Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small shoulder bag?

es Offline Sparkydave

Small shoulder bag?
on: July 05, 2016, 09:13:39 PM
Anyone carry a small shoulder bag around? I have a ripcurl one that carries my wallet keys phone charger battery pack spare knife or multi and a torch small note book and maybe paper work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Small shoulder bag?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:14:48 PM
I have a one shoulder bag, but am currently looking to switch things around and make it into a small backpack..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:28:23 PM
I have two shoulder bags, which are my EDC carry (I prefer them over backpacks, and I find them more versatile and practical for quick access)

These two

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline ewokmode

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:11:54 AM
I've been carrying a rover by red rock outdoor for about a year now and it's held up nicely, no tearing or coming apart at any seams. Look it up on Amazon. Highly recommended.  I have 2 kids and it comes in handy by carrying a FAK, iPad, and heck even diapers. Plenty of room for edc items.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:06:05 AM
I've been carrying a rover by red rock outdoor for about a year now and it's held up nicely, no tearing or coming apart at any seams. Look it up on Amazon. Highly recommended.  I have 2 kids and it comes in handy by carrying a FAK, iPad, and heck even diapers. Plenty of room for edc items.

Just don't mix up your pockets- Huggies are a real pain to try and check your email on....

I have a few shoulder bags but lately I have been more interested in sling bags like this one:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64468.0.html

I do have a laptop bag that I carry as a shoulder bag- it is a Maxpedition Tactical Operator bag and it handles pretty well everything I have thrown at it for years.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:24:18 AM
Look into maxpedition Malaga.  Great little bag that has serious holding power when necessary. I carry mine quite a bit. Built solid.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 08:38:15 AM
Here's a pic of my over the shoulder, and then the one I'm working on,

It basically started off as a BIG backpack, but then I cut the one BIG section out, I kept the expandable part but cut it to size and also the small section, this way I can carry the little stuff I have but if while out I come across something I can open up the expandable part and toss it in rather then carrying it by hand, unless I can hook it to the wife's scooter, then no need,, :whistle:
JR
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 201.24 KB)
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:35:50 AM
The smallest one I use regularly is right in classic murse territory, I guess. Fjällräven bag, sized for DIN A5 contents. Perfect for a big phone, a book, and some EDC goodies. Discontinued, I think, but it's just your basic tiny shoulder bag in Fjällrävens usual G-1000 fabric.

I have never bought anything from the following store, it was just the first picture I could find: http://www.campz.de/fjaellraeven-travel-small-pouch-black-284102.html

Yes, it's tiny, but I get around by walking most of the time. Carrying around big stuff gets old pretty quickly. :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 03:33:55 PM
The smallest one I use regularly is right in classic murse territory, I guess. Fjällräven bag, sized for DIN A5 contents. Perfect for a big phone, a book, and some EDC goodies. Discontinued, I think, but it's just your basic tiny shoulder bag in Fjällrävens usual G-1000 fabric.

I have never bought anything from the following store, it was just the first picture I could find: http://www.campz.de/fjaellraeven-travel-small-pouch-black-284102.html

Yes, it's tiny, butI get around by walking most of the time. Carrying around big stuff gets old pretty quickly. :)
Totally! Neither the wife or I drive due to medical, and we have to go places all the time so it's good to be prepared but sucks not being able to just to toss the bag in the back seat and forget it..
  Heck back when I could drive I kept a HUGE(like 40gal) tote TOTALLY full of stuff besides the things for needed for the vehicle.. That thing omg, had to weigh at least 50lbs, but it came in handy a few times!
JR

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:55 PM
My EDC bag for over a year has been a Maxpedition Lunada. I've given it quite a beating, but the only thing that gives it away as used is some scuffing on the drainage grommet.
Here it is decked out with its pouches;

On the other side I keep a molle pouch, in which is stored whatever large MT I'm packing that day. When I'm at work, it's a Gerber MP600 Pro Scout with the blade removed.

