Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your "lost it" story?

Demel · 44 · 1731

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
What is your "lost it" story?
on: July 07, 2016, 02:02:09 AM
Has this ever happened to you? Throughout your day you check your EDC. Wallet? Check. Phone? Check. Knife? Check. All seems well. The day continues. You save the day by removing staples with your pliers. Some poor soul is eternally grateful because they found their ChapStick using your light. You are the :multi: man.

But then it happens. You check your front right pocket and the clip from your knife is not there.

You search all your pockets with hope but in vain.

You survey your surroundings with eyes of an eagle....tears begin build, your gut churns counterclockwise, and your fears are realized

You. Lost. Your. Knife.

:bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd: :megaslap:

This was my experience today. My first casualty. While working today, the Kershaw Cryo that had been assisting me with cutting string, scoring, and sharpening pencils had disappeared with no hope of being found. I work construction and the site has many paths and lots of people. Unfortunately it most likely was pocketed by another. Luckily it wasn't a more expensive knife, but it was a lost nonetheless. To replace or not I have yet to decide. But what is your story? Have you had a near lost experience? Please do tell.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: What is your "lost it" story?
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:42 AM
Yes unfortunately I have lost a Rebar that was never recovered :facepalm: I went straight home an ordered another with hopes that it would just be an extra one and I would find my lost one but alas it was not to be so :cry:

I also lost my first Vic Executive out in my backyard while working on something :bnghd: Luckily I found it after Winter around 8 months later :facepalm: That did end better as it didn't have rust or in any kind of bad shape :cheers:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 02:40:30 AM
If my mega folder fell out my pocket would cause a small earthquake, everyone around me would notice.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 02:46:12 AM
My Squirt PS4 has been MIA for over a month now.  I speculate that the P4 it replaced as my EDC got lonely and upset so arranged for the PS4 to be kidnapped - whatever it did worked, the P4 is back in my pocket and shows no signs of being replaced.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:35:24 AM
I lost my first real knife -a Gerber FAST Draw- on a public bus. Its actually what kick started my venture into EDCLand, as I needed a replacement, which ultimately led me here, and to a much larger knife and tool collection than I could have imagined.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 03:44:10 AM
I lost my first pocket knife, which I think was a Japanese SAK copy, when my sheath came open bouncing around a rough overgrown back paddock on our farm on an ATV  :cry: I replaced it with a Vic Huntsman  :tu:

I was holidaying with family and my Juice XE6 went missing. I thought I might have accidentally left it at the accommodation we had been at, but my Auntie couldn't find it. I was bummed, but it had been supplied by work, and when I told the boss I'd lost it, he said to just order a new one  :tu:

Fast forward what I think was nearly a couple of years, my sister rings me up in a :ahhh state from the airport. "Did you lose a Leatherman?!!!!"
It had ended up in a side pocket of her backpack, and slid right down the bottom obscured from view. Somehow she never found it, until she had been through airport security in Tasmania, Melbourne, New Zealand and then Melbourne again, where an eagle eyed X-ray man had finally spied it. Doesn't give me much confidence in some security, eh? All calmed down, my sister checked her bag and flew home, but she kept the Leatherman for her pain and suffering :rofl:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:13:58 AM
Very sad stories, but it's good to know I'm not alone. I had almost lost my Vulcan once. Now that was scary :ahhh good to hear some made it back home. Or at least at a family members house :facepalm:

If my mega folder fell out my pocket would cause a small earthquake, everyone around me would notice.
:rofl: and I'm sure...

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:22 AM
Very sad stories, but it's good to know I'm not alone. I had almost lost my Vulcan once. Now that was scary :ahhh good to hear some made it back home. Or at least at a family members house :facepalm:

:rofl: and I'm sure...
(Image removed from quote.)

:facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:55:05 AM
I've lost an Al Mar Vulture, an Al Mar Eagle, 2 Spyderco Pro-venetors and a Case executive lock back.  I believe that someday when I pack everything up to move out of this house I may find at least one of the Pro-Venetors.  The rest are well and truly gone and I will never see them again. :cry:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 08:13:19 AM
And that's what I get for having multiple tabs open.

