well!

Excellent.  It's a great way to travel further than you perhaps could on foot, though I find I see less if I'm on the bike than when I'm walking.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 11:41:44 PM

Excellent.  It's a great way to travel further than you perhaps could on foot, though I find I see less if I'm on the bike than when I'm walking.

Yeah, that's a good point.  Definitely a place for both I think :tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:47 PM

Sorry eamo, missed this earlier.  The bags can interfere with the cables - but they're normally ok.  You can normally just push the outer out of the way (it helps to make sure they're a little longer than normal), and run the exposed inners over the straps.  It's good to protect the paint on the frame where the bags attach or where the cables can rub with 'helicopter' tape.

It doesn't have to be expensive, but cycling is fashionable at the moment so there loads of nice stuff to waste your money on out there.

As for oil, 3-in-1 is OK but washes off easily.  I normally use Finish Line chain lubes - the Wet lube for the MTB and in the winter, the Dry lube in the summer so the dirt doesn't stick to it.  For cables and other exposed metal I use a spray lube with teflon - Weldtite TF2, I think it is, but GT85 works well too.  Asking a group of cyclists about which lube is best is a bit like starting a SAK vs LM discussion on here though...

never occurred to me that the oil will wash off . . . explains a lot of rusty chains over the years :D :D

i got some lubricants off chainreactions in NI, i'll have a look at the Weldtite TF2 and GT85 to protect the cables etc.

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 09:57:31 PM
Some of it washes off, some of it's too sticky.  The Finish Line Wet lube is the one I use most, but it does get pretty mucky after a while.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%