Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fish River hike challenge

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Fish River hike challenge
Reply #60 on: August 05, 2016, 04:42:40 AM
Too bad so sad, heard today there's only fite wood from the 3rd day, so Jon Snow in all it's 605g of awesomeness got the cut  :cry:

(Image removed from quote.)

Been a sweet blade to have taken but if you are trying to lighten the load as much as possible then it is probably to big :-\ :tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: August 05, 2016, 08:57:35 AM
Only choice for a camera is my previous phone, some or other LG.
The camera actually sucks as witnessed by many of my photos on MTO, but at least the battery might make it.

Fortunately some members of our group have potable solar panels, better cameras, hiking GPS etc etc.......we'll just share out the photos afterwards.

Jon Snow's handle matches so nicely with the backpack.... :facepalm:

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #62 on: August 05, 2016, 10:31:09 AM
It is sad that Jon Snow will miss out, but you'll be glad about the weight savings when you hit the first hill. :) It all adds up, and every bit counts. I'm sure the Bushcraft Black will be more than enough knife for any wood prep you might encounter.

If you want to go to the next level of weight savings, try to share some heavy items with a buddy. I mean, does a hiking party of 5 people really need 5x full-size multi-tools, 5x first aid kits or 5x extra rope?  :whistle: As long as the group has one of each and maybe one backup it should be more than enough. On the other hand, sharing can be a bit tricky if you do not know your hiking buddies well...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:37:25 AM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: August 05, 2016, 12:42:48 PM
It is sad that Jon Snow will miss out, but you'll be glad about the weight savings when you hit the first hill. :) It all adds up, and every bit counts. I'm sure the Bushcraft Black will be more than enough knife for any wood prep you might encounter.

If you want to go to the next level of weight savings, try to share some heavy items with a buddy. I mean, does a hiking party of 5 people really need 5x full-size multi-tools, 5x first aid kits or 5x extra rope?  :whistle: As long as the group has one of each and maybe one backup it should be more than enough. On the other hand, sharing can be a bit tricky if you do not know your hiking buddies well...

Correct on both counts......

Funny story, a buddy who walked the Fish in June wanted to buy Jon Snow from me for his hike, I informed him it's not for sale and I suggested a Mora Bushcraft  :rofl:

On the 2nd point, our group is made up of a couple, another man and woman both married but not to each other.....and me the loner bachelor.

So..............the 2 guys who don't have a partner are control freaks, I wasn't born capable of going without carrying everything I need myself  :D
We are also both aware we'll end up having to help the unaccompanied lady.

I have to say it's been an eye opener watching the weight creep up.

I still need to add 1kg of Biltong and 1L of booze, and probably looking at loosing 1kg by going for Crocs over the other sandals.

Most men I've talked to load 23-25Kg for the Fish, can't help but wonder if I shouldn't be taking more food considering my size.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: August 05, 2016, 04:02:47 PM
The way I look at it is YES take more food since you'll either eat it or you can feed the others and eventually shed that carry weight. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: August 17, 2016, 08:44:49 AM
This time next week we should hopefully be in the shuttle to the drop off point.........I can't sit still anymore...

Been an extremely hectic 2 months, I don't have time to shop around and no money to buy willy nilly, money is finished now but fortunately it seems I made only one unnecessary, a thermal underlayer top....nothing serious.

I got a few last food items yesterday, chocolate bars, race food bars and isotonic  cooldrink powder to help with the brackish water.

Bad news is I weighed the lot and all together (but excluding 12 eggs  :facepalm:) I'm up to 29kg  :oops:
This does however include clothes I'll be wearing and 4.5l of water

I started shaving grams last night, the one extra bag of instant mash potato got the cut, ate one of the chocolate bars  :rofl: .........but not much else....

One thing that bothered me was my LM Core.........it's not a hiking MT  :facepalm: but my only choice since the only other options are a Skeletool (mostly useless for the scenario) and a SOG which weighs about the same as the Core....

I do have a prep sheet compiled by a person whose been down the Fish River many times, and he advised men's packs should be about 28Kg.

Since I'm the size of 2 and eat for 3 I don't see much choice.

:ahhh

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #66 on: August 17, 2016, 08:50:52 AM
Will/can you hunt or fish for any food on the trip?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: August 17, 2016, 08:54:01 AM
If you're serious about cutting weight there are a few items in the earlier pics that could be left at home.

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:11 PM
Will/can you hunt or fish for any food on the trip?

The "river" part in Fish River might be misleading......

Definitely no hunting in national parks, I was told there are Yellowfish in some pools but nothing you can depend on.

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 17, 2016, 01:06:25 PM
If you're serious about cutting weight there are a few items in the earlier pics that could be left at home.

Jon Snow got the cut, only the Mora is going along.