Carry On
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:36:33 AM by Sea Monster »

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 10:26:01 AM
Well, when I read "lost it" at first, I thought you meant going nuts and striking ppl with multitools or something :P  :rofl:

I forgot one LM Skeletool CX on a cab, once. I've been trying to fix something on my way somewhere and I -stupidly, yes- kinda slipped in under my butt for a second. Then, I forgot it was there and left the car. I'm sure I made the driver pretty happy.

Then, during a trekking my ex left my Victorinox Rucksack on a rock. When I realized and ran back to that rock it was too late... I did love that tool dearly, I had a lot of memories with it. Had to fix the broken knife tip more than once, so it looked kinda odd, but still...

Last, a LM Rebar was stolen from my rucksack  :twak: :rant: :rant: :rant: I still recall that one with teary eyes. Though, this event made me get my first LM Wave as a gift :) :multi:

After all these, now I'm working on a bio-electro-mechanical cybernetic implant to embed my tools in my arm or leg, so I never lose any again. 8)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 11:47:03 AM
I lost my favorite folder on a planetarium at a museum years ago, it fell out of my pocket (was being carried unclipped) while I was sitting watching the stars and the show.  I realised at the museum's shop, but when I went back it had already disappeared (another show had started and ended on the very same room, so many people had gone through that place in just an hour)

My second loss was my first and most beloved SAK (Vic Outrider) on a Restaurant when I left it on a rock at the parking lot, after using the scissors, and forgot to pick it up as we had to go quickly and in a hurry to get on time to our destination. I realised my loss when we got down of the car, 200 miles and 6 hours later.

Finally, I "lost" my Navy K631 at the hands of some college guy who probably thought he liked it more than I did, and would make better use out of it    >:(
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 12:07:03 PM
I lost my favorite folder on a planetarium at a museum years ago, it fell out of my pocket (was being carried unclipped) while I was sitting watching the stars and the show.  I realised at the museum's shop, but when I went back it had already disappeared (another show had started and ended on the very same room, so many people had gone through that place in just an hour)

you lost your... "folder"? As in: ?

ca Offline JP

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:48:13 PM
^^^

Over the years I have lost many knives.

Most recently it has been a Micra and a Skeletool. I have no idea where they are.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 02:01:53 PM
I have a bad habit of keeping my Leatherman in plier mode and setting it in the knife pocket of Columbia Shorts while fishing.

I reached down to grab the pliers to unhook a fish and they weren't there, I knew instantly they must have fallen while I was jumping (literally) from lake to lake.

Made my way back and found them stuck in the ground like a dart.

I also lost my Wingman in a furniture store, drive 45 minutes and realized it had fallen out.......

Went back to the store and it was stuck between the cushions on the last couch we sat on.

Been fortunate enough to never lose one, but I don't carry my Wingman because of the crappie clip.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:03:58 PM by NKlamerus »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 02:54:01 PM
I few weeks ago I was taking a picture of my Old Cross farmer on my morning walk with my dog. I placed it on the branch of a tree and took the picture. I got distracted when a neighbor walked by with her dog. I talked to her for a while and then headed home. A little while later when getting ready to post the pics on the forum I realized that I had forgotten to retrieve my knife. Panic set in and I rushed out of the house half a block away to find my Farmer still sitting in the tree   :facepalm:   

Tragedy narrowly averted   :D

Said picture

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 04:49:14 PM
I find things, I don't lose them!
 8) 8)

Maybe checking everything every 57 seconds is the reason, I don't know...
 :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 09:33:36 PM
I lost my Micra for a couple of years in my parents car. Got it back when my uncle bought the car and did a deep clean between the seats. I was really missing it when I lost it but now I haven't really carried out since I got it back.

