Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave Pliers problems

gb Offline langforp

• New User
Leatherman Wave Pliers problems
on: June 30, 2016, 05:37:17 PM
Hi all, yesterday received a brand new Wave from an Amazon UK market place seller. Very disappointed with the quality of it & especially compared to my 20 year old LM. The pliers stick open, the left hand plier jaw rubs on the inside of the handle & the plier pivot is oval rather than round (see pic). Is this now normal for LM, or was I just unlucky?
Leatherman.jpg
* Leatherman.jpg (Filesize: 60.57 KB)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Leatherman Wave Pliers problems
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 06:07:17 PM
Unlucky on the pivot. The pliers sticking open is normal (sadly) with every single "new" version Wave I have had (had a bunch). The pliers rubbing has also happened on all the newer model Waves I have had.

Is the pivot actually causing any issues?

Its no secret the quality of Leathermans have been decreasing over the years while the price has been increasing. Sadly enough it will probably never change and only get worse unless something serious happens over there. I still love my Leathermans and appreciate the quality of the older model much more now. I'm just not going to sugar coat what is happening. Just one mans opinion I guess.

Welcome to the forum by the way!  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:11:16 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 06:54:32 PM
I think the Capt has pretty much covered it.  Somehow, the new way Leatherman is assembling these tools is leading to more fit and finish issues.  The good news is, they are very good about trying to make it right.

As for my ALX, it's got so many rubs, dents, electrical burns all earned honestly, that I have a hard time faulting the Wave/Charge line up too much.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:02:53 PM
Welcome to :MTO: langforp

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:04:41 PM
I only have one new Wave and I don't have this problem but have seen this on some of the other models with the same type plier head :-\ If it is causing a problem I would contact LM USA and see if it would be better to send to them or Whitby (I think that is the UK distributor still) :think: Sorry about the bad luck hope you can get it sorted :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 07:05:23 PM
Mr. Whippy how is it going buddy :cheers: Long time no see :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 07:37:37 PM

Thanks man!

I pop in from time to time, but the last year or so has been running me ragged.  Still kicking and still doing the MTO thing though!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:44 PM

Thanks man!

I pop in from time to time, but the last year or so has been running me ragged.  Still kicking and still doing the MTO thing though!

Good to hear from you buddy :tu: I know what you mean til sometime last year I have been extra busy myself for past while myself :cheers:

gb Offline langforp

• New User
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:14:55 PM
Wow that was quick! Sounds like I was unlucky on the pivot. I don't think it is causing an issue apart from the fact that now I know it is there it will annoy me every time I open it. For the money these things cost they should be right. I am going to return it to the seller as faulty & reorder. My 20 year old LM has been perfect from day one & is only now starting to be loose in the joints etc. Thanks for all your help much appreciated

gb Offline langforp

• New User
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:17:10 PM
I almost forgot, thanks for the welcome to the forum

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 08:24:42 PM
Wow that was quick! Sounds like I was unlucky on the pivot. I don't think it is causing an issue apart from the fact that now I know it is there it will annoy me every time I open it. For the money these things cost they should be right. I am going to return it to the seller as faulty & reorder. My 20 year old LM has been perfect from day one & is only now starting to be loose in the joints etc. Thanks for all your help much appreciated

Hope the new one is up to snuff   :tu:

Welcome aboard, hope you stick around.  :cheers:

The PST was my first and only Leatherman for almost 20 years.

Come join us in the PST,PST II Owners Club

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 09:02:35 PM

Hope the new one is up to snuff   :tu:

Welcome aboard, hope you stick around.  :cheers:

The PST was my first and only Leatherman for almost 20 years.

Come join us in the PST,PST II Owners Club

What Steve said :tu:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 05:40:31 AM
G'day bloke,

All of those things are par for the course,

However they don't affect use any. When you're on the job, and you need your LM Wave to perform, it'll do it handsomely.
It's only when you're sitting with a brew and fiddling with the tool that these quirks are an aggravation.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 07:35:56 AM
G'day bloke,

All of those things are par for the course,

However they don't affect use any. When you're on the job, and you need your LM Wave to perform, it'll do it handsomely.
It's only when you're sitting with a brew and fiddling with the tool that these quirks are an aggravation.
Or, when you pay $100 for a tool...

But I understand what you're saying, I agree for the most part.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gb Offline langforp

• New User
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:06:15 AM
Wish they were $100, here in UK they're £100, even more reason why they should be right

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 09:56:07 AM
Or, when you pay $100 for a tool...

Much Like Langforp, I'm paying premiums for my LM as well, my pain when it's "not right" is twice what anyone in the US feels, 

(also, for the sake of saying it, if it was $100 in my currency, it would make a LM close to the cheapest tool in my arsenal, except for maybe some hammers)

but after a year with me, any Multi is going to be so covered with burs, burns, slag, and paint, how pretty it starts off is a moot point.

(and since Waves are damn near 100% stainless steel, I can tidy it up neat as you please and you won't know what dark secrets it has until you get a few drinks into it)

I'm not being an apologist for LM - if it's not right it's not right, and it's up to you to decide if the product delivered is the same as the product advertised, I'm just providing a bit of perspective for expectations.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%