1.4kg sandals have been replaced bt 220g Crocs

The other items I've shown, excluding the Core and Mora. aren't even 1kg put together, I've removed some items.
What's left is:
Fire kit - too light and non-negotiable
Sawyer - included bag dumped and water purification drops take from 1st aid bag and added here.
Poncho+1xmetalized garbage bag.
Lifestraw.......extremely light and I don't feel like going without a backup.
Paracord
1 x ductape
Spare sunglasses - also weigh nothing and non-negotiable backup......I struggle without sunglasses.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #70 on: August 17, 2016, 01:49:18 PM
Good call on the Crocks...

29 kg without 12 eggs... ouch! Desperate times call for desperate measures...  :D Here are a few observations, but you might not like them...  :whistle:

- I would halve the amount of paracord/rope/duct tape...

- I would leave all stuff sacks, and other bags/containers that gear sells with. It all adds up.

- I would leave the magnesium bar and matches and fire kit pouch. A Bic lighter plus LMF as a backup should be fine. I am sure there will be a few more Bic lighters, matches etc. in your group....

- Are you cooking on a gas stove? If so, you actually just need something to throw a spark to light your stove... On the topic of gas stoves, I always end up taking too much spare fuel. If you can leave a spare gas canister at home it will save another 500g.

- Can you save weight on pots and pans etc? Cookware is heeaaavy.

- Can you use the poncho or garbage bag as a ground sheet, and leave the actual ground sheet?

- I would leave the Core and take the Skeletool plus a SAK... Or even just a SAK with pliers, if you have one. There is a first for everything, but in my experience I have never needed full sized pliers on a hike. Small pliers are suitable for the most common tasks, like gear repairs, thorns, knots etc.

Exciting times!  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:24:17 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: August 17, 2016, 02:13:14 PM
This is getting exciting :tu: I can only imagine how you feel now :o Once you get the first few meals in you the weight of the pack will be down some as well ;) It is encouraging that the pack will lighten as you travel (less food :D ) Good luck :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #72 on: August 17, 2016, 03:57:13 PM
Very exciting.  Brock O Lee has some great suggestions.  Keeping in mind Poncho has a terrific point as the first meal will lighten you pack as well as the second meal.

Its going to be an amazing trip.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 17, 2016, 04:28:42 PM

- I would halve the amount of paracord/rope/duct tape...

- I would leave all stuff sacks, and other bags/containers that gear sells with. It all adds up.

- I would leave the magnesium bar and matches and fire kit pouch. A Bic lighter plus LMF as a backup should be fine. I am sure there will be a few more Bic lighters, matches etc. in your group....

- Are you cooking on a gas stove? If so, you actually just need something to throw a spark to light your stove... On the topic of gas stoves, I always end up taking too much spare fuel. If you can leave a spare gas canister at home it will save another 500g.

- Can you save weight on pots and pans etc? Cookware is heeaaavy.

- Can you use the poncho or garbage bag as a ground sheet, and leave the actual ground sheet?

- I would leave the Core and take the Skeletool plus a SAK... Or even just a SAK with pliers, if you have one. There is a first for everything, but in my experience I have never needed full sized pliers on a hike. Small pliers are suitable for the most common tasks, like gear repairs, thorns, knots etc.

Exciting times!  :tu:

All suggestions welcome  :salute:

100% on the paracord, even though TBH it feels like farting against thunder.
The duct tape is from a small roll transferred to a card, it's meant for emergency boot repair and I would not feel comfortable with less......already took the 2nd rool out

Only one extremely light stuff bag for my food, due to the layout of the bag I see this as the minimum requirement to organize the main compartment. 

I do have a gas stove, only one gas canister, but the plastic container of the burner is on my mind......problem being they ride in a side pocket and the burner is fragile....

Cookware I the following, all stainless steel:
-Stanley 700ml cooking pot.....the upright type.
-Coleman cooking pot, lid (=pan) .......the smurf handle of these severely bug me, but no alternative...
-SS double-walled mug
-Esbit titanium folding knife, fork and spoon

Regarding the MT, I don't have other options, can't afford to buy any now, and my reasoning was simple:  The MT is most likely there for the saw, the awl, I have 2 other knives and probably not much need for pliers....
The Skeletool combined with the Opinel saw could work....

The problem is actually very simple. the first day is the worst, the decent down into the canyon is killer. 

My food parcel for the first day will remove double the weight save by all these efforts........and a magnesium bar weighs almost nothing  :rofl:

I got advice to dump most of my water at the start and fill up down at the river.....easy way to shed 3kg, but I'm not comfortable with doing that......   

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #74 on: August 17, 2016, 08:24:40 PM
Hey every gram counts and everything adds up... Have you cut off your tooth brush handle yet? Or the extra few cm's of useless webbing off your pack?  :D In fact, if you carry a FB like a Mora Bushcraft Black and a firesteel, why do you even need the gas burner?  >:D

I'm pulling your socks a little bit, but it is interesting to see with how little weight the 'ultralight hiker crowd' cope with...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:25:53 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: August 17, 2016, 08:24:59 PM
Walking sticks......

1 x Big Stick a la Ray Mears...........came from a tree, no arguments, I weigh 120kg, nothing sold in a shop stops my fall. This stick has been with me many places.

1 x store-bought P-O-S.....weighs nothing, there as a back-up and to make an improvised tent.

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: August 17, 2016, 08:27:50 PM
Hey every gram counts and everything adds up... Have you cut off your tooth brush handle yet? Or the extra few cm's of useless webbing off your pack?  :D In fact, if you carry a FB like a Mora Bushcraft Black and a firesteel, why do you even need the gas burner?  >:D

I'm pulling your socks a little bit, but it is interesting to see with how little these ultralight hikers get on with...

Some say no wood left till day 3.......some  >:D

Don't go there........I plan to grow me beard longer, loose 30kg's more and stroll through au naturel before I'm 50  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: August 17, 2016, 08:31:22 PM
gas stove:

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:43 PM
Booze of choice:

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #79 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:48 PM
Nice stove, bad case... :)

This looks like an interesting site:
http://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics/

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: August 17, 2016, 08:44:52 PM
.....decanted into another bottle of course  >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:32 PM
Nice stove, bad case... :)

This looks like an interesting site:
http://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics/

Noted for future reference  :salute:

My salary will hit the bank same day we go into the canyon, so for the time being less is the only way to go  :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #82 on: August 18, 2016, 08:33:05 AM
You probably have this sorted but one thing I try to do is pack some emergency food that doesn't require cooking.

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: August 18, 2016, 08:48:52 AM
I've made up day packs that now contain the following:
-Foil pack of Tuna
-100g of dried mango strips
-100g of almonds
-200g biltong
-3xRehidrats
-1 or 2 rolls of sweets (SuperC)
-Some have pack of pitted dates, other a 100g pack of dried apple.

I plan on 3 boiled eggs and coffee for breakfast.

The biltong is separate but there is 200g per day which could be snacks or added to the mash for dinner if I don't feel like soya "mince"

I'll take out a one pack per day and snacks as we go.

It's actually a ridiculous amount  of food :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #84 on: August 18, 2016, 12:24:18 PM
What about checking out the local shops and picking up a dozen or so large helium balloons?  That might help lighten the pack a bit for the first day or two!   :D

It's been so great watching you prepare to do this.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, I am super jealous of this adventure and I really do wish I was going with you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: August 19, 2016, 08:39:03 AM
............Can't afford that much Helium!  :rofl:

Thanks Grant, I've been a bit lax with the pics on this one, but hopefully many when we get back.

It's a kicker that I have nothing to do but clean my flat and walk the dogs, Monday I still have to go to work, only Tuesday do we leave!

I'm extremely thankful for how things turned out, the day I got that call it seemed impossible, it's been financially ruinous, but on the 25th I pay my first of 54 installments on my new car, so it wouldn't have been possible after.
Now I have most of the equipment you could realistically need and looking forward to many more hikes.

Also, with a few changes when I get back, Bug Out Bag sorted!  :woohoo:
Few jerry cans of petrol and another spare.......Bug Out Vehicle sorted!  :rofl:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #86 on: August 19, 2016, 06:51:21 PM
............Can't afford that much Helium!  :rofl:

Thanks Grant, I've been a bit lax with the pics on this one, but hopefully many when we get back.

It's a kicker that I have nothing to do but clean my flat and walk the dogs, Monday I still have to go to work, only Tuesday do we leave!

I'm extremely thankful for how things turned out, the day I got that call it seemed impossible, it's been financially ruinous, but on the 25th I pay my first of 54 installments on my new car, so it wouldn't have been possible after.
Now I have most of the equipment you could realistically need and looking forward to many more hikes.

Also, with a few changes when I get back, Bug Out Bag sorted!  :woohoo:
Few jerry cans of petrol and another spare.......Bug Out Vehicle sorted!  :rofl:

That's ok, you are busy with prep work.  I'll bet we will get lots of pictures when you are recovering!   :ahhh

I'm glad to hear the vehicle is working out so far, and good luck with the payments- I know what a pain in the arse that can be.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 22, 2016, 08:43:52 AM
I've repacked my bag several times this weekend, realised my bilting is a bit wet (the Eland at least) so that's still sitting on a tray.....

I got everything together and came to a very sobering 32kg......  :facepalm:

We had another get together  yesterday afternoon where bags were unpacked, and I culled several items, mostly clothes.

Lifestraw got the cut, Sawyer will have to do....
Garbage bags are staying home....

Anyway, plan is to empty all except 2 of my water bottles for the descent, that should leave me with 26kg which is more reasonable.

We're leaving tomorrow morning at 7am, just over 700km to Ai-Ais.............and I still have to work today!  :facepalm:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #88 on: August 22, 2016, 08:54:37 AM
The things you have culled don't sound like they would be heavy....

Anyway, good luck!  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: August 22, 2016, 12:23:59 PM
The things you have culled don't sound like they would be heavy....

That exact thought was what was blocking me, I weighed many items, but how do you weigh clothes.....never bothered since I went as light as possible.
I'm large, so my clothes are large and it all adds up.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%