Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Preppers, what do you prep for?

Kampfer · 164 · 7753

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Preppers, what do you prep for?
Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 12:49:01 PM
A weapon isn't a substitute for brains though. And in our area there are as much shotguns as AK47s, full auto. Thousands of them, from former Communist countries, mainly Albania, are in the hands of outlaws, terrorists, but also local survivalists, mainly people in Crete, where they have that love for guns to challenge a redneck. And Mani also. Did you know that towerhouses in Mani had their personal artillery? Mainly old bronze guns from the Napoleonic era, but they really had.
Magnums are rare here on the other hand. Nice gun.
Guns are nice, but peace amd logic is better.

I'm not going to have this conversation.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #31 on: June 26, 2016, 01:05:09 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: June 26, 2016, 01:08:38 PM

That said I like kits and making kits. So I have a get home kit, survival kit and FAK.
Change K to T, then we are on the same page.  :D

:think:

And some great tits:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 05:08:07 PM

That said I like kits and making kits. So I have a get home kit, survival kit and FAK.

(Image removed from quote.)

And some great tits:

:rofl:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 05:15:27 PM
Not prepping for any specific disaster, but I try to maintain three to four weeks worth of food and water, first aid supplies, batteries, etc.

Just in case.
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 06:15:03 PM
The fat reserves thing is a reality, not a myth. During the Nazi occupation here the thin (and thin kids in particular) were the first to die, by the thousands. Ask survival speSmurfpillsts, grizzly and polar bears.

Great news, I'm stocked up on MAE's!!!

(Meals Already Eaten)  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 07:11:49 PM

And some great tits:

No! :facepalm:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 07:43:17 PM
One year ago this past February we had freezing rain that set on everything for a week then the rain that was suppose to wash all the ice away turned into more freezing g rain instead of regular rain :facepalm: it was early that Saturday morning and things started snapping. Whole trees uprooted and power poles snapped at the ground from the weight. When they cam and looked at our area officials said it looked like an F4 tornado had hit the 4 county wide area :ahhh As soon as I got up that morning my wife had told me she already was realizing how bad the situation was. I had to spring into action. We had a cooler so I put ice from outside in it and started putting g our refrigerator food in it. Thankfully it was cold that week and the food stayed at a good temp in the cooler. We kept a thermometer in it to keep check on the temps. I lit our propane fireplace and started warming the house up as our central heat and air had been off couple hours already. We filled our tub up with water in case the city water went off. Thankfully the water stayed on. We have a propane hot water heater as well so we also had running and hot water. I got out all of our flashlights and batteries out and got all of our supplies together. We cooked out on the front porch with our propane grill and other than the power being out for 8 days and the roads being a mess we handled the situation rather well. Of course I have since added a few things and revised a bit of my gear. I feel as though we did rather well though.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 08:01:58 PM
One year ago this past February we had freezing rain that set on everything for a week then the rain that was suppose to wash all the ice away turned into more freezing g rain instead of regular rain :facepalm: it was early that Saturday morning and things started snapping. Whole trees uprooted and power poles snapped at the ground from the weight. When they cam and looked at our area officials said it looked like an F4 tornado had hit the 4 county wide area :ahhh As soon as I got up that morning my wife had told me she already was realizing how bad the situation was. I had to spring into action. We had a cooler so I put ice from outside in it and started putting g our refrigerator food in it. Thankfully it was cold that week and the food stayed at a good temp in the cooler. We kept a thermometer in it to keep check on the temps. I lit our propane fireplace and started warming the house up as our central heat and air had been off couple hours already. We filled our tub up with water in case the city water went off. Thankfully the water stayed on. We have a propane hot water heater as well so we also had running and hot water. I got out all of our flashlights and batteries out and got all of our supplies together. We cooked out on the front porch with our propane grill and other than the power being out for 8 days and the roads being a mess we handled the situation rather well. Of course I have since added a few things and revised a bit of my gear. I feel as though we did rather well though.

Well done P65...to me, that's what "prepping" is all about...   :hatsoff:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 08:26:33 PM
Being ready for a likely emergency is one thing, but "preppers" worry about unlikely scenarios because they're paranoid lunatics.

• Likely emergency: temporary power outage, natural disasters are likely to happen in your given area, etc,
  • Unlikely Scenarios: EMP pulse bringing down the power grid, virus outbreak, gub'mint takeover, zombies, terrorist hordes, World War 3, etc.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 08:29:17 PM
 :popcorn:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 08:33:37 PM
I´m not a preper in the "american style" ...

But my hometown got flooded about three weeks ago. We had no electricity and no drinking water. I was lucky enough to have a gas-cooker and also drinking water. Rice, potatoes and noodles are also always at home.

On such a situation it is great to have some backup. But a bad thing was the drinking water as there was no pressure in the pipes, so not even the toilet worked the way it should do.

We have to cook it even until now, because the supply is still not ok.

We had massive damage, and even seven people died. It really sucked and still does.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 08:34:08 PM

Thank you sir :hatsoff:

I was glad that we had what we did but I could have been more prepared  ;) I hope if it happens again (hopefully never) that I am more prepared though :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 08:36:14 PM
I´m not a preper in the "american style" ...

