Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Happy to be a Part of the Family

us Offline Swiss Guy

Happy to be a Part of the Family
on: July 04, 2016, 10:04:02 PM
I started my unhealthy obsession with multi-tools about 14 years ago when I bought my first Leatherman Wave (Gen 1). After the Wave came the Charge TI and then the Charge TTI when it came out. In addition, between the time I got the two Charges, I had picked up the SwissTool Spirit S because I had so many good things about the Victorinox multi-tool. I was definitely a plier-based multi-tool guy and did not own any Swiss Army knives. That is not to say that I did not purchase any Swiss Army knives. I had given my girlfriend several 58mm Swiss Army knives to carry on her keychain. She had the Classic, Rambler and Manager models. Of those three, she preferred the Manager and carries that one on her keychain to his day (11 years later). But the Leatherman tools were man tools and the Swiss Army knives were for women and children. I had no use for girly baby tools.

Having the heavy Leatherman beast sitting in a sheath on my belt all day did not make sense because the implements I used most were the knife, scissors and Phillips screwdriver; the pliers were used only rarely. So practicality won out and I got myself a Leatherman Squirt P4. Yes, it was still a manly tool because the P4 is a Leatherman and it had pliers, but it was small enough to fit on my keychain and it could do most of what my full-size Leatherman could do. My larger Leatherman tools were relegated to the trunk of my car, garage and in my nightstand drawer.

The Squirt P4, and later, the PS4 did a great job for years. However, they added extra weight to my keychain and I was trying to lighten up my keychain by moving things to my pockets. This meant I had to get more practical and start thinking about how best to organize things to make the most use of space with the least amount of weight. As part of my EDC, I had a pocket knife, keychain pen and pry tool. I was looking to add some keychain tweezers as well but I was trying to lighten the keychain, not add things to it.

I was browsing the Internet for multi-tool options a couple months ago when I came across a site named MultiTool.org and read a thread that mentioned Plus models of the Swiss Army knives. I was intrigued because on the Plus model, it holds a pen, pin, and miniature screwdriver in addition to other things I wanted like a toothpick, tweezers, knife blade and I could use the bottle opener has a pry tool.

Off to eBay I went and got myself a Climber. I also ordered some Plus scales to go with it. After getting the Climber, I removed several items from my keychain (but kept the PS4 in my pocket for the pliers) and put the Climber in my back pocket. Well, if the Climber is good, the Huntsman must be better because it adds a saw blade. Off to eBay. Well, if the Huntsman is good, the Ranger must be better because it adds a file. Off to eBay. The Handyman adds pliers. eBay. Now, in addition to those SAKs, I have two Compacts, two Climbers, two Explorers, two Champions, two Cybertool 34s and three Swiss Champs. All of them, except for a couple with the StayGlow scales, have the Plus scales on them. Currently, I carry a Swiss Champ on a belt sheath most days and a Compact when I want to be more discrete. I no longer carry the PS4 because my Swiss Champ has pliers. Also, Swiss Army knives are manly tools that do manly things for manly men. However, whenever I show off my Swiss Champ, I make sure to open the pliers first...just in case.

I have been a member of some other tool and blade forums, but I did not post on those sites very often. The people seem friendly enough, but all of the rules seemed a bit stifling and almost arbitrary. "So... we can't use the word "zombie" anymore?" I didn't realize how inviting a forum could feel until I started visiting MultiTool.org. I didn't get the sense that I needed to read the rules every visit to get updated on the newest limitations on what I could and could not post. The threads on MT.o would regularly go off topic without moderators jumping in and threatening to ban people. Heck, the moderators on MT.o would help to send threads off topic. MT.o seemed like a place where a bunch of friends with a common hobby got together to discuss that hobby. The conversations were organic rather than forced to abide by the topic heading. I have seen posts on MT.o where someone asked if their knife/pliers/screwdriver qualified as a multi-tool. Rather than the "No, stupid" I had expected, the answers received were essentially, "It's close enough." Friends talking to friends.

But that is not the reason I joined. I joined because whenever I would use my Swiss Army knives for something creative, I would think, "I should post that on MultiTool.org." Then I would realize I did not have an account and I would just have to tell my girlfriend, who would then roll her eyes and give me a sarcastic compliment. Oh, and there are the badges. I must get some badges!

Chris
The right tool is the one you have on you

hr Offline Subterranean

Re: Happy to be a Part of the Family
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:08:54 PM
Welcome!

Indeed, this forum feels like home. I haven't seen any other large international forum with such a good / friendly vibe as this one.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:13:18 PM
Welcome aboard   :tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:22:27 PM
Welcome aboard! :multi:

That's quite the introductory post. Sounds like you'll fit in well around here. :)

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 10:43:17 PM
welcome to the family sanitarium,  we are all a bit crazy, but we are family around here
If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 11:03:56 PM
Hi and welcome Chris!

I don't know what Detrons on about....the rest of you may be crazy,but I'm nermal!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:07:39 PM
Welcome aboard! :cheers: Great intro post. We really do try to keep it like a family here, and it's a lot of fun. But, Mods derailing threads? :o Never!

Mets are losing 3-0 BTW...... ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 11:31:22 PM
Welcome bud!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 11:38:40 PM
Welcome aboard  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 11:39:07 PM
Nice intro and Welcome. 

