Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll: What is the worst MT Bottle Opener? With GAW !

Poll

What is the worst MT Bottle Opener?

Gerber Dime
1 (1.8%)
Leatherman regular (Wave, ST etc)
15 (27.3%)
Leatherman Skele
1 (1.8%)
Leatherman Squirt
11 (20%)
OPT (all the same?)
0 (0%)
Timberline Swiss Key OPT
4 (7.3%)
Victorinox/Wenger regular BO
0 (0%)
Vic 85/91mm combi
1 (1.8%)
Vic 108mm BO/saw combi
1 (1.8%)
Vic 58mm combi
1 (1.8%)
Wenger combi
1 (1.8%)
SOG Crosscut
2 (3.6%)
Other Gerber keychain tools
4 (7.3%)
Gerber MP600
2 (3.6%)
Bucktool 350
2 (3.6%)
Mission Critical Parasite
0 (0%)
Leatherman PST
0 (0%)
Gerber BG Compact
1 (1.8%)
LM  Minitool
1 (1.8%)
LM Juice
1 (1.8%)
LM Micra
0 (0%)
Gerber Flik
4 (7.3%)
Vic 74mm - Is no BO a bad BO ?? ;-)
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Hi Guys,

Well here is the first of my NLC giveaways with a bottle opener poll
And nicely timed for the MTo 10th Anniversary BO challenge, and hopefully a bit of fun.

Bottle Openers are a feature of nearly every MT of every type... And I never realised there were so many until I looked at the BO challenge last year.
But the question is ‘What is the worst MT Bottle Opener?’

I have put a list up there of common BOs that I am familiar with
– If your worst BO is not in the list please let me know and I will put it up.

I have grouped lots of BOs together as I believe they are the same - eg the Vic/Wenger 85/91/93/111/130;
- Likewise the regular LM BOs (Wave, ST, Charge, PST etc etc) and all OPTs (they seem the same to me), although I did put the Timberline OPT in the list – Why – See the 2016 BO challenge here:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67123.msg1295537.html#msg1295537

If you disagree with the groupings (in terms of worst BO) again let me know and I will add it to the list.
I have allowed people to change their one vote, in case a tool is missed in the earlier lists and you want to vote for it later

What are the prizes?

Well we have gone very blue - A Victorinox Rambler (left) and a Victorinox Rally (right), both tools appropriately containing a BO!
Both are second hand. Not such a generous GAW – Wait for the main GAW for that!!

So what do I have to do to win?
Firstly, note ‘I’m in’ and tell me whether you prefer the Rambler, or Rally, or don’t mind.
Secondly, tell me (us) your worst BO story - and while you are at it, optionally, you may want to tell us your favourite MT BO and why.

No need for a list – I will probably add one just before the end to make sure we have everybody.

We’ll run the poll and GAW for a couple of weeks
I am departing from the usual ‘draw for a GAW’ and will select my favourite two stories – I would also prefer these MTs to go to our SAK sceptic members.  ;) - So they get to try a wonderful Vic keychain tool!
Note: However, I reserve the right to wimp out of selecting and just do a draw.

To me there is a clear winner of this poll – But let’s see what you all think.
Here’s my second worst story - I was not too keen on the regular LM BOs – If you use it with handles folded the bottom handle often prevents the opener hook getting under the cap rim. However, using the tool with the handles open fixes that – So I will excuse LM. ;)

I have two favourites, for the same reason, and hard to admit as a SAK man!
The LM Skele, and Gerber Dime
Why? The both work brilliantly first time, every time, and you do not need to open anything to get at the BO, so very convenient!!
Thoroughly well designed tools.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:23:04 AM by Huntsman »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Poll: What is the worst MT Bottle Opener? With GAW !
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:33:03 AM
First, congrats on making NLC.   :cheers:   :cheers:

Terrible bottle openers, how about the CrossCut?
I was going to suggest another but that more falls into the worst toolmaker category.

Right where was I, oh yeah, Rambler all the way baby.

Worst stories, where to start?
Popping caps with a spanner all arvo long for the boys, pretty girl walks in, last of the fancy beers, I smack the cap off taking half the bottle neck with it...
Drunk at pretty girl's place, with super slickness I chip the fancy stone bench top...
North Island garage party, open beer for pretty girl spilling a little on her, she pours it down my top, I dowse her with the keg catcher bucket...
Will that do?

Best bottle opener, I'm really liking the one on the Signal, it works real good.