But my hometown got flooded about three weeks ago. We had no electricity and no drinking water. I was lucky enough to have a gas-cooker and also drinking water. Rice, potatoes and noodles are also always at home.

On such a situation it is great to have some backup. But a bad thing was the drinking water as there was no pressure in the pipes, so not even the toilet worked the way it should do.

We have to cook it even until now, because the supply is still not ok.

We had massive damage, and even seven people died. It really sucked and still does.

I had forgotten about this Humppa and I am very sorry about that. I hope that everything gets continually better in your area :tu:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 10:48:17 PM
:popcorn:
What are you always waiting for? And isn't there some more glorious snack other than popcorn? Pasatempos? Heliosporos? Straggalia? Some mezedes?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 10:56:41 PM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline MrsSabrina

• Trying to Survive after Death!
Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 11:22:43 PM
we need to prep for the zombie apocalypse hehe  :rofl:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 11:53:51 PM
That's a nice regional passtime DKS

If only we had a smiley eating sunseeds...

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 01:49:14 AM

I was glad that we had what we did but I could have been more prepared  ;) I hope if it happens again (hopefully never) that I am more prepared though :tu:
What did you add/change?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:05 AM
Recently a wild fire broke out 40 miles from my area.  Several thousand acres burned and mandatory evacuations were in place.  The evacuees were out of their homes for 6 days.   

The scenarios for which I am "prepping" for is not unlike those who experience natural disasters world wide.  Earthquake, fire, and even flooding can and do happen enough to have a plan in place.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MrsSabrina

• Trying to Survive after Death!
Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 03:23:37 AM
Recently a wild fire broke out 40 miles from my area.  Several thousand acres burned and mandatory evacuations were in place.  The evacuees were out of their homes for 6 days.   

The scenarios for which I am "prepping" for is not unlike those who experience natural disasters world wide.  Earthquake, fire, and even flooding can and do happen enough to have a plan in place.

omg how scary

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 03:41:58 AM

Totally agree!  Just a simple case of having a plan for a local emergency and being prepared...really nothing to do with being a "prepper"!   :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:33 AM
Not really much of a prepper like what I see on TV, but we do have contingencies in case things happen.

In my part of the globe, what I'm afraid of is that the end of the El Nino season will mark the beginning of the La Nina season.  What will happen if another typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda comes and hits the capital Manila this time?  For me that's a scenario with a higher percentage of happening than say, "the big earthquake" or an unknown virus spreading simply because it happened before already.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 03:44:40 AM
Exactly. I do not consider myself a prepper. I do like Dr Prepper on occasion though.

Yeah...couldn't help myself there.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 03:45:53 AM
Exactly. I do not consider myself a prepper. I do like Dr Prepper on occasion though.

Yeah...couldn't help myself there.  :D

:rofl:    :rofl:    :whistle:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 04:20:13 AM

What did you add/change?

I added a 60 day lantern by UST and I use it all the time now :cheers: A car booster that can also charge a cell phone several times :tu: I definitely make sure we have plenty of propane in the winter months more often :D Thankfully we had enough to run the fireplace the whole time and the house probably stayed warmer than if we ran our central heat and air :D I have several more batteries stockpiled now as well. I have better/quicker access to a gas generator as well ;) We also keep a bit more non refrigerated food that can be grilled easier as well.  I have since bought a new grill that has a side burner so we can cook a bit better as well (the other one was just a smaller grill with no burner) :cheers: We actually went through the whole ordeal much better than most people though, even though we were probably some of the last people to get power back :cheers: After a few days I was able to start going back to work and brought home some non necessities like a mifi device that we used on a tablet for internet and a generator that we used to run some lights and TV in the night time after about 4 days :D

I did have to put myself in a different mind set (survival mode if you will) as soon as it all happened though or else I don't think things would have went as smoothly :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 04:23:26 AM
Also of note the ordeal was declared a state of emergency and federal aide was sent in to help people in need and help to clean the mess up :tu: I was glad that I was prepared enough to not need the aide so other people could get help that really needed it :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 04:57:35 AM

+1

We live under wildfire threat most of the year and in 2016, we've have had more close calls with tornadoes/flooding than I can remember in my whole life. Bags/meds/gear/food/water are ready if we have to go and not get back for a while.

Lose everything just once, and you'll ignore the people that tell you you're paranoid.
house.JPG
* house.JPG (Filesize: 165.81 KB)
barn1adj.jpg
* barn1adj.jpg (Filesize: 45.87 KB)
Dadsworkshopadj.jpg
* Dadsworkshopadj.jpg (Filesize: 49.27 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 06:30:57 AM
On my list is propane as well.  It has a longer shelf life and several appliance can be run on propane including generators.  Water is the hard thing to store.  I'd love to have a rain harvesting system.  I'd also need to live in an area that actually rain first tho  :facepalm:.       
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 07:36:02 AM
we need to prep for the zomberg modpocalypse hehe  :rofl:

Fixed.   :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!