Also lost a Surefire flashlight when clearing brushes. It's probably at the bottom of one out of three rather tall piles that I dragged together. I'm considering it lost and got myself a cheaper SolarForce instead.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 11:38:53 PM
Year ago I went trekking in winter trough wood and I lost my LM rebar BO.
I carried in a nylon LM sheath in horizontal position.
Big mistake, it slipped between the flap and the body of the sheath, perhaps it was not very tight closed.
Argggggggggggggg!!!!  :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 04:39:55 PM
Years ago I lost one that was really, really special, and I felt pretty damned bad about it, until fortunately it resurfaced a few hours later.

Some of the long (long, long long!) time members will remember a modder named Scibeer- his real name was (and I suppose still is....) Bill, and he made me a beautiful micarta scaled OHT- it's the top one in this photo:

I had it in my pocket and took it to work.  My job back then was driving a cargo truck and picking up bags of clothing, hotel linens etc for a dry cleaning company, and just after I had tossed a bunch of bags in the back I noticed that my knife was missing.  I searched everywhere but it was nowhere to be found.  I can't honestly describe how crappy I felt- it would have been bad enough losing a knife, but I felt even worse losing a custom knife, and even worse still because I'd lost a gift from a friend.

Finally I decided it was lost and I wasn't going to get it back so I left, finished my route and went back to the depot, where I started unloading bags, and found my knife, clipped to one of them!  As I was tossing the bags in the back of the truck one must have caught on the pocket clip and hauled the knife out. 

All of the upset from earlier washed away as I found the knife, realized what happened and noted that there weren't any scratches on it, the clip wasn't bent or ripped out....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 04:52:43 PM
Years ago I lost one that was really, really special, and I felt pretty damned bad about it, until fortunately it resurfaced a few hours later.

Some of the long (long, long long!) time members will remember a modder named Scibeer- his real name was (and I suppose still is....) Bill, and he made me a beautiful micarta scaled OHT- it's the top one in this photo:

I had it in my pocket and took it to work.  My job back then was driving a cargo truck and picking up bags of clothing, hotel linens etc for a dry cleaning company, and just after I had tossed a bunch of bags in the back I noticed that my knife was missing.  I searched everywhere but it was nowhere to be found.  I can't honestly describe how crappy I felt- it would have been bad enough losing a knife, but I felt even worse losing a custom knife, and even worse still because I'd lost a gift from a friend.

Finally I decided it was lost and I wasn't going to get it back so I left, finished my route and went back to the depot, where I started unloading bags, and found my knife, clipped to one of them!  As I was tossing the bags in the back of the truck one must have caught on the pocket clip and hauled the knife out. 

All of the upset from earlier washed away as I found the knife, realized what happened and noted that there weren't any scratches on it, the clip wasn't bent or ripped out....

Def

Got lucky there, man. And might I add; holy smurf those are nice!  :gimme:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 05:00:48 PM

Def

Yeah, they are gorgeous.  I think if Bill was still around he'd be driving around in a solid gold Mercedes bought with the proceeds of his mods.  He did some gorgeous knives, and I consider myself very lucky to have a few of them, including a blue ALOX Huntsman and a couple of HAIII anodized models.

I had one of the HAIII (virtually indestructible) mods with me when I went to Portland, Maine a while back for the MTO meetup at Lake Sebago, and I showed it to the owner of Freeport Knife Shop named Doug Dillman.  Doug used to work for Victorinox and worked a lot with Dan Jacquart from the Official Victorinox Collector's Society, and I believe now runs the Society.  I told him there was no way he could scratch it, and he didn't believe me, so he pulled a quarter out of his pocket and started gouging away at it.  My confidence took a serious drop as I watched little silver flakes fly everywhere, but when he stopped, it turned out he had been grinding away the quarter, like cheese on a grater!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 05:07:39 PM

Def

Yeah, they are gorgeous.  I think if Bill was still around he'd be driving around in a solid gold Mercedes bought with the proceeds of his mods.  He did some gorgeous knives, and I consider myself very lucky to have a few of them, including a blue ALOX Huntsman and a couple of HAIII anodized models.