I have a new bag on the way this very moment. I'll probably post about it eventually.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 07:33:46 PM
My EDC bag for over a year has been a Maxpedition Lunada. I've given it quite a beating, but the only thing that gives it away as used is some scuffing on the drainage grommet.

(Image removed from quote.)

On the other side I keep a molle pouch, in which is stored whatever large MT I'm packing that day. When I'm at work, it's a Gerber MP600 Pro Scout with the blade removed.

I have a new bag on the way this very moment. I'll probably post about it eventually.
Nice! Seeing you previous choice, I'm excited to see the new bag you'll be toting  :salute:

Any input or additional info on your Lunada? I've been eyeing it for a while to swap my current bag

or a higher quality, slightly bigger one. Thanks!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 10:29:23 AM
I was looking at getting something like a Nutsac satchel, but for now it shall have to wait. On the other hand those can be very intelligent solutions
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 02:54:14 PM

Nice! Seeing you previous choice, I'm excited to see the new bag you'll be toting  :salute:

Any input or additional info on your Lunada? I've been eyeing it for a while to swap my current bag

or a higher quality, slightly bigger one. Thanks!

I love the Lunada. The organization options, build quality, and materials are top notch and I don't think you can really beat it in a sling bag of that size. Maxpedition gear is not what anyone would consider cheap; the Lunada is a pretty small bag and I paid $90 for it. That's well under retail, but still a good chunk of cash if your budget is tight. I haven't regretted the purchase for a minute though, the quality is definitely there. I'd say the main cons are related to weight. The 1000D nylon Maxpedition uses is highly abrasion resistant but also relatively heavy. Being a small sling bag, the Lunada can get uncomfortable if you overstuff it. But if you're looking to just pack daily stuff it isn't usually an issue. I considered getting a Remora, but I did a lot of research and decided it was just a little too small for my purposes. The Lunada has been a perfect fit size-wise and I don't really need the extra pouches... I just kinda like buying and using new gear  :D
If you have any questions about fitting specific items in it, or any of the specific features, feel free to ask. I'll be glad to take some pics and demonstrate anything I can.

My new acquisition is a Mountainsmith Rift, their small messenger bag;

If you've never tried anything by Mountainsmith, their bags are light and very well made. Plus they tend to have a nice stylish, sporty look. The outside shell is some variety of polyester blend that they rate at 600D, and the interior liner is 210D nylon. Ripstop I think. They have decent organization options in most of their bags, often with hidden compartments for money, documents, or small valuable items.Their interiors are also a very bright yellow, to give contrast with the contents so you can clearly see your stuff when it's deep in the bag or the lighting is poor.
Mountainsmith's prices are also very reasonable, in my opinion. The Rift runs about $50, and its capacity is on par with the Lunada. Their bigger messenger bag, the Hoist, retails for $90 but can be found as low as $58 on Amazon sometimes.The Rift has a little compartment in the lightly padded main area that can hold almost any tablet or possibly a very small netbook, while the Hoist has a special laptop pocket. I'll be happy to demo it (the Rift) with whatever items anybody asks about, just like the Lunada, so long as I have the item or a rough equivalent.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:03:08 PM by WoodsDuck »

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:27:28 AM
I've been using a timbuk2 classic messenger bag for about 8 months.  It has proven very handy when out and about and although I expected some comments about a "murse" it has drawn none.  If walking for longer distances I prefer a small pack. 

It sure beats trying to fill one's pockets with glasses, wallet etc. etc.  It also does not look "tactical" which I prefer to avoid (just my personal preference).

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-675/Classic-Messenger-Bag

It could do with a little bit more zippered organization however works quite well for my needs is well made and should last a long time.

John.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 12:29:31 AM
Woodsduck:

I should have mentioned that the Mountainsmith messenger bag is very nice looking.  I really like the appearance of it.

John.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 01:03:53 AM
Anyone carry a small shoulder bag around? I have a ripcurl one that carries my wallet keys phone charger battery pack spare knife or multi and a torch small note book and maybe paper work

Big sling bags and messenger bags are a real pain if loaded too much

I recommend you one small and cheap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8z5bgSwHA

A lot of pockets and organizers, strong and light (in black and olive green)
It is not a Maxpedition TANK, but is light...

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 01:07:43 AM
Cough, purse.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 02:12:24 PM
 :gimme:r
Cough, purse.

Sorry???

It is a small shoulder bag, just what he asked for and an usual  type in our country

Do you think the size affects to manliness???
It is neither pink, nor cute, only of content size.

Do you consider a tactical sling bag proper for office carry?? Seriously???

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 10:54:43 PM
I've been happily carried an IKEA Förenkla (Shoulderbag, 271 oz) for about a month now and it's been mostly good to me. At 14/18$ (member/non-member) it's fairly reasonably priced and it seems like quite some thought was put into it. Rubber bottom, metal zippers, padded tablet compartment and side pockets that hide away when not used are amongst the best features. Amongst the bad are that the front pocket is a bit hard to reach into due to the lip covering the zipper and the fact that it tends to bundle up when weighted down.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 10:30:02 PM
I found a new EDC bag today.  I was looking for a teardrop shaped bag to wear over my left shoulder and across my chest, with a large slash pocket on the back for a pistol that I could access with my right hand.  This was only $4.00 and it does the job. One modification is required and that is a Velcro patch needs to be sewn on the inside of the slash pocket to position the Velcro covered holster I've put in it.
EDCbag.JPG
* EDCbag.JPG (Filesize: 96.74 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 10:41:20 PM
I found a new EDC bag today.  I was looking for a teardrop shaped bag to wear over my left shoulder and across my chest, with a large slash pocket on the back for a pistol that I could access with my right hand.  This was only $4.00 and it does the job. One modification is required and that is a Velcro patch needs to be sewn on the inside of the slash pocket to position the Velcro covered holster I've put in it.
Cute :D
JR

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 02:09:06 PM
I have a Lowepro Streamline 250 in gray colour and I couldn't be happier with it. I prefer a backpack but I have used this little bag extensively and it works great; it can hold an impressive amount of stuff and remain manageable meaning that, normally, you don't have to empty half it's contents to get to that thing you're trying to reach. I forgot to mention it is a camera bag and comes with plenty of pockets to allow internal organisation.

https://www.amazon.com/StreamLine-Camera-Shoulder-Bag-Lowepro/dp/B00DFVQCLW

Overall, I'm very happy with it and it gets a double thumbs up by firiki :tu: :tu:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 11:26:24 PM
I think the Hello Kitty bag would be a great sleeper bag- no one would expect a decent folder, multitool and high powered flashlight are inside!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Dustin King

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 04:23:45 PM
I carry the Chrome Kadet for my lighter bag.  When I am working and have to haul a lap top I carry either the Chome Buran or Citizen.  Love their bags. 

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 04:46:15 PM
I carry the Chrome Kadet for my lighter bag.  When I am working and have to haul a lap top I carry either the Chome Buran or Citizen.  Love their bags.

I would like to see some pics of these. Don't know much about the brand.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 06:03:11 PM
Not carrying a whole backpack for a little mountain hike...

I much prefer these bags for short trips

My toys:

Offline Dustin King

Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 08:57:02 PM

I would like to see some pics of these. Don't know much about the brand.

I will upload a couple, new on the forum.  Still trying to figure out how to navigate it.  They are more of an urban/style bag.  Great quality and still very functional, but def not something like a maxpedition or tactical bag. 

Offline Dustin King

Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:54 PM
Smaller chrome kadet, I have found all their bags to be very comfortable. 

* images.jpeg (Filesize: 7.18 KB)
15727d2841157d.jpg
* 15727d2841157d.jpg (Filesize: 41.68 KB)

Offline Dustin King

Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:18 PM
This is just one of their bags in one color.  It may be worth a visit to their website at    http://www.chromeindustries.com/

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 10:09:51 PM
Wow, those messenger bags are a lot bigger than I first thought. A lot of the designs seem very fitted to urban use.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%