Thanks for joining in on the fun and hosting a giveaway, happy tenth anniversary Huntsman.   :cheers:   :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:47:13 AM
I'm in, prefer the Rambler too.  Can't open bottles for the life of me with the Leatherman can/bottle openers.  Can't open cans very well either. Find myself going to other means (SAK in my other pocket or even the pliers) when the need arises.:facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:48:45 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:54:16 AM
I'm in for the Rambler :tu:

I think the bottle opener on the Wave is crappy. It punctures the cap before you can get the cap off! And that leads me to my story. I was working at my site for my first Christmas in Montana. A chef, six cops, a few of their family members, and myself as the Facility Manager. The Chef had prepared a magnificent feast (okay, it was barely edible (had to drink the yams from a mug)) and as we were laying all the food out we came to the bottles of sparkling grape juice. Somehow, in the entire kitchen, not one bottle opener. No problem - I've got my Wave. I torque down and a narrow jet of purple foam streaks across the room and into the lounge, narrowly missing a few of our guests. I yanked the bottle up to divert the stream, putting a beautiful splattered line of grape juice on the ceiling tiles :D

Probably my favorite opener is the Gerber Octane :tu:

Thanks for the chance, Huntsman :salute:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:56:02 AM
 :cheers: :cheers: congratz on making NLC :cheers: :cheers:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 07:57:09 AM
Actually, the Gerber keychain family Shortcut/Clutch/Mini-Suspension/BG Compact Multi/Splice tools, while I like them a bunch, their BO is almost worthless. But not as worthless as the LM Squirt!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:03:36 AM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:06 AM
Actually, the Gerber keychain family Shortcut/Clutch/Mini-Suspension/BG Compact Multi/Splice tools, while I like them a bunch, their BO is almost worthless!

And BTW, I'm in...love Ramblers.

Congratulations on joining the NLC and thanks for the GAW...   :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:01:36 AM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:04:28 AM
Voted - I will stay out of this GAW.    :cheers:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 08:23:38 AM
Congrats on NLC and thank you for the great kindness. I don't have a Rambler so I am in.

Worst bottle lifter I saw was the Gerber MP600. I was waiting in a queue with wifey, I pulled out the big flicky to pop the cap it failed 3 times.. she started laughing at me and cursing my dumb knives and all the money I spend on them so I blushed and pulled out the Victorinox Rogue who did quick work of it.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:53:31 AM
Congrats on NLC and thank you for the great kindness. I don't have a Rambler so I am in.

Worst bottle lifter I saw was the Gerber MP600. I was waiting in a queue with wifey, I pulled out the big flicky to pop the cap it failed 3 times.. she started laughing at me and cursing my dumb knives and all the money I spend on them so I blushed and pulled out the Victorinox Rogue who did quick work of it.

:rofl: lol that sounds like a bad moment

Among the ones I used LM Wave's opener is the worst for me. The tools needs to stay flipped open (flip opened? :think: ) if you wanna use the BO, otherwise the lower handle prevents you from getting to the cap. Also, as rdub934 mentioned, it punctures the cap unless you are boringly careful.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 09:27:51 AM
I'm in? (Love?)

It's not up there that I saw, but the one on my PST probably causes me the most grief.

I don't have a great story about one time it pierced the lid, caused the pressure in the bottle to shoot it out of my hand and knock granny's teeth out or anything, but it's still annoying.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:43:50 AM
Voted.

I'm in for the Rambler  :cheers:

Really hate the LM bottle opener, as it is a can opener masquerading as a bottle opener masquerading as a can opener, it has to be accessed by opening the tool first, and the bevel is on the wrong side for a right handed person (score win for the lefties?).

Not a bottle related story but a soft drink / pop can story. Got a can of cola out of the fridge and as I opened it, it sprayed everywhere, up my sleeve, all over the kitchen.... The can had gotten too cold in the fridge and started to ice up, creating excess pressure

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 10:03:04 AM
Nice GAW Huntsman  :salute: Being a SAK Zealot I will duck out so someone skeptical benefits.

I once tried to open a bottle with the can opener which resulted in a pierced cap and egg on my face.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 10:16:23 AM
I am in for the Rambler, my wife could use this handy little tool, thanks for the GAW.

I don't drink beer, but all the opener on my MT work just fine.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 12:38:12 PM
Nice GAW Huntsman  :salute: Being a SAK Zealot I will duck out so someone skeptical benefits.

I once tried to open a bottle with the can opener which resulted in a pierced cap and egg on my face.