You certainly have some of the heavy hitter as far as LMs are concerned.  The Spirit is no slouch either.  I have a P4 on regular duty and cannot say enough about it.  To me the Swisschamp is king of SAKs and while the pliers are more "super" tweezers they are very functional in everything I've thrown at them.

Be prepared for the GF to give you strange looks when you begin taking random photos of your tools.  You are encouraged to post about anything and as you well know we LOVE photos and actions shots of your tools in whatever they find themselves doing.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 12:00:33 AM
Be prepared for the GF to give you strange looks when you begin taking random photos of your tools.

I already got one today when I took a picture for the "What did you use your SAK on today?" thread. She didn't even know I had signed up and she said, "You are going to post that online somewhere, aren't you?" I suppose I should start getting used to it. Thanks for the welcome.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:32 AM
They'll get used to it or strain their eyes from the constant rolling  ::)

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:45 AM
All these posts and no pictures.

But welcome to the forum bud :D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 12:46:07 AM
welcome to the forum :cheers:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 12:46:58 AM
All these posts and no pictures.

But welcome to the forum bud :D

An excellent point!

:worthless:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 01:54:52 AM
Okay, here is a quick image of most of my collection. Some of my tools are in places that would be a little too difficult to get right now, like the Wave in my gf's car.

Going through my various drawers, bags and pouches, I realized i have more than I thought I did. I forgot about the Alox Minichamp and the Leatherman Style PS and CS.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:11 AM
First, welcome to the forum.   :cheers:   Second, have another badge mate.   :tu:   :tu:   Third, you said zombie so instaban incoming.   :crash:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 03:14:30 AM
Nice little collection you have going there. :tu: I do notice a lack of Flicky Gerber goodness though. We'll have to work on you.......

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 03:32:10 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: Best forum anywhere :D

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 06:09:58 AM
First, welcome to the forum.   :cheers:   Second, have another badge mate.   :tu:   :tu:   Third, you said zombie so instaban incoming.   :crash:

Thank you for the welcome and my second badge.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:12:17 AM by Swiss Guy »

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 06:12:02 AM
Nice little collection you have going there. :tu: I do notice a lack of Flicky Gerber goodness though. We'll have to work on you.......

I used to have a Gerber but ... well, I already posted a thread about not liking Alox SAKs so I am not going to push my luck with Gerber. However, just like with Alox SAKs, I do not dislike them, there just doesn't seem to be one that fits my taste yet.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 07:18:57 AM
Welcome to MTo SG

Wait - oh no - We have another SG - SAK Guy - Oh well full names I guess

Loved your first post and the romp through your last 14 years of multitool usage and collection
It was very funny in parts (real man tools !!) and also had the long suffering, slightly sceptical gf (but secret MT user) making guest appearances.

I love my LMs too, but SAKs more - So particularly loved the slow transition from LM to SAK - and also from bigger to smaller.
BTW - That seems to be happening to a lot of us recently!!

I think you (and we) will have a lot of fun here  :)  :salute:  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 08:02:05 AM
welcome to the show mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 08:35:03 PM
Welcome aboard!  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 08:40:49 PM
Hi and welcome Chris!

I don't know what Detrons on about....the rest of you may be crazy,but I'm nermal!

Yes, you are! That's why we love you, kirky!

Show content

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 10:34:25 PM
Hi and welcome Chris!

Yes, you are! That's why we love you, kirky!

Show content

That was to easy and yet how many posts went by before somebody caught it ??? :facepalm: :rofl:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 11:55:00 PM
Glad to have you aboard. Good looking collection and great story. :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 03:46:01 AM
I will say that when I read that SAKs are for women, my hand was over the BAN button!   :twak:

But then I remembered how many SAKs my girlfriend has, and how she carried a Climber on a daily basis... and a Ladybug and a Style PS!

Be prepared for the GF to give you strange looks when you begin taking random photos of your tools.

I already got one today when I took a picture for the "What did you use your SAK on today?" thread. She didn't even know I had signed up and she said, "You are going to post that online somewhere, aren't you?" I suppose I should start getting used to it. Thanks for the welcome.

That's just the beginning.  While visiting the girlfriend's family over the weekend I had to explain to her father why I needed him to take a picture of me opening a bottle of hard root beer with a multitool.....  ::)

The Bottle Opener Challenge doesn't really translate well into "normal" society....

I'm glad you like the forum- we have all worked hard over the years to make it what it is.  We really only have three rules here- keep it family friendly, no politics and no religion.  Some folks run forums so that only certain opinions can survive- I don't believe in that.  I think a forum needs to be allowed to grow any way it wants- and as soon as you start stifling different opinions you no longer had a forum, you have an againstum.

There's a phrase I haven't used in a while!   :whistle:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 04:04:59 AM
Welcome to the forums Chris!  Great picture of your growing collection, great intro, and don't worry about expressing your love/or lack of love for Alox, Gerber, or anything else! 

Everybody here has an opinion     :think:   about something SAK- or MUT-related and rarely are they afraid to share the opinions   :whistle:   ...but they also have a lot of knowledge, so you're bound to learn and see new stuff all the time.  It's a great place to hangout!   :2tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%