Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Alox scale mods?

kaput · 13 · 1944

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Vic Alox scale mods?
on: July 07, 2016, 10:18:56 PM
I'm curious. Without paying a premium and buying special/limited edition, what other ways are there to make your Alox scales unique?

Anybody have any Victorinox Alox scale mods? Any tips or tricks on ways to age, color or modify?

Thanks!  :cheers:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Vic Alox scale mods?
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:57:37 PM
I hear that if you throw your Alox off the roof a couple times, you rapidly increase the "aging" process.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:12:31 PM
So with my non existent knowledge of aluminum or alox scales hopefully someone would have some input.

What are colored alox knives painted with? Can you in anyway dye the aluminum?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:54:24 PM
So with my non existent knowledge of aluminum or alox scales hopefully someone would have some input.

Sadly, aluminum scales are quite durable. The Scales are anodized, not painted, so the only way you are getting the color off is with good old fashioned elbow grease (or a belt sander). And you can't in general, dye metal.

There's been some great mods (just look at Syph's earlier stuff, before he went all Titanium crazy),but Alox really requires access to a mill (or at the very least, a drill press), to do much modding.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 03:52:49 PM
There are a couple of threads around in the mod section where people have painted their scales with acrylic paint of nail varnish but I don't know how well they weather. The advantage with that is you can swap the colours to match your outfit and nails I guess.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:13:37 PM
... The advantage with that is you can swap the colours to match your outfit and nails I guess.

:rofl:   :ahhh    :rofl:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:34:00 PM
There are a couple of threads around in the mod section where people have painted their scales with acrylic paint of nail varnish but I don't know how well they weather. The advantage with that is you can swap the colours to match your outfit and nails I guess.

I know Volvo did that and released their car colours as nail varnish. Once your knife, nails and car are matched you should be looking fabulous!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 04:19:27 AM

I know Volvo did that and released their car colours as nail varnish. Once your knife, nails and car are matched you should be looking fabulous!

Great now I am thinking what color would bring out my eyes :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:04:06 AM

Sadly, aluminum scales are quite durable. The Scales are anodized, not painted, so the only way you are getting the color off is with good old fashioned elbow grease (or a belt sander). And you can't in general, dye metal.

There's been some great mods (just look at Syph's earlier stuff, before he went all Titanium crazy),but Alox really requires access to a mill (or at the very least, a drill press), to do much modding.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

I'm glad the alox aluminum is so durable. That is a great trait in a knife, especially when they are used on a daily basis, like myself. Im not one to keep knives prestine, I'm a user...

Syphs stuff is amazing. I looked back into the older parts of the thread and he has always been ahead of the curve and thinking outside the box. And with his new machinery, phew. Amazing Ti goodness.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:10:32 AM
There are a couple of threads around in the mod section where people have painted their scales with acrylic paint of nail varnish but I don't know how well they weather.
They must be fairly old, I've delved deep into that sub forum  ;)

Any links? I'd like to test the waters here, but it's not über important to me, coupled with the fact I only have a couple alox knives to begin with.

Also, the weathered look seems to be popular with myself and most others here, so that is no deterrent. And I'm assuming that is a big reason Victorinox has gone silver for alox. It simply does not show wear (like other colored models)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01:16 AM
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:14:02 PM
If you spray the scales with an oven cleaner that contains Sodium Hydroxide, and let that sit for a few minutes, then rinse with water, you'll strip the ano off.
However, you'd then be left with a unanodized oair of scales that'll keep oxidizing, so it's a waste of time IMO.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 08:02:24 PM
Here are a couple of links you might find interesting.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48273.msg797556.html#msg797556

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47048.msg772881.html#msg772881
That's not exactly the look I'd be going for. Nice to see some testing of the waters here though. Thanks for the links, I overlooked those somehow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD