Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ganzo Tools

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Ganzo Tools
on: July 08, 2016, 08:20:41 PM
So I've heard many times that Ganzo is a big selling brand all over the world, probably owing to all the generic tools they make for store brands and the like.
But which Ganzo tools are actually good?

I know they're unlikely to be as good as any Leatherman or Victorinox, but do any of them hold up to regular/semi-heavy use?
I came across a G302B with bit kit for $30, (MSRP is allegedly $80  :whistle:) but is it reliable enough to be worth even that low price point?
What about the G202 or G103 that come in under $20?

If anyone has actually used a Ganzo for any extended time I'd like to hear about it, and pics are always welcome. I've been curious about these clunky-looking things for a while.

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: Ganzo Tools
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:12:12 AM
On Amazon, you can get a Gerber Suspension for $24.50, a Gerber MP400 for $31.19 or a Leatherman Wingman for $29.47.  I think these are all superior budget options to a Ganzo tool.  (I have seen all of these on Amazon at lower prices from time to time as well.) 

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:34:11 AM
On Amazon, you can get a Gerber Suspension for $24.50, a Gerber MP400 for $31.19 or a Leatherman Wingman for $29.47.  I think these are all superior budget options to a Ganzo tool.  (I have seen all of these on Amazon at lower prices from time to time as well.)

So you feel a Suspension is better than any of Ganzo's offerings? I've never used either, so I can only go by the less than stellar comments the Suspension gets here.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:35:20 AM
Suspension gets a lot of crap, but in my opinion the Ganzo tools are just crappier, heavier, less-robust Suspension knockoffs.  I quite like my Suspension.  It has some frustrating aspects (low tool density, short blades, heavy/bulky) but you get all that with the Ganzos just slightly worse.  The locking system on the Suspension is my favorite of any multitool.  I can close everything one-handed.  For $25 I think a Suspension is well worth the price (and sometimes I see it for under $20). 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:36:47 AM by NetsNJ »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:26:15 PM
I've had the G202B and the G301 still rides in the vehicle kit.
I would pay $20 or $25 for them, as I did, but not more.

I've used them pretty hard, and here my thoughts:
+ They have a great spring and cutting wire (or in my case wooden twigs and sticks) is comforttable, definitely easier and quicker
+ Their steel is soft, but really stainless. They won't rust where my Gerbers, LMs and SOGs will
+ The universal adapter + bit kit that comes with them adds a lot of versatility. The adapter fits also the LM and Gerber Phillips driver, a true plus for me.
- They weigh a lot, and are quite buly, with much wasted space, overly thick washers and don't really have an intelligent, weight saving design
- Their tool loadout is the same in most of their series, just nothing special and most tools are small and flimsy, especially considering size/weight. Their OHO tools, though, open fast, easy and smooth. Locks are great on the higher end Ganzos, accessible and reliable
- The sheath is crap. The "walls" material is nice, but the belt straps and inner, thin tetile is pure crap. Broke two of them in less than half a year

So yup, they are a bit above the classic unbranded MT, have nicer implements and better construction, nice springs, but bulky, heavy bodies and forget about warranties....
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:32:30 AM
Yeah, the warranty thing is pretty significant. I suppose even if they were on par with the Suspension, Gerber wins out because of their great warranty service. I actually kind of dig the way some of the Ganzo tools look, though I can't nail down exactly what it is that grabs me. Sounds like when you get down to it, the construction and service just aren't going to beat out a Gerber or one of the budget Leatherman models.
I've just been wondering for a while where all the Ganzo fans are online. Almost all the reviews you see are just "I got this MT three minutes ago, it has these implements, it's probably good." So of course I turned to the vast knowledge source that is MTO.
Thanks for the info, guys. Think I'll stay away from the Ganzos unless I see an absolute doorbuster sale on one of the better looking models.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 09:44:07 AM
Have a look at Cima too.  I tested one a while ago and it was not that bad.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 05:38:52 PM
I've seen and tried two Ganzo MTs (can't remember the model names; I think the one of them was G202) and I am not impressed at all. They feel clumsy and too bulky for the number of tools contained in them. If you can find them for about $15, they would be fine. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 20$ for those MTs.