How did that happen?? :rofl:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 01:50:01 PM
Congrats on joining the ranks of NLC   :cheers:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 02:11:55 PM
Congrats on attaining NLC status :cheers: and thank you for the GAW  :salute:

I'm staying out as I already have all the 58mm Vics I need, I just wanted to add that I voted for that Timberline thing which I very begrudgingly accept to call a MT...
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 02:19:29 PM
Welcome to the zombieness!
 :cheers: :drink:

Thanks for the opportunity, I'm all in for the Rambler. I already got a Rally, but I don't carry it very often because I miss the scissors.
 8) 8)

As for the worse BO, I'd say the one coming from me, when I'm huffing and puffing, trying to open a nice cold bottle of beer with the Vic combo tool. The goddamn forsaken piece of... metal... is always twisting to one side and sliding and not gripping at the cap! Most of the times, I end up using it as a lever, using my thumb as pivot point. Like this:

When young and foolish, sometimes I'd go like this, just to show off:

Admit it...
Show content
I was damn pretty, huh?...

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 02:52:04 PM
Don't have a picture right now, but Bucktool 350.  Very narrow and very short!
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

it Offline danilo

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 07:00:22 PM
I'm in for the Rambler!

I've voted the gerber dime, at first look I thought that would be a nice working BO, but upon testing it, it's a pity, worst than the charge one (that at least, when you've discovered how to maneuver, works).

The best BO hands down, is the victorinox one, works like a charm on the first try, every single time. It's better than certain dedicated BO I have  in the kitchen.

I haven't tried them all, so I may be missing something here!

Thanks for the generosity, and good luck everybody.

Danilo

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 07:22:24 PM
I'm in, I kinda like the Rambler too (the blue is prettier)

Worst (to me) is hands down the Leatherman cap lifter/bottle opener. It makes a pretty good can opener, but  I hate using it as a bottle opener with a passion.

Which leads to my worst BO opening story. Was visiting my father, and went to get a couple beers, when I realized I didn't know where the bottle opener was. "No problem" i thought, and pulled out my bright ORANGE FUSE, and proceeded to completely fail at opening the beer, right in front of my dad, his girlfriend, and my fiance :doh:. Got laughed at by the entire company, and i sheepishly opened the beer with the opener my dad slid across the counter.

I have to admit, the best opener is on the Skeletool. It is a great bottle opener, an OK knife, and a very uncomfortable pair of pliers (which is why I don't own one).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:23:31 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 07:53:03 PM
I'm not entering, but there is one tool that is TWICE as bad at opening bottles: Mission Critical Parasite (I think that's what it was called) has two bottle openers for the sake of symmetry, and neither of them work.  At all.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 08:06:59 PM
The opener on my Surge likes to punch holes in some bottle caps. That's about the worst experience I've had.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 08:09:41 PM
  Vic Manager, don't see in the list.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline lichan

Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 10:43:06 PM
I'm in for the Rambler. I'll go with the Leatherman bottle opener, also. I once tried to open a beer in a group of friends and managed to poke a hole in the lid. To save face, I rotated the bottle and punched it again. After using the pliers to widen the hole, I put in a straw, trying to act all continental! I was known as strawman after that.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 11:42:52 PM
I'm in for the Rambler. I'll go with the Leatherman bottle opener, also. I once tried to open a beer in a group of friends and managed to poke a hole in the lid. To save face, I rotated the bottle and punched it again. After using the pliers to widen the hole, I put in a straw, trying to act all continental! I was known as strawman after that.

Sir, you literally made me laugh out loud :))

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 11:58:13 PM
I had a laugh at that one as well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2016, 04:25:17 AM
Worst has to be my Gerber Bear Grylls Compact, it simply doesn't have enough lip to hold onto the cap when lifting.

Can't understand the hate for the standard LM combo. It bites nicely into the cap, doesn't ever slip, has plenty of leverage... never ever takes more than one try. Works a lot better than the Vic one. The Vic is too short and tends to just bend the crimped portion of the cap rather than actually lifting it.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 09, 2016, 04:39:36 AM
 :nothingtoadd:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 05:21:20 AM
The can had gotten too cold in the fridge and started to ice up, creating excess pressure

Yes.....

My work released a PSA about leaving soft drinks in the freezer.

Apparently it's a serious issue (or it happened one time, and someone particularly sensitive got coke on their microwave meal and it became the lawsuit of the century, I don't know how these things work)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%