I had one of the HAIII (virtually indestructible) mods with me when I went to Portland, Maine a while back for the MTO meetup at Lake Sebago, and I showed it to the owner of Freeport Knife Shop named Doug Dillman.  Doug used to work for Victorinox and worked a lot with Dan Jacquart from the Official Victorinox Collector's Society, and I believe now runs the Society.  I told him there was no way he could scratch it, and he didn't believe me, so he pulled a quarter out of his pocket and started gouging away at it.  My confidence took a serious drop as I watched little silver flakes fly everywhere, but when he stopped, it turned out he had been grinding away the quarter, like cheese on a grater!

Def

:rofl: That is too awesome!

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 05:19:04 PM
Big mistake, it slipped between the flap and the body of the sheath, perhaps it was not very tight closed.
Argggggggggggggg!!!!  :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

What is this BO thing ppl keep mentioning? I thought it meant "bottle opener" but what you said up there made me doubt myself...  :think: :think: :think:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 05:25:51 PM

What is this BO thing ppl keep mentioning? I thought it meant "bottle opener" but what you said up there made me doubt myself...  :think: :think: :think:

Black oxide. It's a common finish used on "tactical" multitools. Most of the time when you see a black name brand MT it will be BO.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 06:32:06 PM

Black oxide. It's a common finish used on "tactical" multitools. Most of the time when you see a black name brand MT it will be BO.

Ouch!  :doh:
Thank you :)

england Offline Kev D

Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 06:39:52 PM
I have never lost a knife or multi, the only thing I've lost in recent times was my wallet last year.  I was convinced it was on the mantle above my fire, but it was suddenly gone. It made me paranoid that someone  had taken it from my house. As a result I fitted security cameras to monitor all around my house and also put a tile bluetooth tracker in my wallet.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 01:31:45 AM
   My story is a lost and found one! When I was a kid we used to visit my grandparents up in Pittston and West Pittston PA. We were visiting my Dads side of the family, which at the time was just his mother. I was exploring and I came across an old knife that belonged to my grandfather. He passed away in 1965, so this was sometime after that, maybe 1967-68. My grandmother gave it to me, and surprisingly, my parents let me keep it! At some point I just lost track of it and forgot about it. Several years ago when going through my toolbox in the garage, there it was!  I quickly took it and wrapped in in a tissue and put it in a box along with some other knives. I labelled the box to make sure I would never lose it again. To this day, I have no idea how I ever found that knife and rescued it from oblivion! Here is a photo of the knife:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 03:08:19 AM
Lost

Told it many times, New Years Day wildfire in '06 took my parent's farm along with 99.9% of my collection. The fire was so hot it reduced SAKs to a pile of blades that you could bend like a paperclip (which I did with a 108mm SAK blade).  :facepalm:    My entire sporting goods store stock of SAKs and traditionals plus what I had collected over the years was gone.

Found (at my house in West Texas)  I had these left: (from 40+ years of collecting)

1 Pioneer (my first, from '83)
1 Western hunting knife
1 Mora
1 Case Hawkbill

Some pix....
houseadj.jpg
* houseadj.jpg (Filesize: 173.29 KB)
farm fire 1adj.jpg
* farm fire 1adj.jpg (Filesize: 147.25 KB)
Some  knivesADJ.jpg
* Some knivesADJ.jpg (Filesize: 100.45 KB)
my firearmsadj.jpg
* my firearmsadj.jpg (Filesize: 207.29 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 04:37:01 AM
Lost

Told it many times, New Years Day wildfire in '06 took my parent's farm along with 99.9% of my collection. The fire was so hot it reduced SAKs to a pile of blades that you could bend like a paperclip (which I did with a 108mm SAK blade).  :facepalm:    My entire sporting goods store stock of SAKs and traditionals plus what I had collected over the years was gone.

Found (at my house in West Texas)  I had these left: (from 40+ years of collecting)

1 Pioneer (my first, from '83)
1 Western hunting knife
1 Mora
1 Case Hawkbill

Some pix....

That is a very sad story SAK Guy :( Glad you didn't give up collecting though but that sure would have put a person in a very bad place for a while I am sure :-\

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%