Offline Christos Segounas

• New User
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:48:46 AM
Hi guys.
I just ordered my first multi tool off Fasttech, a Ganzo G201.
Have to say I'm pretty excited about this purchase, and it's not even close to getting here yet. :)
I have been spending too much time at work in the past few years and been unable to organize my life anywhere near as well as I would want to.
I very often find myself constantly needing a tool and having no idea where my wife has put it, sometimes, neither does she.
Seeing as I carry a shoulder backpack with me always for more than 20 years now, I have the flexibility to carry a lot of stuff around with me, including a multi tool so,well, I expect this to be of great help to me in the future and,hopefully, no more looking around.
Thing is, you could offer me a better quality or better design multi tool for free or this Ganzo and I would still choose the Ganzo.
It comes down to functionality.
I expect that 90% of the use of this multi tool for me will come from that 11-piece bit kit that comes along with it.
So, anything else that wants to compete with this tool at around this price point will have to have at least the same functionality.
I don't expect a multi tool to make a difference in my life because it has a can opener or a nail file.
It's that bit kit that's gonna do it,pliers, maybe scissors every once in a while and the rest hardly ever I suppose but always nice to have for the few occasions they will be needed.
I'm curious to find out if this tool is all I expected it to be.
Obviously no heavy duty work on my end but most certainly things that need a tool to get done pop up very frequently.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 02:29:19 PM
Hi guys.
Have to say I'm pretty excited about this purchase, and it's not even close to getting here yet. :)
I have been spending too much time at work in the past few years and been unable to organize my life anywhere near as well as I would want to.
I very often find myself constantly needing a tool and having no idea where my wife has put it, sometimes, neither does she.
Seeing as I carry a shoulder backpack with me always for more than 20 years now, I have the flexibility to carry a lot of stuff around with me, including a multi tool so,well, I expect this to be of great help to me in the future and,hopefully, no more looking around.
Thing is, you could offer me a better quality or better design multi tool for free or this Ganzo and I would still choose the Ganzo.
I expect that 90% of the use of this multi tool for me will come from that 11-piece bit kit that comes along with it.
So, anything else that wants to compete with this tool at around this price point will have to have at least the same functionality.
I don't expect a multi tool to make a difference in my life because it has a can opener or a nail file.
It's that bit kit that's gonna do it,pliers, maybe scissors every once in a while and the rest hardly ever I suppose but always nice to have for the few occasions they will be needed.
Obviously no heavy duty work on my end but most certainly things that need a tool to get done pop up very frequently.

I'll be very interested to hear how it performs for you  :tu:

And welcome to the forum, mate!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 03:58:32 PM
Hi guys.

I'll be very interested to hear how it performs for you  :tu:

And welcome to the forum, mate!

I'll also like hearing your impressions. I have had two ganzos and they are certainly serviceable tools

Of the Cheaper tools that I own, they're the most useful, better built and decent/capable.
My 301 still sees a little action from time to time, even if its mainly as a loaner. These are my favorite 3 from the non-famous brands;

Hope you are satisfied and it works out for you!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline Christos Segounas

• New User
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:49 PM
Thank you guys :)
I'll be sure to get back with the first impressions of a newbie into the multi tool world.
Meanwhile I will enjoy reading the rest of the forum while waiting, I bet there's a ton of stuff to learn  :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 02:27:01 AM
I feel so ashamed even asking this... Kinda.  >:D

But anyone know the ganzo model for the spyderco paramilitary?  :facepalm:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ca Offline Dem

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 07:23:31 AM
g729/730/732 look like them.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 09:32:55 AM
g729/730/732 look like them.
Yes g729. But with the "axis" lock  ;)

I was just seeing how inexpensive they were, found some videos with glowing reviews too... Because the tenacious has similar body to the para2, but still Chinese made, so why not the 729? I dunno. I don't need another knife, was just curious.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:36:07 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24